I wish my disablity wasn't so obvious

Here's another slant on being a survivor. When I'm in a social setting I get alot of questions about the cane like " did you just have your knee done" or "got a sprained ankle"? When I tell them I had a stroke they tend to clam up like it's a taboo subject, or perhaps because they're embarrased. You ever run into this?

stu, my deficits are to obvious. if anyone asks me, i tell them i had a stroke. then the response i get is "you are to young to have had a stroke". then i have to educate them about strokes. with my cane, the way i walk, my arm hanging limp, i don't get to many questions though.

Stu, I have the opposite problem--no visible signs of my stroke in 2003. That's great but I can't walk far without pain and my right arm is weak and causes me quit a bit of pain. I feel like people must wonder what I have to complain about. I usually hear "so you're all okay now." I had a bleed and am truly blessed but no one besides you guys can comprehend what its been like inside my head and body the past 5 years. Nancy

Stu I feel the same way. Or I am paranoid that they are obvious. When I tell people I had a stroke they kind of put me under the mircoscope looking for anything obvious. Sometimes if they say something a little stupid I tell tell it's a good thing they did'nt have a stroke because they don't have the brain cells to loose. :) I think I compound my deficiets more as I am very aware of everything I do or say. I am very fortunate I have minimal physical issues. Right arm and hand weak and clumbsy hand syndrome. I actually think of what I am going to be saying as I do not want to make mistakes. If I am tired I react a little slower. Nothing new to anyone here.

Terry

Stu

II'm there with you..when I am using my cane, folks ask me the same question all the time. They mostly inquire about knee surgery.

Stessie

Guest JohnB

I know what you mean Istroked 2 years ago it took out my memory math an spelling to name a fu I LOOK fine on the out side but a train wreck in my head you just keep one foot in front of the other an keep going

• 2 weeks later...

Mate, i use my cane (walking stick) as a awareness so that everyone can see that i have a problem walking rather than before in just barging straight thru me big help and no questions as yet. Best of luck anyhow.

Stu,

I think what is happening here, is that information about stroke is not being put out like cancer, heart disease or Alzheimer's. Somehow, it just doesn't connect with the general public. We do have National Stroke Month here in the States, but not much else is being done. We have to put our collective brain cells together and come up with a solution.

I try to educate everyone, but I am only one person in a small community. However, I find that almost everyone knows someone who has had a stroke. Isn't that interesting?

Vi

Didn't we just do a long thread on "I wish my disability was more obvious"? Seems the grass is always greener even exists when it comes to this. We just never really learn to be grateful for what we have, do we?

I really like "Terry's statement " ... it's a good thing they did'nt have a stroke because they don't have the brain cells to loose."

Although most of my disabilities are subtle, people tend to notice my paresis quite easily thank you very much. I get two types of reactions to my explanation that I'd had a stroke. The first is an unobtrusive offer to assist with ... whatever, and the ever popular "you don't look like it." I have basically taken the tact of not letting people get to saying the last by going into a 30 second explanation of AVM, stroke, and "Lord how I'm glad to be alive!" I have found this thwarts some of the typical responses we get while I've educated somebody without making anybody uncomfortable.

• 2 weeks later...

AFTER MY STOKE 7/17/07 MY SPEACH WAS SLURED WHEN THEY SPOKE TO ME THEY THOUGHT I HAD BEEN DRINKING AND MY GAIT IS A LITTLE OFF.

I GOT TIRED OF THE STARES AND BS WHEN PEOPLE WOULD ASK ME WHAT WAS WRONG SO I JUST LET THEM THINK IM DRUNK NOW

IM BAD LOL

SHERRY

I get it all the time. some people dont notice my hand but ever since i had my stroke at 12, people assume i got in a car accident or something from my limp. then as soon as i say stroke they dont believe me so i have to explain the brain surgeries and surgeon screw ups which caused the stroke then sometimes they feel sorry for even asking in the first place

I usually get the "I'm sorry" reply. Then I grin and say "Why? You didn't cause it" ...then of course some people get offended, rather than laughing with my teasing. Oh well.

MEMAW I HERE YOU I ALSO HAD A BRAIN BLEED NOV 2001, I HAVE MY FORM BACK SOME WHAT BUT THE PEN THE BURNING THE MUSULE PAIN WELL YOU NO WHAT I MEAN,CAN DRIVE YOU NUT SOMEDAYS,BUT I KNOW I HAVE TO PUT ONE FEET FOWARD AND THAN THE OTHER, AND KEEP GOING,BECAUSE I AM BLESS TO BE HERE.

• ksmith pinned this topic