advice needed

greg

Hi all

job prospect has been bleak.. lots of interviewing only resulting in rejection.. cant take that any more, too much running around for nothing and too depressing.

Got offered a job to start with deliveries though, only thing is I'd need to use my own car. I'm on my own and do need money for bills and things.

Its a job i can do, i've done it before and like it very much

Sounds like what i need to get out of this funk

any thoughts?

Greg,

As long as you feel like you can handle. Don't have any driving restrictions that would compromise your safety and your doctor approves I don't see why you shouldn't go for it.

Good luck. Let us know how you do!

Maria :friends:

You might try going through the Bureau of Vocational Rehabilitation. They are a wonderful government agency whose job is to get you working and provide you with equipment to make your job easier for you. When I contacted them my counselor told me they were one of the best kept secrets. They are going to purchase a walkaide for me. Please find your local agency and GOOD LUCK!

hi greg,

i say go for it if you can drive safely and feel you have the strength. have you considered ssdi to help with bills? keep us up to date. good luck! kathy

I echo what Dalene said. If you haven't contacted your state vocational rehabilitation agency yet, please do so. I, too, am working through them and there are funds available and resources for training. It can make a huge difference in your earnings capacity and type of work you are retrained to do.

Please take care and keep us posted. We understand your "funk" and know that getting out and about can make a difference. With the high cost of fuel, are you reimbursed for gasoline in making deliveries using your own vehicle?

Stessie

hi greg, i agree with the others. get help with voc rehab. maybe something better is out there for you to do. just be safe and enjoy whatever you do. the gas expense would be a concern right now, i would think. let us know how things go for you. good luck

hi,

i am getting ssdi but it just doesnt pay for everything.. broke in 2-3 weeks.. been to voc rehab but they couldnt find me work, so I must do it on my own

for deliveries, its flat rate pay, but its plenty to cover my gas.. with car expenses / deductions, I wont be in danger of affecting ssdi

small car, 35 MPG, i'll be ok

thanks

Apply at Walmart, I did and was accepted and hired in two weeks as a People Greeter in the Garden Center using my scooter 40 hours a week. Been there 2 years now, not a lot of pay depending what state you are in but it pays the bills every two weeks.

I live 2 miles from my job and use a Walmart shopping card to save 3 cent a gallon on their gas.

Take a look at my profile picture, on the red scooter, it was taken at work.

You may want to check with your State, or auto insurance company... some auto insurance won't pay if you are using your car for business/deliveries unless you pay a special premium. Does the copny supply insurance or money for insurance.

I use a "rewards card "or go to CostCo for gas.. usually 10 cents lower than the gas stations.

Do you have "Work Source"? it is through Employment Securities Did you talk to Vocaional Rehab, maybe they would train you for a different occupation.

Good luck with the deliveries...

well voc rehab only did assessment and testing, but didn't offer employment.. they had said that upfront.

I can work , just cant do complicated things like i used to.. or heavy lifting or on my feet all day or 2 handed dexterity, etc.. etc..

I have the "ticket to work", employment agency accepted it, but they have nothing available.. Quite honestly, I'm sick of searching.. i like driving, i can do it, they have light deliveries and prescription drop offs.. the only one who would hire me and they pay weekly

whoops - forgot no heavy talking either.. as my speech is affected

Obviously very limited. This job is perfect for me, i'll only do it for 6 months so the car doesnt get too worn down.

If nothing else comes up, i'll rent a cargo van to use. Ran the numbers, it does work out for a reasonable salary

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Greg ~

My adopted son, who just turned 18 a few days ago is working w/ vocational rehab @

his high school. He'll be a senior next yr. He's in special ed. He has a disability in slow

reading & a low IQ. The man who came to meet him @ school said there's alot of hidden $$

they have to work w/. He said to get him on SSDI & he'll work w/ him through his senior

year to find work as he could'nt possibly live on SSDI independentaly. The man from Voc.

Rehab said they would pay an employer for the first yr. while training & buy clothes or

whatever needed to start a job. Even a computer if needed. My husband & I were amazed

& thankful @ this benefit. They would even pay for a vocational school.

I'm trying to get on SSDI, but it's like pullinng teeth as husband makes to much. Just

would be a blessing for the Medical Insurance. It always does one way or another. Take care

my friend, hope all works out for you.

Nancy

Hi Greg: First of all, good for you putting yourself out there to get back in the working class. And it's great that you can drive and have your own car. It has been a blessing in my own recovery when I could drive and get some independence back. The way I look at it is that this opportunity has been put in front of you, you have done the figures and you say it'll work gas-wise, etc., so it sounds to me like you are supposed to get this job. God works in mysterious ways and this is what has come up in spite of you trying different avenues. So go for it and let us all know how it works out. Remember, you have a whole bunch of people pulling for you. you are not alone!

:chat: Leah

:congrats:

GREG: WTG...a job, check and meeting new people should up your spirits.

Good Job!! Leah

YAY!

A job is nice to have something to do, too, rather than sit around at home all day and get bored! LOL

Archived