Did you know you were having a stroke?

Dboudrea24

Stroke Survivors,

I'm a research resident at Stanford and I'm trying to understand how people who suffer a stroke recognize their symptoms and then decide to take action. My ultimate hope is that i can help the 70% of stroke victims who delay seeking urgent medical attention. I appreciate any comments you have and look forward to reading your insights.

Here are some questions I think can help me understand the thought process that occurs from symptom onset to taking action. Please feel free to answer any one or all of these questions below.

1. How did you recognize that you might be having a stroke or that something wasn't normal?

2. Did you make excuses for the symptom? For example, it must be my arthritis acting up or I must have slept on my arm funny.

3. Did you think it would go away?

4. In retrospect, if you knew more about stroke symptoms, would you have been able to recognize your first symptom?

5. Were you afraid to activate 911? If so, why?

6. If there was a way to measure your symptom, would it help you feel more confident in calling 911?

7. Is there anything you wish would have been available to help you when you were first having the stroke?

This information will be kept for my own personal information and your identity will not be revealed in any way. If you would like to go in more depth through a telephone interview, please provide a number I can reach you at and what time of day works best for you. Please include your time zone. Thank you for your time.

Sincerely,

David

Hello David, In my case I had a berry aneurysm and I was very lucky in that I got warmings. For about 2 weeks a few times, my left side became numb, starting in my head and slowly numbing everything slowly on the way down to my toes. This happened a few times, whether I was sitting quietly or active it didn't matter. One morning, this happened when I was waking up. I stayed in bed a few minutes until the numbness went away as it had done the other times this happened. After, I got up, got the kids ready for the sitter and went to shower. While in the shower, it happened again but this time I got sscared, it had never happened twice in a row in so little time before. I decided to drop by the emergency after I dropped off the kids. There they examined me and could not determine what was wrong so they admitted me for more tests. Aweek and a half later they had found the aneurysm and scheduled emergency surgery to repair the aneurism. During the procedure which turned out a little more complicated than expected, I had a stroke. They didn't tell me about the stroke until about a week later when I was finally awake.It turned out they had to cuff the artery instead of what they expected which was to clip the aneurysm. The procedure took 8 hours to complete.

Marie-Claire(mcd)

Thanks for your reply. I'm still very curious as to why you didn't present when you first started having symptoms. Did you ever think that this could be a sign of stroke? What could have helped you take action sooner? I think it is fascinating that people can be having such a major symptom, but continue doing their daily activity without seeking help.

I will answer these as best I can.

My answers are bolded and below each question...

1. How did you recognize that you might be having a stroke or that something wasn't normal?

I was on the phone and noticed my speech sluring.

When trying to walk the world statied spinning like I was drunk or high.

I was only 30 at the time thought I was too young for stroke or heart attack

2. Did you make excuses for the symptom? For example, it must be my arthritis acting up or I must have slept on my arm funny.

NO I didn't make excuses I was 100% honest with the EMTs and the hospital staff

I DID however crack jokes as much as I could because I was scared to death.

Did not even consider it.

4. In retrospect, if you knew more about stroke symptoms, would you have been able to recognize your first symptom?

YES

No I called as soon as I knew something was out of whack..

6. If there was a way to measure your symptom, would it help you feel more confident in calling 911?

Not really, I knew I was in trouble and was fortunately able to explain everything to the operator

7. Is there anything you wish would have been available to help you when you were first having the stroke?

I wish the doctors had not played guessing games for several hours while I had mini stroke after mini stroke until the major 1 hit me like a ton of bricks.

Also wish I had been taken straight to a hospital that was equipped for recognising and dealing with stroke.

I was walking up some steps to the cafe at work and I had experienced vertigo and my right arm went numb!

I went to the doctor the next day. They diagnosed me with a mastoid infection ( which would explain the vertigo) and a pinched nerve in my arm. So they sent me home with steriods and antibiotics. I had a servere vertigo attact a few days later and went to the ER at hospital. They even did a cat scan. They agreed with my doctor. Pinched nerve and mastoid infection. Stronger antibiotics and more steriods and stuff for the dizziness. A few days/nights later I woke up in the middle of the night with left side numbness. Back to the ER again.

Nope. I was mis-diagnosed two times.

