spiking blood pressure

Guest DianneD

Guest DianneD

Normally, my b/p pressure is wonderful......126/65........but when I get stressed about something, it can spike to 180/100, which it is right now. Stress was the causative factor in my stroke of April 2008, so it concerns me more than just a little that it can jump so high so quickly. Other than to relax (and I have tried to do that all day today, with the b/p remaining high regardless), is there anything that any of you have tried that helps? I also have fibromyalgia, and with the monsoon storms here in Arizona, the barometric fluctuations play havoc with the pain levels, which no doubt aggravate the b/p as well. I am open to any ideas, however unusual......the only thing I can't do is stand on my head!! :head_hurts: and with the high b/p comes the killer headache that goes with it......do you take pain relievers? And please don't ask me to ask my doctor......he doesn't care a lick. When I went for my follow up appointment after my hospitalization for the stroke, he asked me what I wanted from him......with a real air of indifference. I haven't been back since. I know you all have been down this road, and I would like to have the benefit of your collective wisdom. Thanks.

Dianne

Firstly stop stressing out if you can.Secondly go and seeanother doctor or a cardiologist and maybe they can prescribe some tablets to keep your b.p. down>I take Pernindo & Minax to keep mine down, As i had the same trouble HIGH BLOOD PRESSURE, it happens to most of us if we get cranky it makes our blood boil. Anyway good luck .

Good Morning Dianne:

I am so sorry you have having trouble with your bp. I don't have that problem, but have used accupuncture since my stroke. It seems to center me and calm me. Don't know if it would help for you or you or not.

Hopefully others on the board will have some ideas for you.

Sarah

Dear Dianne,

Find yourself a physician you like. You are a stroke survivor and need to have consistent and continual follow up. The reason you are having headaches is because your bp is elevated. You probably need your bp meds "tweaked". I care for my husband and have learned NOT to ignore a spiked bp or headache. Both those things related directly to his strokes.

Talk with folks or family about how they like their doctor...go online to find a physician in your area, call the neurologist who followed you in the hospital - whatever, but do make an appointment to be seen for your blood pressure. Whatever the reason, it needs to be addressed.

Good luck,

Wow! I think the up and down BP is not good for you! Mine was the same prestroke and I did not take the meds. Post two strokes of April 2007 I was at BP 190+/something really high. Stress was a major factor for me. Now I take Labetelol (not that this is for you). I had my three month check with doc yesterday and BP is at 101/62, lower than in my 20's. You should get to another doc because the maintenace of a regular BP (not shooting around) is really important. Once I had fprgotten to take the meds for a day and the doc said skipping even a day is dangerous.

We are fortnate that we have these meds avaliable: both of my parents and grandparents did not, and died from strokes very early.

Get youself another doc! It doesn't sound like he took the Hypocratic Oath seriously. Take care, Milaena

Dear Dianne,

Find yourself a physician you like. You are a stroke survivor and need to have consistent and continual follow up. The reason you are having headaches is because your bp is elevated. You probably need your bp meds "tweaked". I care for my husband and have learned NOT to ignore a spiked bp or headache. Both those things related directly to his strokes.

Talk with folks or family about how they like their doctor...go online to find a physician in your area, call the neurologist who followed you in the hospital - whatever, but do make an appointment to be seen for your blood pressure. Whatever the reason, it needs to be addressed.

Good luck,

I agree with Ann, get to another doctor because the one you have doesn't seem to be controlling your BP. I'm betting you just need your meds tweaked. Keep us updated.

Dianne,

By all means - get yourself another doctor. I have high blood pressure as well but it has been controlled since the stroke by meds (for me lisinopril). I also watch my salt intake and have reduced the amount of caffeine I consume (I don't like unleaded coffee that much but have grown to accept it as I love my morning coffee). Occasionally, as a treat, I'll make "real" coffee....ahhhhhhhhhhh

Trying to eliminate stress can be difficult. You've been through alot with your folks; now that they are relocated, hopefully your stress level will decrease.

The more you're worried about your BP, the more stress, the higher the BP and increasing headaches. Please get yourself another doctor.

Dianne,

By all means - get yourself another doctor. I have high blood pressure as well but it has been controlled since the stroke by meds (for me lisinopril). I also watch my salt intake and have reduced the amount of caffeine I consume (I don't like unleaded coffee that much but have grown to accept it as I love my morning coffee). Occasionally, as a treat, I'll make "real" coffee....ahhhhhhhhhhh

Trying to eliminate stress can be difficult. You've been through alot with your folks; now that they are relocated, hopefully your stress level will decrease.

The more you're worried about your BP, the more stress, the higher the BP and increasing headaches. Please get yourself another doctor.

