learning to stand after sitting

I am having trouble getting up from the toilet or chair without using my walker or something else for some support. My husband and I are going to take a trip and I will need to be able to get up without any other help while we are gone. Have you found any exercises that I can do that might help me relearn how to do this? We aren't going to leave until August 6 so I have a couple weeks to practice doing this. We are heading up north and will be gone for several days. Other than my awkward balance and lack of strength in that area I am doing very well. Hopefully one of you will have just what I need to do to accomplish this. Thanks.

hi northenstar:

I don't have any exercise for you but my sister-in-law who is therapist had shown me trick of getting up from chair or toilet and it has worked for me from day 1. always keep your feet close together leaving 1 feet space between them, and when you want to get up from chair or toilet keep your hands forward, push your body forward 3 times & onthe 4th try get up. try doing this from chair few times, and if you are doing it from chair push from handle of the chair to push it up. more you practice it becomes second nature. Now I don't think or do any of those things and it has become that smooth for me, that I don't need any help anywhere including plane's tiny bathrooms.

Asha

Hi, I'm not sure if this will be helpful or not, however, it was my system when I was learning the very same thing. I used the "one, two, three," method, it drove everyone bonkers and I heard more times than I wanted to, can't you count any higher than that.... I knew they were only kidding, however, I had to concentrate. It did help. Here is what I did:

I was in rehab and I was sitting in my wheelchair and they were trying to get me to transfer from the chair to the bars or the walker. I had to count 1-2-3 and as I was doing that, get myself situated and up, it took practice, confidence and lots of prayers and trust and faith in God and myself, but it did work. Also, they had me do exercises with my legs, calfs, etc. to gain strength in them. Once I got home, we had special things put on the toilets that helped me pull myself up. As far as anything to sit in at home, I sit in my wheelchair or the lift chair I had to buy. My lift chair is the best invention. It goes to a straight up position, etc. I hope this helps even if just a little. I am a Brain Stem Stroke Survivor, 2003, two TIA's 2006-07

Just takes time, patience, acceptance, and staying positive

we are all the little engine that thought we could

"I think I can, I think I can," WOW I DID IT.....

Keep the hope alive

Believe in Miracles and SOAR

Jan

I agree with all the answers you've gotten. What's worked for me at first was to lean out from the chair alittle and rock two or three times then stand using your good hand to give a push up from the chair seat. I've found I use just a quick lean forward now and push from the seat to stand, it's become so automatic that I don't even realize I do it any more :)

hi northern stars, i too need help in the bathroom. i have a elevated seat that i use and i push off on my counter which is right next to the toliet. if i am using another bathroom. what i have done is used the back of the toilet to push up on or have grabbed the lid since its up to hang on to for that extra umph that i need. so far it has worked and no accidents so far. if you are out be sure to try and use the handicapped stalls in the bathroom for they usually have hand rails to help you on either side. when i get out of my chair at home, i push off on the arm. doing exercises for your thighs/hamstrings would be beneficial i think. i used to lift my legs several times and hold it to the count of 10 several times a day, not letting your leg fall i hope i have helped you in some way. l

It took me over a year to master this and with much practice. I practiced every day from about six months post stroke getting up and down from the toilet seat at least 30 times. One day several weeks ago I realized I was doing it automatically. This, too, was a big goal for me. I understand why you want to achieve it. It is something stroke survivors can share with one another. I recall telling one of my daughters how excited I was about this achievement and she smiled as if to say, "Mom, you're kidding...right?" It was and continues to be a major achievement for me.

Keep on trying...it will/can happen.

Thanks for all the inspiration! I know it will take time and I will succeed. Today has been very difficult with very little success, but last night I was able to get to my portable potty without having to resort to grabbing the walker but only once. But even only once was still more often than the past year! I will succeed eventually and soon it will be automatic!

What really helped me to stand up from nearly any sitting position without using my hands was 100's & 100's of "sit to stand" exercises.

This involves sitting on a relatively high seat, quite forward on seat, hands across body (if possible), leaning forward, taking weight on both legs & then straightening up yo stand tall.

Once this is achieved, you the do the reverse, slowly lowering yourself, stick your bottom out over seat & continue to lower yourself until you gently reach the seat (no flopping down allowed). Try to do 5 sets of 10.

When this is mastered try a seat that is lower down, continue lowering seat height until you have mastered the lowest level that you pratically need.

On lower seats you can always position you good hand behind you to provide a bit of upward motion assist.

HTH Good luck with it

I like these suggestions. Now for my body to cooperate! I am going to be practicing like a mad woman!

I am also just going to be using the cane from August first as I am getting frustrated using even the walker with wheels. I plan on walking on my own as soon as possible and am studying every thing I can find that might help me get where I am going. This walker has been a blessing in getting me to walk more normally in my strides but is still not getting me where I want to be. Now, hopefully I will be able to transfer that skill to walking with the cane.

I like these suggestions. Now for my body to cooperate! I am going to be practicing like a mad woman!

I am also just going to be using the cane from August first as I am getting frustrated using even the walker with wheels. I plan on walking on my own as soon as possible and am studying every thing I can find that might help me get where I am going. This walker has been a blessing in getting me to walk more normally in my strides but is still not getting me where I want to be. Now, hopefully I will be able to transfer that skill to walking with the cane.

Don't you give up, I put my quad cane away a month after I got out of the rehab hospital and went to a single stick, and have never looked back.

I think the rehab hospital was glad to be rid of me because I used to go down in my wheelchair and force myself to walk in the parallel bars for an hour. You see I had no rehab in the afternoon, and I made sure that I went at the busyest time so they were so busy that they didn't notice me :out_of_here:

Since you're somewhat limited timewise this might be an option

http://totalemedical.com/Seat_Lifts.php?gc...CFQVvFQodUCmGRw

won't work on the potty, but can't hurt to check out for other times and may be covered by insurance.

My method for getting up from toilet or chair is put weight on my left foot (weak side) push down on the chair or toilet seat with my right hand until I'm standing then get my cane or walk holding the counter or door handles. I do the same thing for getting out of my car seat but I have to help my weak leg in and out then push down on the seat to raise my butt off the seat to get out and stand up.

Good luck in whatever way works best for you! Practice, practice, practice!

I too still have troubles getting up. I do the one two three method and when possible use things like the cabinet or wash basin or handicapped bars to help pull me up. Most public bathrooms have a handicapped stall with the handicapped bars. My problem is they are all built for right handed use and my stroke effected my right side, so I have to use my left hand.

Guest lwisman

Just to let you know, if you are in the market for a new toilet, the word is comfort toilet. They are higher. Rubbermaid makes a great inexpensive piece you can put on top of a lower toilet to raise you up. Invaluable. At first I had bars which attached to the toilet as well as the raised toilet seat. Over time I was able to do away with the bars.

Incidentally, when we were remodeling our bathrooms last year my sister decided she wanted a comfort toilet in hers even though she is not disabled. Now she says she is spoiled and hates using low seats when she is out!

Also, when we purchased a new sofa we were able to get one which is higher than most. At first there was no way I could get in and out of the old one. Over time it was possible, but difficult. The higher seat really helps. Also, having arms on chars helps.

Archived