YES

I did'nt have too. But no I would'nt.

I just wish I and everyone else could have measured my symtoms.

TpA drugs! It was too late when I went in to the ER! Maybe not to late but nothing showed up on the cat scan the MRI was almost the next day when I got the results and verified that I did in fact had a stroke.

Terry

I was aware that something wasn't right, when I felt "off" and my limbs wouldn't cooperate...realized it was a stroke when I started checking things out and discovered my face was numb.

No...I get tired easy, but never felt that "wonky" before, even after just waking up.

No...in fact, I was afraid it would become a permanent problem.

Probably. I didn't know about the uncooperative limbs part (they were more wobbly and unsteady, than simply limp), I was more familiar with numbness/paralysis and slurred speech.

No... in fact, I had to convince my husband to call, rather than waiting to see if I felt better.

If I have to describe something, I usually use the "pain scale" (1 is no bother, 10 is agony), except I explain it's not pain, but rather whatever else and to what degree.

Somebody who understood I wasn't over-reacting... as if I wasn't frustrated and scared enough already!

There's a link to the story of my stroke, in my signature, for more details.

We had just discussed symptoms at work a couple days earlier. So, I started lifting my arms up and they appeared to work. I move my tongue back and forth and I thought I was fine. DENIAL, DENIAL, DENIAL.

I was walking on the treadmill, as I do every day (30 minutes) and I was determined to finish my walk, even though my shoes were not working right (my right foot particularly!) Then, I started falling down and could not support myself with my right arm. DENIAL, DENIAL, DENIAL. It's very powerful. After 15 minuts I quit trying to walk.

Of course I didn't want to go to the hospital because it was the Monday before Thanksgiving and I knew my Thanksgiving was going to be ruined. Eventually my husband called 911. But within 15 minutes, I was unable to speak at all. Pretty scary stuff. My worst fear is that it will happen again (especially in my sleep).

Howdy David ~

I was carrying my son out to the van after having an MRI on him. (we were adopting

him & knew he had head trauma due to abuse from former parents.) He was 3 yrs.old.

I felt my legs get heavy on the way to van, I prayed all the way to parking lot as we were

in bad part of Portland. He had tendencies to go w/ any stranger. As we got close to the van

I prayed harder to get him buckled in car seat. To make long story short, after buckling

him in, I collapsed. At that point could not feel my legs & the numbness was going towards

waist. As the van door was open, I looked over & there was a lady w/ her window down

parked right by my van. I asked her to please help, go inside & get someone to come get my

son, gave her my husbands cells # & told her I was diagnosed w/ an AVM several years

prior. A dr. who just happened to be doing a procedure on a patient(it was an X-ray office)

was first one out. By that time I had no feeling to chest & was having trouble talking. Heard ambulance in background after dr. asked questions. I knew in my heart that I had a bleed

going on in my brain The Dr. rode to hospital w/ me.@ that point lost all conciousness.

due to that I had right side stroke as AVM was in the executive part of brain. I lost all feeling

to right side, speech, motor skills, organization. Over time after surgery to remove avm,

in nursing home for 3-4 mos. where there were 2 P>T> on staff during week. Was moved

to in-patient 3 mos. out-patient 3 yrs. Regained most everything but lower leg still partially

paralized, wear a full length brace. My brain is still not right, but good enough to get through

days w/ smile & thankful to be alive.Raised w/ husbnds & friends help 4 children. 2 still @ home.

Take care ~ Nancy

Hi David

First it was a TIA

Was sitting at computer got dizzy felt sick in the stomach dry reached for 15 minutes had bad headache couldn't walk (balance)

2. Did you make excuses for the symptom? For example, it must be my arthritis acting up or I must have slept on my arm funny

Yes as early that day I was spraying for white ants around the property and though i had got some of the spray on myself

Yes

Yes

NO As answer 2 thought i would be ok the next day

6. If there was a way to measure your symptom, would it help you feel more confident in calling 911

No. Back to answer (2)

Information on strokes (public awareness programs)

One week later a friend found me unconcious on lounge room floor and called 000

Allan

David...........since it will be easiest to reply to each question, I will do what the others have done. My answers are below the question.

