Drugs that increase the risk of falls...

Hi Folks....

From "The American Journal of Geriatric Pharmacotherapy" round about the NY Times....

A list of drugs that increase the risk of fall....

Falling is a bane of the stroke survivor, and it seems that a number of drugs will increase the risk of taking a tumble...

It multiplies the effect if these drugs are taken concurrently....

The common denominator in these drugs, which include painkillers, antidepressants and antiseizure meds, is that they are drugs affecting the CNS....

http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2008/07/10/a...e-falling-risk/

Don't know how long this will stay current, I printed out copy for ref....

The complete list is a link at the bottom of the page of background info...a link to .pdf file....

You know?, another good thing to do is back-off some of them, at least I did for vicodin, and my pain haven't increased yet and my constipation is gone, my regularity is back.

I use OTC Aleve arthritis, works just as well for me, once in a while I'll use a vicodin and I've been on it for four years.

Thanks Gary

Seems there are few that didn't make the list which almost likens our map to a table of dominoes.

Thanks again for giving us a heads up that we really need to be aware and more cautious

Thanks Gary for posting this. We tend to forget that anything that can cause drowsiness can also impact our chances of falling. For any of us where balance is an issue especially, we need to be cautious.

Donna,

What's interesting, and most helpful about this list for example is my anti seizure medication is on it and it does not cause drowsiness nor is that listed as a side effect for it anywhere nor is the risk of falling.

Guest lwisman

This list is another example of damned if you don't and damned if you do. There are several drugs on this list which are often mentioned on this message board as prescribed for stroke survivors. Since balance is a problem for so many survivors, it is a problem for prescription drugs to actually help to cause falls. At the same time many of these drugs (like antidepressants) help many survivors. It is a Catch-22.

Hi Again Folks....

When I first saw the list....

I thought...*I'm* on here...!

And at times more than a couple of them together....

I had gotten used to not having a fall....one in 6 mo, and the weather had to do with it....

I can just see it...a bad day, and I'm half set up by my scripts....

I'm already a klutz.....<G>....I'm getting less so, but still...

So....I'm payin more attention...

Lin is right....Catch 22, because those drugs are prescribed for good reason(s)...

Hung the list up to remind meself, lest I get a little complacent again...

Hey Chris...

None of them is on the fall list...<G>....

The cinnamon is even good for ya, but I ferget why....

I would have yer doc give ya a sxript...

Just got around to reading this article on drugs that make you unsteady on your feet I use 4 of them out of my list of medications , though i do not have the problem of falling when standing it makes it hard when in a wheelchair trying to move from bed to chair or having a shower or most importantly when making a meal with hot food. The drugs affect your whole body often i would miss the cup when pouring boiling water into it thought after all it was a side issue of my medical complaint. But the thing is I need them i would be bed ridden if i decided not to take them. on a personal level you just have to weigh up the facts on the issue of whether you use them or not, myself if i can't find a substitute i will use them just for my own comfort, was like when i seen my GP today she said Allan take anything that will improve your life and when i look at it in my case she is right I never know when the end will come so enjoy what you have to the fullest

Allan

Archived