Try Starbucks French Roast "Extra Bold" morning jet fuel ;)

Either find another doctor or go back to the one you saw and tell him to help you get your blood pressure under control. There are all sorts of medications available. I know you don't want tp do that, but finding a new doctor might be just as stressful. Do you have family there who can help you find someone?

My stroke was caused by HBP and I have kept it under control since my stroke with a basket full of medications. (I keep all my meds in a little basket.) LOL

Vi

Hi Dianne....

I'm gonna echo the other folks here.....I'd either lay the line down with this doc, or try to find another that'll work with ya...

I had borderline high BP, spiking occasionally BS (before stroke).....I think that's what got me that day.....

I have two kindsa meds I take for it now, and they do wonders for it.....

They can also give ya stuff for anxiety....if that's causing yer stress....

But seriously....having a doc ya like and who works with you is paramount....In a lotta ways, that doc is the gatekeeper to what medicine can do for you.....

How to find one....? Network with other folks, talk to everybody you know...

Sometimes word of mouth is the best map......

Hope ya get stuff fixed up....

Hi Dianne. I've tried a number of different things, the results of which which have helped keep the bp down (my numbers were obscene at the time of my stroke, they are now much better). Here they are:

1. Taking lisinopril and labetotol daily (prescriptions from Dr.).

2. Diet that heavily restricts sodium (gotta check the labals - sodium seemd to be in almost everything!).

3. Acupuncture (never tried it before stroke - only post-stroke - I'm seeing really good benefits).

4. Daily Meditation.

5. Exercise, including walking 45 minutes daily (I worked up to this).

I didn't do any of these pre-stroke - wish I had. All of tem are pretty enjoyable (even cutting back on the sodium isn't too bad). For me, I think they are a good mix of both strictly medicinal and stress-reducing components. I think in my situation, both areas are vital for me to manage bp.

Hope this helps a little. Good Luck.

Ed

Hi Diane,

I agree that you should find another doctor. I am sending you two articles I wrote on this subject.

I hope it assists you. Just a note: blood pressure rises when the body is fighting a disease or illness.

My prayers are with you.

Shayle

The articles:

An important part of healthy eating is choosing food low in salt. Using less sodium is key to keeping blood pressure at a healthy level. As you read food label, you may be surprised that many food contain sodium, including baking soda, soy sauce, MSG, seasoned salts and some antacids. A person should consume no more than 6 grams of salt a day from all sources, including that used in cooking and canned produce. Excessive salt in the blood stream can cause the retention of water, which raises blood pressure. A diuretic is often prescribed to correct this condition. However, reduction of salt in take may achieve the same purpose. There are other drugs, which control blood pressure. Beta-blockers reduce nerve impulses to the heart and blood vessels. This makes the heart beat less often and with less force. , and the heart works less hard. Angiotensin converting enzyme inhibitors prevent the formation of a hormone called Angiotensin II, which normally causes blood vessels to narrow. The blood vessels relax, and the pressure goes down. Angiotensin antagonists shield blood vessels from Angiotensin II. As a result, the blood vessels open wider, and the pressure goes down. Calcium channel blockers keep calcium from entering the muscle cells of the heart and blood vessels. Blood vessels relax, and the pressure goes down. Alpha-blockers reduce nerve impulses to blood vessels, allowing blood to pass more easily. Alpha-beta

Guest DianneD

thanks to all of you for your thoughtful replies. I already eat well.......have not been a salt person my whole life, so that's not an issue, and I read labels so I know what the sodium content of different foods is. And getting a new doctor is not possible right now, because I am on the state's health insurance plan and doctors don't like to take the indigent insurance plan because they are so lousy in paying (often taking 3-4 MONTHS to pay a bill). So I need to address the problem with the doctor I have. I have what is called labile hypertension......goes up and down, without following a pattern of either eating or lifestyle activity. The only consistent cause we can track it to is MAJOR STRESS. That makes it very difficult to treat (this present doc has tried for YEARS to find a bp med that won't cause nasty side effects for me). I think he's just given up. But I'll go see him and take him the record of my readings and see if he can recommend a new course of action for me.

I appreciate the time you all took to answer me. I have never tried acupuncture for hypertension, though I got some relief from the fibromyalgia years ago when I saw an acupuncturist for that. Might be worth a second look......thanks!

Dianne

dianne, you have received alot of good and true information. i too have hbp. but have been able to keep it under control. after my stroke my meds were changed and it has done well. getting another dr is very important. i assume you have a good neurologist or was that the jerk that you were referring too. i have a great one at barrow. had i seen him the night of my stroke, i wouldn't have the deficits i now have. keeping hbp under control is diet, exercise, meds and control of your stress levels, not smoking and regular dr visits. please get yours under control very soon. you dont want another stroke,god forbid. please Pm me if you'd like more info on barrow drs. the stress you have been under with your parents i'm sure has had you way over stressed.

Archived