My eyes wouldn't track and one eye went one direction, the other went the other direction, at the same time. Then the vision in one eye split in half and was overlaid on the other half. VERY bizarre.

I was talking to my mother at the time and told her "something's not right" and since I had JUST come from my doctor's office just minutes before, I called the doctor's office (who called 911 for me), to ask what it could be.

Yes, I did, but when it didn't, and when I began to feel the need to evacuate my bowels and vomit at the same time, I knew something bad was happening. I just didn't know what.

Maybe........but my symptoms weren't the usual stroke symptoms, so I might not.

Not at all. I was grateful to my doctor's office who called 911 for me.......and the ambulance was there in 3 minutes.

Yes.

INFORMATION!!!!!!!! Oh my gosh, that was what I was desperate for! The neurological floor had NO information access, the stroke section had no information available, and it wasn't until I was discharged and sent home that my sister found this website and I was able to finally get information. Even the hospital's Stroke Support Group was on hiatus when I had my stroke, so that wasn't available. StrokeNet was a godsend to me........I can handle pretty much anything if I have information about it and what I can and cannot do.......and someone can tell me if this or that is normal. I didn't know anything about stroke......I couldn't figure out why I was sleeping around the clock, why I was crying all the time, why I couldn't remember anything beyond 30 seconds. StrokeNet gave me the answers; no doctor ever did. That's unconscionable, and lousy medicine!

Dianne

New Year' Eve I was out with my daughter shopping for groceries and movie rentals as we were planning a New Year's

evening at home. While we were out, I kept stumbling into her. We both noticed it but never thought it was a stroke

starting.

I insisted to myself, my daughter, and everyone I talked to on the phone that it was an inner ear infection as my

balance was "off"

I felt if I slept I'd feel better the next day but promised my brother who lived out of state that I'd go to the hospital

if I didn't feel better

no as I was not meeting the symptoms affiliated with FAST

Not afraid, stubborn and bullheaded. Was always a lousy patient (formerly a volunteer EMS). I ended up driving

myself to the hospital on 1-1-05.

Had I had the typical stroke symptoms yes.

tPA - but there was never any mention of it then. I never really knew about tPA until I joined Strokenetwork's

membership; therefore, I didn't ask for it. My daughter was with me at the hospital but she was 12 years of age then

and did not know to ask either.

Afterwards, when getting ready to be released from rehab I was just told to find a stroke support group. I located

Strokenetwork on my own about 6 months after stroke.

Hello, David:

I hope that you're getting good information from all of us. I had my stroke on 4-30-06 at the age of 38. They think probably was caused by birth control pills because I had clots in my leg that broke off and traveled.

I was walking down the hall and my feet started to feel very heavy--I was walking like a toddler, very clumsily and uncoordinated. I thought, "What the hell is wrong with me?"

No, I didn't make any excuses. I was just plain puzzled.

After my clunky walk down the hall, I plopped down in a chair. Then I tried to get up and fell. My entire right side had gone numb almost instantly. That was when I knew something was wrong.

Other than the fall, I didn't exhibit "typical" stroke symptomology. I didn't fit into the FAST categories other than I couldn't speak.

My husband called 911 after I fell and couldn't get up or speak (I was mute until after I had the Merci retrieval device grab the clot out of my brain).

My husband called 911 right away.

I, like many other younger stroke survivors, was misdiagnosed when I got to the ER. I didn't have an MRI until I was there almost three hours. That is when they found the clot in my brain (couldn't see it on the CT scan). I was tranferred to another hospital and administered t-PA which was marginally successful. Then, they used the retrieval device successfully. I'm lucky to live near some excellent health care facilities which specialize in stroke/aneurysm care.

I think emergency department personnel don't think STROKE when they see younger people exhibiting neurological symptoms. They tend to dismiss us as having inner ear issues, migraines, flu, etc. When I asked why it took so long to get an accurate diagnosis, I was told by my neuro that I didn't "present like a stroke." (Although I thought one-sided paralysis was a symptom. . .)

Good luck with your research,

Karen

1. How did you recognize that you might be having a stroke or that something wasn't normal? yes my hubby knew as soon as he saw me on the floor after i had passed out i guess. when i came to, i yelled to him for help cause i could not get up by myself,wondering why i was on the floor in the 1st place. my left side was useless.

