Healthcare Concerns

No wonder medicare is so screwed up.....I have no idea what Medicare has said with political doubletalk with my recently sent Medicare Cards. I am 53 and am on SSDI for my strokes so thats a hint in this weird predictament.

I hope those who understand this come to my "poor widdle bwain"......

I received their pamphlet which asks whether or not to accept part B....Of course the premiums per month are $96.40.

It reads " If i decline Part B, my monthly premiums will be higher if I decide later if I want it.It also states that Medicare Part B will go up 10% for each 12-month period I was eligible but did not take it except in special cases....So here are the special cases...

I am not over 65 so lets skip that....

you are under the age of 65 and disabled and you or any member of my family is working and you are covered by an employer health plan based on that current employment......

Ok people, I am 53, can not work , am not employed...But I am on my employers Health Plan until I reach the age of 65.

So, knowing the government and their red tape......This is confusing to me....

I am not working and my dogs don't work but are poop machines.....But I am covered by my city and its darn good...

So if I don't take it and when I am 65 I am going to pay a higher premium plus 10 percent surcharges per year?

Thats 12 years at 10 percent !!!!! Each year too.......

I am going to ask my City resource officer, but hey...this is my life and who says she won't be gone when I have to take part B.

Now what gets me, doesn't the government save money by me not wanting Part B.....What is this?

Help !!!!! And I think they outsource Medicare toll free numbers...I waited 2o minutes to talk to someone and I have no idea what she was saying to me....

Chris,

If you can get the medicare thing figured out, you'll be a genius; I mean it as they seem to change the "rules" as much as we change our underwear. For me, I chose Part B. I am also covered by medicaid. My medicare (as of Jan '08 it's through a medicare suplemental plan as straight medicare was covering less - mine is Wellcare) and my medicaid is secondary. Also, with having medicaid I have no co-pays for doctor's appointments as they are covered by medicaid. My prescription coverage is also through Wellcare and has been since I started with medicare last year - I pay $1.05 for each script now and medicaid doesn't cover any part of my scripts. I do have a monthly premium for my Wellcare coverage which is based on the state and county I'm residing in (here in PA - Allegheny County it's $10.00).

At the time, when I first received my medicare options, I was so confused - seems like so long ago LOL but it was a little over a year ago.

Good luck - maybe a bottle of vodka will help.

chris, i know how confusing medicare is, i used to deal with them daily when i was working. part B covers doctors, therapy and other things, my suggestion would be to stay with your current health coverage, when u turn 65, it will have probably gone through many changes by then. if you are happy with the coverage of your current plan, stick with it. there are also so many medicare advantages plans out there now, which makes it all so much more confusing. i am on part a and b and d now. i needed part b and yes the premiums go up but to me its worth it i also carry a supplement with aarp to pay what medicare doesn't. try to speak to your ins. plan administrator to get their suggestions to help you. remember medicare part a will coordinate benefits with your group plan you are on now, when paying claims. just some FYI for you. if i can help you, please just let me know.

chris,

as kimmie said, speak to your health insurance admin. with your employer for help. i dealt with medicare issues as well, but not in the same way as kimmie. i can say that medicare is just as complicated as social security. both agencies are pros in providing doubletalk and lip service. you can find some good info about the different plans using this link --- http://www.medicare.gov/Choices/Overview.asp you can get the 'medicare and you' 2008 handbook which has good info.

Chris,

When you get 65 you have to accept part B like they said before me it pays for therapy and the like. Medicare becomes your primary insurance, in my case Tricare for Life is my secondary and I got the VA too and my meds thru them are free, I got 50% VA disability.

The draw back now is many doctors are dropping Medicare patients for not allowing them to charge more. Some won't take any new Medicare patients but Congress has the last say so to my knowledge.

Anyway go to their web site that Louise gave for more precise information, that's your best bet, you can't go wrong and won't have any worries or pull your hair out (oops) you still got a little left until you get 65 ( just kidding my friend). :tired: :party:

Thank You all for your answers and concerns....I needed to get a feeling of this from you guys and you answered it.....

Yeah, my work coverage is great !!!!! 10 dollar doc visits and 4 dollar generics.......

It is just confusing that it is almost like join us now or else.....Kinda like looking forward to Krispee Kreme donuts and end up with none....

in case you haven't heard, on tuesday, july 15th, my boss and his colleagues in the house of representatives voted 383-41 to override president bush

Hi Chris,

Do check with your employer about Medicare part B because....Bill also has good insurance from the Board of Pensions and he is 59 years old. However, when you do tak Medicare part B your other coverage becomes second and Medicare becomes first in line. Bill doesn't pay anything for doctor's visits anymore, for instance. If Bill's former employer also reimburses him the cost of the Medicare part B premium so it doesn't really cost him anything.

I don't know whether this has helped, but it is the way we have handled it.

ann, i think you have it backwards, medicare is always the secondary payee when other major coverage is involved. medicare is always primary payor if no other insurance is involved. except for medigap plans i don't think its changed in the 6years i have not been billing it daily or consulting with patients on medicare. if i am in error i apologize. medicare always knows if there is other insurance involved. they have this info in their common working file on each person with medicare. in other words, if you have a major group insurance plan, it pays 1st then medicare will pay its part as a secondary plan, for people on medicaid (a medigap plan) medicare pays 1st, then the medigap or secondary pays. what medicare didn't. i have aarp as my medigap plan. as medicare is my primary plan. sorry if this is confusing, medicare is confusing.

Well, this seems to be a hot topic. For all those who are under 65 and have insurance through an agreement with your work as a retiree, please check with your benefits administrator or human resources !!!! It is that important...

I read the medicare booklet correct and I am so miffed........If I am under the "retirement" age . disabled and working where I get insurance...I do not need B and am exempted...

But since I am disabled, do not work for the City anymore, but still get city insurance...I must take B......

Medicare must be in league with some lobbyists with insurance companies.....This is so stupid to make the government

pay for insurance that I have.....If I do not accept "B", I have to take on a 10 percent penalty every year I do not take B...So talk about coersion....

Now the tricky part, if you get part B, you need to get D.....Although my insurance carrier is good, there is also a penalty for not getting part D if you have B...

I was hoping my Strokey brain was reading the paperwork incorreclty...I was not....

So, to answer some questions......Medicare is my primary and my City insurance is my secondary

I am sure it shall change next month.....

Archived