Stroke support group

Found an ad in paper for stroke support group...is local hospital...talk about fatigue post stroke..me thought would be interesting go...but me worried be all older people....me live in small rural community...maybe feel out place....not that me have problem with older people sometimes them just look at me crazy like why u here...so would u go?

Go anyway and if they are not like you want you are not obligated to join or go back and you could be an inspirational person for many of them.

I would give it a try. Older people are sometimes wiser. And with a stroke I am not sure if age makes a difference. You might find some younger ones too! It wasn't until I had my strokes that I was aware of the wide range of ages a stroke hits. All walks of life. The isolation a stroke can bring on is surprising, and the more I know and understand about strokes the more comfortable I am discussing mine. Good luck, I hope you find some positive vibes! Milaena

I had a similar experience before I found this site. I called the local stroke support group and had a man tell me I would be uncomfotable because I was too healthy. He made me feel that because I had more functioning abilities, that I didn't need them. Being the bull headed person I am, I will be attending the next meeting. The point is: Don't let other people tell you how to feel. If it turns out that it isn't the right fit; don't go back. Although, you may find that there are people waiting for you with open arms. Please go and give it a try. I'm scared of my meeting in Aug.; maybe we can compare notes after we've gone.

M

i say give it a try...it may be just the right place to be. i tried a support group at my local hospital about a year after my stroke. it was a very mixed group age wise and disability wise. later, when i found this site i knew this was the right place for me. give it a go and let us know how you do. kathy

marti,

it doesn't hurt to try new experiences. you might benefit from going since you'll be amongst people who are dealing with stroke just like you. i joined a stroke support group at the rehab hospital here in hawaii and found that interacting with others is good therapy in every aspect. while online support groups like this one can be helpful, t's good to get out in public and maintain interpersonal contact.

Marti, I just went to my first support meeting last week after 5 years. I , too, at age 63, was worried about being with all old people(imagine that). There was a young man there with his parents who could not speak at all. As I was leaving he grabbed my hand and we high fived. Now I can't wait to tell him about this site. At last he can "talk" to everyone. So give it a try--you might be just what someone else is looking for. :Good-Luck: Nancy

I say go give it a try...with age comes wisdom and understanding...they may be waiting for someone just like you! :)

pJoy

I attend my local stroke club and I am 53 this year.......Yes, I am the youngest, but you have caregivers there also.

My club has all the therepists attending the meetings also so there are plenty to hang with in your age category.

Me, I like the older people somewhat.....You look at them and their strokes and it gives you the courage to continue on.

They also give neat Christmas Gifts.....Nah, nah, nah......I play Santa at the hospital and homes in the area.....

Go...Once is not gonna be hard at all...See what your missing !!!

Hi Marti,

I was 36 when I had mine. It actually felt WONDERFUL to go to a place where people understood and could relate. I started out concerned about age difference, but that didn't last long. Another bonus for me was just getting out of the house for a while. (I don't drive anymore.)

Susan :type:

Marti, since I am already as old as dirt, I have no difficulty in urging you to go to this meeting. THe worst they can do is look at you as if you had two heads, both ugly As a stroke survivor you can handle that no sweat. You might find that you enjoy it, or that someone there needs to hear what you have to say.

hoststephen (as old as dirt!)

• 3 weeks later...

Don't feel that way scaredabdconfused. Astroke support group is good therapy. I help run one for St. Patrick's Hospital here. We have all ages coming. Young and old, and we give one another ideas on how to improve and get better.

By all means join a support group. It will be good for you. It took me a while to get started after I was released from the hospital but that was almost 2 years ago now and believe me this group has helped me.

• 4 weeks later...

Marti: I say go for it. You might just hear what you needed to hear and learn from the whole experience. The one thing you have in common.... you are all stroke survivors. That makes you a family in itself. Age shouldn't matter. It's a give and take situation. Sharing your experience, strength and hope. I hope you will post again and let us know the outcome.

Take care, God Bless.

Hugs. Jan

BELIEVE IN MIRACLES AND SOAR

Archived