2. Did you make excuses for the symptom? For example, it must be my arthritis acting up or I must have slept on my arm funny. no i had no symptoms until i went down, i thought i had slipped on rug on floor.i had a headache a few weeks prior to stroke that would not completely go away. it was not a bad headache, just a nagging one. thought it was stress related due to work and the holidays coming up

3. Did you think it would go away? i was praying it would go away and i refused to believe i was having a stroke.

i knew about strokes, i worked with survivors and their family's, was in medical field most of my working career.

no my family called them immediately

6. If there was a way to measure your symptom, would it help you feel more confident in calling 911? no

yes tpa. i was a perfect candidate for it, plus er dr told my hubby he was going to give it when my hubby demanded it be given after ct scan was done to determine type of stroke.

i too wish you luck in your research. i hope we have helped you in some way.

My ischemic stroke happened in my sleep, I had absolutely no signs anything was wrong, turned out a few contributing factors wer a blood disease, - thick blood antiphospholipids syndrome, caused a clot that traveled to my heart, when I was sressing I had abnormal heartbeat that caused the clot to break apart and travel through a hole in my heart to my brain WHO WOULDA THOUGHT :huh: , certainly not me I considered my self a fit and healthy 37 yo, funny what happens in life :rolleyes: :cloud9: cheerio Kris

Stroke Survivors,

I'm a research resident at Stanford and I'm trying to understand how people who suffer a stroke recognize their symptoms and then decide to take action. My ultimate hope is that i can help the 70% of stroke victims who delay seeking urgent medical attention. I appreciate any comments you have and look forward to reading your insights.

Here are some questions I think can help me understand the thought process that occurs from symptom onset to taking action. Please feel free to answer any one or all of these questions below.

I was driving to work on a major freeway early Sunday morning. Was under a lot of stress with a flooded house, work pressure, car problems, etc. The day before I'd had an excruciating pain on top of my head at work twice and remember thinking "it won't kill me" (The stress). Humming along at 65 mph I realized I was getting a flaat tire as I'd just had one the week before. Better pull over. Looked ahead on freeway to start doing that, traffic light. As I chose a spot and was using my arm to steer I realized my arm was stuck to the steering wheel, rubbery, and didn't seem attached to me. Pulling over I found that my whole right side was going numb, foot not feeling brake or accelerator. Stopped on a dirt patch and turned off engine, tried to get out of car to check the wheel. Could not stand up. Getting dreamy in the head, fuzzy, but also knew I was too close to traffic. Tried to start engine, could not turn key. Concentrated, got key on engine running. Pulled ahead a little but knew in a dazed way, as if I had hit my head, that I needed to stop and turn off key. Tried to get out of car again, could not stand up or get hand off wheel, stuck like glue. Took me a minute to find phone; freeway looked like a miniature play. Managed 911, could not talk, said stroke finally. Lost conection. More dreamy, soft, hazy, door open, tried calling out to cars. Was losing consciousness when I saw red light in front and behind.

2. Did you make excuses for the symptom? For example, it must be my arthritis acting up or I must have slept on my arm funny. No, I knew it was a stroke in a hazy way, but everything was so dreamy and soft, felt I was going down a squishy tunnel.

3. Did you think it would go away? No.

4. In retrospect, if you knew more about stroke symptoms, would you have been able to recognize your first symptom? Yes, had a thinking glitch a week before on Easter, panicking when my daughter did not arrive on time (I had the time off by 4 hours). Also, headache at work the day before, like a knife, never had that before, nearly passed out.

5. Were you afraid to activate 911? If so, why? No.

I had sheer luck during the stroke. No traffic, clear sunny day. Was in hospital three days, feeling came back in limbs in ER after three hours. Was not a TIA though. I actually now cannot remember those days, as if gone.

This information will be kept for my own personal information and your identity will not be revealed in any way. If you would like to go in more depth through a telephone interview, please provide a number I can reach you at and what time of day works best for you. Please include your time zone. Thank you for your time.

