How do you define your stroke?

re massive or minor again

I'd just like to say something

At first when the paralysis & deficits are at their worse & the hospital horror is recent - I'm sure mot feel it is the end of the world & rightly so duuring my 6 mos in stroke unit I saw many strokees come in that could use their legs right awatyto pull themselves Like walking in chair

Some of my roommates were alllowed to take themselves to bathroom pretty well upon admission

I wstill wasn't allowed at 6 mos.

I for one appreciate my doc's honesty I would prefer to know exactly what I'm up against--- he never said I wouldn't improve .. just that hredidn't hold much hope for my arm.

I do have to & will keep trying & exrrcising --- but you can't exercise what you can't moveI find the truth less depressing than wondering what is wrong withME. now ---based on the truth I just have to realize I'm on a differentimeline that even though so many others on here are close to my 6 yr mark & driving and using a bathroom independently.

I have to realize & accept I'm on a different timeline & it took me lots of time to just get to the starting point.

No intention of diminishing anyone's situationBut I agree with moonlight massive is massive doesn't mean give up or can't just massive.

Susan

Minor or massive. I've learned through my stroke support group that although one looks okay, there can really be major issues. No two strokes are alike and recovery is different. I recall when I was in the hospital there was another stroke survivor who had a stroke the same week I did and he seemed to be so much further along than I. After we were both released and in outpatient rehab, I ran into him several times a week. He expressed to me that he had tried to return to work too quickly and was having difficulty raising his arm and also taking direction. It was then that I realized there is so much about strokes that even doctors do not know. My doctor never told me I would not improve but that stroke recovery can be slow and the first six months can be challenging.

I look at stroke recovery as uncharted territory for each survivor. It is not easy and some days are more frustrating than others. Some days are easier to have a positive attitude than others. I had a friend tell me she was just amazed at how little emotion I have shown since having my stroke...little did she know I am unable to show emotion. I just don't share this with many people.

Minor or massive......so different for each and every stroke survivor.

Hey, today's the official first day of summer. Welcome, summer!

Minor or massive. I've learned through my stroke support group that although one looks okay, there can really be major issues. No two strokes are alike and recovery is different. I recall when I was in the hospital there was another stroke survivor who had a stroke the same week I did and he seemed to be so much further along than I. After we were both released and in outpatient rehab, I ran into him several times a week. He expressed to me that he had tried to return to work too quickly and was having difficulty raising his arm and also taking direction. It was then that I realized there is so much about strokes that even doctors do not know. My doctor never told me I would not improve but that stroke recovery can be slow and the first six months can be challenging.

I look at stroke recovery as uncharted territory for each survivor. It is not easy and some days are more frustrating than others. Some days are easier to have a positive attitude than others. I had a friend tell me she was just amazed at how little emotion I have shown since having my stroke...little did she know I am unable to show emotion. I just don't share this with many people.

Minor or massive......so different for each and every stroke survivor.

Hey, today's the official first day of summer. Welcome, summer!

I don't know if my stroke was "minor" or "massive", but I do know that the fascists in Atlanta took my license away. That took place almost 11 years ago.Without question, the impact of this act has been MASSIVE! It is the most important of any deficit caused by my stroke. I guess I have to call my stroke "massive"

hoststephen

:oohlala: HI ... you know, I was just thinking today .. [when I get all remaining 4 brain cells firing in unison, watch out!] ... that YES, MY STROKE DEFINED ME TOO! So .. thank you for "getting philosophical!" AND honest... I mean ... how vain of us to try to define something as profound as MASSIVE STROKE.

Thanks Again for this Philosophical Posting!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

my stroke difined me. Sorry for getting so philosophical ;)

Archived