botox treatments for paralized hand & fingers.

Anna Marie:

This my third time using Botox. I have paralyzed fingers and my wrist has got a lot of tone in it. I had a stroke (AVM) a little over 2 years ago. I train with Saeboflex but I can't get my fingers to move.I keep trying though. I find that my fingers and my wrist are more comfortable at night with my brace I wear on my wrist and finger. My hand doesn't curl up throughout the day when I'm on the Botox only when I tense up it tends to curl but it releases on it's own. When I go out in public I feel like I'm normal. As normal as I can get. lol.

Are you thinking about getting Botox or are you receiving Botox now? I know a lot of people are afraid of getting it but it helps me.

I wish Botox can be the magical cure for my fingers and I can move them but it doesn't work that way. Wishful thinking I guess. Truly my hand and wrist feels much better with the Botox.

Sincerely Trinaye

I wish Botox can be the magical cure for my fingers and I can move them but it doesn't work that way. Wishful thinking I guess. Truly my hand and wrist feels much better with the Botox.

Sincerely Trinaye

That pretty much sums it up. It isn't intended to be a magical cure ~ unfortunately there isn't one. It will lessen the spasticity and tone to enable you to work with your effected limb, but it will in no way automatically restore the connections or strengthen the muscles only hard work and dedication will do that.

after my botox shots to knock out my finger flexors, I was quite hopeful to get my finger extensors to work, but alas I hadn't moved control to another part of my brain. My fingers hung quite loosely but the weeks that they were loose was not enough time to retrain my brain. I will try again since one never knows when the magic will happen, I have to at least give it a chance to happen. When I botoxed my bicep, I was able to get my tricep to work. It is not a miracle but sometrhing tp try.

Dean

after my botox shots to knock out my finger flexors, I was quite hopeful to get my finger extensors to work, but alas I hadn't moved control to another part of my brain. My fingers hung quite loosely but the weeks that they were loose was not enough time to retrain my brain. I will try again since one never knows when the magic will happen, I have to at least give it a chance to happen. When I botoxed my bicep, I was able to get my tricep to work. It is not a miracle but sometrhing tp try.

Dean

My doctor used a lesser amount of Botox and I kept my finger flexors. My main problem is I can't get my fingers extensors moving. I keep working my extensors but I can't get them to work. I did get my bicep and triceps working. If only I could see a little progress with finger extensors it wouldn't be so frustrating. Trinaye

Hi

As posted on the other botox thread, botox on my finger flexors gave me the oppportunity to actually get the extensors moving - so for me, it has been a great thing. The botox has now pretty much worn off, so the fingers do curl a bit when I am tired & yawn. However I have been able to strengthen my extensors by using finger weights, so during the day now my fingers are staying pretty straight :)

So, for anyone struggling with flexed fingers & can get botox - I would say have a good think about it because it gave me my fingers.

HTH

I'm getting ready to try botox again,eventhough every time I used it in the past all it would do is relax my fingers a little eventhough it was not enough to allow me to extend my fingers on my own,this time my dr. is goind to try a different type botox,type b instead of type a ,i guess we'll see how it works.

God Bless,

Tom

Tom,

The botox alone is not going to enable you to move your fingers. In all probability the muscles have shortened down to a fraction of their original size. Before you get any movement in them, you are going to need to stretch those muscles back to their original size and it's not going to be pleasant. The first time I had it done my doctor prescribed OT to go with the botox for that purpose other the botox is fairly worthless no matter how much or what type he injects. As it begins to wears off and I'm due for my next series of shots I keep stretching my fingers to keep my muscles lengthened so I don't go back to point A. Does your doctor specialize in this? He should know this...it's pretty basic. Hopefully hes not injecting your fingers either.

Hello Stroke Survivors: I am 3.5 years post stroke. Happy to be alive and independent, even with right (dominate) side weakness :cheer: I worked hard training my right side, developing tremendous strength in arm and hand. I have a tight fist but my thumb and index finger are loose and usable. :happydance: Well, as the saying goes, "Be careful what you wish for.........". I've sought botox treatment for the past 2.5 years. Finally, approved through Medicare I received the first botox shots last August 2007. Absolutely no change. I again requested the treatment and received the shots June 19. 2008. These shots were more intense and more solution was used. Outcome: Lost all strength gained in hand and arm. I can't grasp a sheet of paper without dropping it. I cannot do many things, such as housekeeping, hair care, cooking, gardening,etc. :ranting: I learned to let the spastic arm and hand work for me. Of course now I wish I'd never requested the shots. Unfortunately, when the effects of botox wears off, I'll never desire to experience it again.

This is not to discourage you in trying botox treatments. My only desire is to share my experience.

I wish you all the best in your treatment with botox.

Hawaii Survivor

I get my second round next week. It immediately relaxed my fingers and stopped all pain. My bicep is much improved as well. My tricep and wrist extensors have started to fire. After the first round I mainly stretched my fingers by wearing a soft splint with finger seperators at all times and using my e-stim unit once a day. I had no movement at all before the Botox.

e komo mai, nadine! aloha! i remember you posted an intro in december and it's nice to see you posting again. really nice to have a kamaaina from the islands here!

sorry you did not get positive results from botox. botox works differently for each person and it's really a personal choice. my therapist advised me not to try botox since it has a cummulative effect because she found that prolonged treatment of botox causes the arm to hyperextend. i have chosen to do things the natural way and get my acupuncture treatment once a week. i've had acupuncture from a good acupuncturist who works out of my doctor's office here in honolulu for over a year. my insurance pays for most of the treatments. besides that, i also use the saebo stretch splint during the day. acupuncture has been around for thousands of years. perhaps it's something you may want to explore to see if it could help you with movement. good luck and malama pono! onipa'a!

• 3 weeks later...
Guest furiawill

Dear Anna,

Hi, I have tried Botox and Electrical stimulation also, but, what really worked the best for me was a visit to my Chiropractor, where he did what is called ear ricular therapy. It amounts to touching a probe on certain parts of your ear and sends a response all the way to the finger tips Botox is ok, but is also temporary. Have a blessed day!

Bill Furia sends..

Stroke survivor since 1997

[font="Courier New"][/font]

does anyone had any sucess with botox injection for paralized hand & fingers after a stroke?

Anna Marie Holmes

Hi. A friend of mine got botox injection in a foot. It seemed to help with rigidity (not sure if that is a word) It helped her as a muscle relaxant, I never tried it though.

Archived