Sincerely,

David

David, I had my stroke Dec '99. I had gone to bed and awoke feeling odd and my right side was asleep I thought. I woke up again about 6 am and knew something was very wrong. Stoke was the farthest thing from my mind. I don't think I knew anything about strokes. I truly can't tell you how I got dressed, out to my car and drove myself to the hospital. Once at the hospital they administered the drug to stop it but it was too late. My right side was totally effected. I don't know when reality set in. I was in intensive care for about a week in Concord,NH where I had been living then transferred to Massachusetts where all my kids lived. Even then I really didn't grasp the severity of my condition. I was sure I would be back to work by May. I woke up every morning put my makeup on, did my hair with my left hand and was ready for therapy. April first I moved into a handicapped apartment alone. My kids thought I was crazy but my thinking was the sooner I started to do for myself the sooner I would gain the use of my right leg and arm. It took me about three years to get to walking (not very well)with a cane. I had some other physical problems that had the doctors stumped. Then I started falling first I broke my wrist then had corrective surgery on my foot. Back to walking with a cane then I fell and broke my hip. That was in '05 and I am still going to therapy with the intension of walking with a cane again. Today I am still wheelchair bound, I think my age 66 has effected my ability of bouncing back quickly. It is only lately that I have realized the fact that I am not going to fully get my arm and leg back to normal. Thus the name tenaciousgal. Never once did I think of 911. It is only aince I broke my hip that I have life line and believe you me I use it.

It has been interesting reading the postings from others. I have often thought will I recognize the warning signs where I was so oblivious to them I slept through the most important time frame for getting to the hospital. Good luck in your study, it is good to know that people like you care. Thanks, Maryann

Hi David:

I am responding for my husband as he cannot remember anything that happened to him when his Brain Stem Stroke hit. I observed Jack standing outside with our dog, talking to a neighbour on a sunny saturday morning after we had sat and drank a coffee and planned our day. About 10 minutes later, I had to get something from our downstairs and when I went down, I heard Jack call me in a very soft voice. A few seconds later, his voice was even softer calling me again. We have a big double walkout in our basement and he was sitting on the floor up against the door. His face was soaked with perspiration and he looked very weak. I asked him if he fell and hurt himself.......he said no, I just feel dizzy. I knew immediately there was something terribly wrong. What I didn't know. When I ran upstairs to get the phone to call 911, he asked me what are you doing? I told him and he said no......I'll be okay. He then started talking about "sunflower seeds".

Jack to that day was a totally healthy six foot five, basketball player who had no health issues whatsoever. Probably took 10 Ibuprofen a year for achy elbows after cutting wood. No other meds. Eats healthy, goes for his medical annually, not a type a personality....so, I had no idea what was wrong with him.

While waiting for the ambulance.....he started vomiting. At that time, I though maybe he ate the moldy bread in the cupboard for breakfast. I guess I was hoping that's what it was.

The hospital he was taken to has a Cat Scan .....but no cat scan operator on the weekends or evenings. I'm still very angry about alot of this.

Yes, I really wish that he was given the opportunity to be assessed for the tPA. I think he would have been far less disabled if he had the tPA. He would have been a candidate I beleive.....but it was too late when we got him to a hospital that could have administered it to him. His first cat scan showed a "small stroke" and then the bomb came after the second cat scan. Basilar artery infarct.....affected most of his pons and therefore also had "Locked in Syndrome".

Jack is now 13 months post and has been in rehab 10 months slowly making gains.

Keep up the work on stroke... there's not enough being done for it!!!

Hils

I JUMPED UP TO GO TO BATHROOM, 1 AM, INDUSTRIAL ENGINEER, 10/14/2002, ISCHEMIC TYPE STROKE.

2. Did you make excuses for the symptom? For example, it must be my arthritis acting up or I must have slept on my arm funny. NO.

3. Did you think it would go away? NO. NO ONE CAME FOR ME UNTIL 7:30, UNTIL CHURCH. I WAS AT MY SISTER AND AND THERE WAS NO CHILDREN AND 1 AM.

4. In retrospect, if you knew more about stroke symptoms, would you have been able to recognize your first symptom? I RECOGNIZED. I TRY TO GET HELP. I CALLED MY BOYFRIEND. BOYFRIEND RECOGNIZED ME AS DRUNK.

5. Were you afraid to activate 911? If so, why? I WISH I WOULD HAVE 911.

7. Is there anything you wish would have been available to help you when you were first having the stroke? 911

THIS IS MY STROKE:

ON OCT. 14, 2002, I WAS SLEEPING. I WAS FIXING TO GO TO THE BATHROOM AND THEN IT HAPPENED.

MY FOOT, ARM, AND ALL RIGHT SIDE WENT NUMB. I CALLED TO MY OLDER SISTER, RUTHIE. NO ONE. I REACHED OUT OF THE BATHROOM AND I CRAWLED TO MY PURSE AND MY CELL, CALLED TRUETT, BOYFRIEND. IT WAS 1 A.M. AND WANT MY MOM, LEE. HE, MY BOYFRIEND, SAID I SOUND DRUNK AND HUNG UP. NO ONE PHONED ME BACK AND I WAITED TIL 8 A.M., SUNDAY.

RUTHIE FOUND ME. JIM, HER HUSBAND, PUT ME IN BED AND RUTHIE CALLED AN AMBULANCE. RUTHIE, CALLED MY LITTLE SISTER, JAYNICE. JAYNICE SHE SAID, "IT'S A STROKE". JAYNICE IS A NURSE. JAYNICE, SAVED ME BECAUSE SHE TOLD THE MEDICAL PERSONNEL WANT PROBLEM. NO DRUGS. I HAD ALL READY EIGHT HOURS, ALONE.

I WAS UNCONSCIOUS FOR 3 DAYS. I WAS IN HOSPITAL FOR 17 DAYS. THE DOCTORS COULD FIND NO REASON FOR MY STROKE. THIS HAS BAFFLED EVERYONE, BUT ESPECIALLY ME.

I STILL HAVE TROUBLE FINDING THE RIGHT WORDS. SPEECH, OCCUPATIONAL AND PHYSICIAL THERAPIES, I STILL DO.

ASSISITIVE TECHNOLOGYHAS HELPED ME TO RECOVER. ADAPTATIONS TO MY CAR, TO LEFT STEERING AND BRAKE AND GO, ALLOW ME TO DRIVE. DYNAVOX, COMPUTER, HELPS ME TO SPEAK. MY FAMILY HELPS ME TO HAVE HOPE.

I WAS AN INDUSTRIAL ENGINEER, AT BELLSOUTH, BEFORE MY STROKE AND I HOPE TO RETURN TO WORK ONE DAY.

TO ANYONE WHO HAS A STROKE, MY PRAYERS ARE WITH YOU. I WANT TO ENCOURAGE YOU TO GET UP AND GO ON WITH YOUR LIFE. DON'T BE AFRAID OF LEARNING NEW WAYS, ESPECIALLY WITH ASSISTIVE TECHNOLOGY. WITH YOUR FAMILY AND FRIENDS, YOU CAN SURVIVE AND THRIVE.

POST-STROKE 10/14/2002. SPEECH AND P/T SHOULDER, STILL TAKING. I WALK NOT RUN. PATTY.

one week after school was out..I am a teacher and that year I had been in charge of ALL activities--homecoming, all dances...blood drives..all rallies...it was an insane year...I also taught 6 classes and did not have a prep period + I totally remodeled our kitchen at home... in Dec. 06 I had problems with trigeminal neuralgia and thot that was the worst of my problems.....6/14/07 i had a typical day...felt like i was starting to get a flu? cold bug...as day progressed....my dad called me and my mouth felt odd as i spoke to him and i felt very tired....told my hubby..... he flipped and took me to kaweah delta hosp in visalia...by time i got there i was losing strength on left side--esp. in my mouth..they took tests and diagnosed a tia...THEN SENT ME HOME...........i could not walk.......spent several hours at home then hubby called ambulance... took me to fresno community hosp...24-26 hours in the hallways..finally got a room..was on big drugs...cuz i was combative and out of control.... after 3 days i stabilized and got put on stroke rehab floor--

had pt there for 2 weeks.. then went home

1. , did not even remotely consider ever that iwould have a stroke--nobody had ever had a stroke in MY FAMILY HISTORY

d have a stroke...

2.yes, like i said i didn't have pain or?? just felt a little kinda run down...

3.no never considered a stroke

4.not really they were very slow to come on.

5. i couldn't figure out why visalia hosp. sent me home- i asked them not to..i was afraid to go home lK

6.i am not shy to call 911--but when i get there the hosp. needs to have competent staff thereto help me!!!!!

i later found out few hosp. have the shot to stop stroke....

7. yes, the shot and a doctor who knows his butt from a hole in the ground!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

phone # 559-897-3753 IF YOU'RE INTERESTED TO TALK..I TOOK 2007-08 SCHOOL YR. OFF--NOW I'M BACK W/

1ARM/LEG....IT SUCKS :(

I'VE SINCE REALIZED THAT most of us stroke victims are NOT diagnosed properly AND ARE NOT taken care of properly!!! :(

for my stroke, my husband recognized the symptoms and I kept telling him I was fine, because I was only 34. The biggest issue was that I thought it was 3 am and it was actually 3pm, so I told the EMTs I had been drinking, which meant no tPa for me. So if your patient tells you they have been drinking or doing anything else that contraindicates tPa, ask them what time it is now...to try to gauge if the contraindication was actually just done or if it was done yesterday. I had been drinking the night before and would NOT have been drunk at 3 in the afternoon, but kept telling everyone I had been drinking all night.I've also read that doing range of motion exercise rright after the stroke can help "remind" the brain of proper function. As for how I felt the night I had my stroke... I was feeling sick to my stomach and threw up, then fell on my butt and pooped myself, so I was a mess when my husband found me and he put me in the tub, where he noticed I couldn't scoot to the left. He figured it was a stroke, but couldn't remember FAST, so he called 911. My name is Charlene and I am on the East Coust (EST)I would love to help you answer any questions you might have. My number is 978-544-2609

• 2 weeks later...

During the day before i had my brainstem stroke , i had a few dizzy spells in which encounted during the week about 3 days before me being typical i said she will be right mate just alittle bit dehydrated. But that evening about 6 :15 pm felt a bit nauseated then BANG! i got this horrible like big electrical shock in my brain,vice-like pain, i can hear my wife calling the ambulance & talking to me in which i kept talking to her the shock & pain lasted a about a minute then most of my senses as in - talking , walking & seeing properly diminished, the paramedics arrived had to help me. I hope this info will help you in your research. Till this day talking or thinking about that DAY still freaks me. Good luck with your research .

Hi David,

I had had EMT training, and worked in two hospitals. I knew I was having a stroke, and before I was unable to talk I asked my supervisor to call 911, and to call my husband. It happened really quickly, and it took me a few secs to realize what was happening. If I hadn't been at work at the time, (At home or in my car.) I'm afraid I wouldn't be here.

I was only a couple of blocks away from the hospital; they took excellent care of me.

Susan :bungee:

I KNEW SOMETHING WAS WRONG WHEN THE MIDDLE OF THE RADIUS/ULNA SECTION OF MY ARM FELT AS IF IT WAS FALLING ASLEEP. I GOT UP, TOOK TWO OR THREE STEPS AND FELL. FORTUNATELY, A FRIEND WAS WITH ME. I ASKED HIM TO CALL 911 BECAUSE I WAS HAVING A STROKE. I DON'T KNOW WHAT MADE ME SAY THAT, BUT I KNEW I WAS RIGHT. I HAD AN AMBULANCE WITHIN 10 MINUTES, AND WAS TAKEN TO A HOSPITAL LESS THAN A MILE AWAY. I WAS AWAKE DURING THE WHOLE THING, AND HAD NO PAIN.

BARBIE S.

• 3 weeks later...

I noticed something wasn't normal when I was slurring my speech, and couldn't understand anything I said. That was Feb 12th. Right as I was getting ready for bed.

Yes, I had just been put on nuarontin (sp?) for nerve pain in my arm for a work injury.

Yes, I did think it would go away, and it did, until the next day at work, it started again, at which time I called my Dr.

Yes, I would have called 911, I Was only 34 at the time, and that was the LAST thing that I thought it would be.

N/A

N/A

-------------------------------------------------

I do have to say that when I called my Dr's office on the 13th, and gave the nurse my symptoms, she told me to come in the following day to see the Dr. When I saw my Dr, and told him what was going on, he sent me over to the hospital, after an MRI, we found the clot.

upon my follow-up visit after my release from the hospital, my Dr had ALL new staff.

Archived