clots

hello my stroke was may9/2008 i just had a visit to the hospital for dvt blood clot in my leg and doc put me on coumadin and stayed in the hospital 4 days one week later back to the hospital for fainting spell we do not know why for both looking for clotting disorder and getting eeg next week i am in pain in my legs and exhausted. anyone with ideas please help love mel

You certainly have had your share of medical issues during the past six months. I don't have any info to help with the leg pain or fainting spells but i am sure someone here at Stroke Net will be able to help.

Please continue to rest as much as you are able. Your stroke is still relatively new and healing is still taking place.

I wish you well.

Stessie

I just went to the hospital ER Sunday, they took c-scan, x rays, EKG and couldn't find a thing but I have severe pain in leg, arms, shoulder and everywhere I think. They concluded I needed to return to OT, PT therapy. My arm is so heavy I can hardly lift it up with elbow bent and my walking is worse than when I first stroked in Jan 04.

I thought I had a bleed again without knowing it cause my finger tips are numb and elbow. But they saw nothing to resemble a stroke. So it's me, pain meds and off to the gym to use the machines, sauna and hot tub. My exercise bike and over-the-door pulley, I guess, isn't enough, I'm very stiff all over my weak side and coughing like crazy which they say is my sinus draining in my throat.

I'm very tired and about ready to call it quits on my job of almost 3 years. Ideas I don't know or have any way of knowing what is going on at this point.

Hi Mel

I suffer from pain in my lower body what causes mine is the arteries in my body especially to my heart are narrowing with fat plaque etc stopping my heart from supplying the muscles to my body with enough oxygen enriched blood that they need, I take a regime of medications to help smooth out the arteries and help the blood flow and to help the heart from overworking I also take morphine meds for the pain. basically have the pain under control but stuck with the medication for the rest of my life

Best Wishes

Allan

Hi, Mel:

I, too, am on Coumadin since my stroke (4-30-06), and my stroke was caused by traveling clots from a DVT mass in my left leg. I will be on Coumadin for life.

I'm sorry you're in pain--it stinks to hurt, especially when you're recouping from the stroke (mentally, physically and spiritually). But, I'm going to offer one tidbit of advice--DON'T massage your leg that has the DVT, even if it alleviates the pain. This is one of the ways, I was told by the docs/nurses in the hospital, clots can break off and travel throughout the body to the lungs, heart and possibly the brain.

Coumadin can cause some side effects. I don't think it would cause you to faint. DVT obviously causes circulation issues. And, the clots don't necessarily go away quickly. It's tough to be patient with this whole stroke/clot thing, isn't it?

Please hang in there, be sure to rest and breathe, listen to your doctors and take your Coumadin as prescribed--very, very important! I'm hoping you will get more answers soon.

Karen

Hi there, Good Morning to u. Here are my thoughts, I have horrible pain in my legs and feet ever since my Brain Stem Stroke, I NEVER had pain there until the stroke, However, I am on pain peds for it and like others stated, will be for life .... I am trying to get off of them, I don't want to be on so many meds for life, I take over 18 pills a day, pre stroke NADA, How life changes.

It is necessary to keep my legs elevated. I also have PT once a week, they come to my house. Have you thought of keeping a journal/log? That helps me when I record my symptoms -- any changes, so when I see my DR it is more information for him. I wish I could lay in my bathtub and just relax and have the water soothe my aching body, however, I can't get down in it and won't be able to get up and I am not calling 911 to come to my rescue me. Besides, with my Muscular Dystrophy I can't .... dang it all, I so loved those moments when I would get a tub bath ready, light the candles, have an awesome bubble bath, soothing music, my fav drink beside me, total peace... then BAM reality sets in years later, they were good when they lasted. I have looked into getting a special tub that they have for peeps like me, however, they start at like 35.000 bucks, forget that. If I had that kind of money, I would go to an island and be spoiled. hehehe

My DR explained to me this: our legs are like hoses. The blood needs to flow up and down, when the hose gets twisted, etc. it messes things up, leg swelling, etc. We are to not just sit, or lay down, etc. We need to get movement, I explained to him, well, what about someone in my position? he said I am doing what I can do. Just try to do a lil more. Yeah, Dr, I have just signed up for a 5K race. hehehe

He did make sense, so I have to just figure out how to continue to incorporate this in my life with the ability that I have. Ever since they took the vein in my right leg for my bypass surgery my right leg is always larger than my left. I was told this was normal. I never thought it was. Also my feet swell and I can't ever get my shoes on, and when my hubby does get them on, they hurt. So, I am back on my fluid pills and I use Peppermint oil on them and that helps so much. I had to get compression hose and I will start those tomorrow. My DR gave me a RX for them. 56$ each. I can't believe how expensive they are, and they don't go all the way up my leg like they did when I was in the hospital.

I see your stroke wasn't that long ago, just take it a sec at a time, it takes a while for your body to adjust, the greatest lesson (one of them) it to be patient. I have had other strokes since my Brain Stem one, and they have really done me in, I am tired all the time, my body is fatigued, I have been sitting on the front porch and I just love sitting out there, change of pace, good for the soul. I will be keeping you in my prayers. Keep coming back, let us know how u r doing. This is a great group of people and we can share our experience, strength and hope with you. God is carrying you in his loving arms. God Bless, Believe in Miracles and SOAR, Hugs, Love, Jan :friends:

I forgot to mention I get checked for clots as well, They do a doppler test. FYI

Hi Mel,

I'm sorry to hear you are having more trouble! Don't! rub or massage the leg with the blood clot, it can cause it to break loose and travel to places like your brain or heart. The fainting I can't even guess without knowing you better

I'll keep you in my prayers.......God Bless.........Joy

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Mel, welcome to StrokeNet. If you are having trouble with DVTs, that was good advice not to rub or massage your legs. My sister did before she knew it was a DVT and the clot went up to her lungs,she was very lucky they caught it in time, she was in the hospital at the time. I was told that DVTs are common after a stroke because we become sedentery(not sure if that spelled wrong). Could the fainting be a side efeect or reaction to the coumadin? Just a thought. Good luck to you in your search for relief.

hi mel and welcome 2 stroke net me my self i had had 2 endour dvts in my left leg i have 2 wear special fitted compression socks daily as well as keep my legs elevated up there is now a thing called a screen that can bwe put in veins2 catch a blood clot if they should break loose ive had a few doppler tests done2 out rule that i had blood clots once again and again the last 1 i had had a clot ur leg turns hot u can feel the heat with your hands i was told what compression socks do because of how they word they push the fluid build up in your leg and right 2 your kidneys causing u 2 have 2 use the potty more often than the reg person. there likea ounce ofpervention very goodperventionat thatu should keep yourleg up and evenwith your heart i have been dealing with dealing with dvts 4 4 yrs now my last go round i landed in the hosp 4 2 weeksi wasgiven my usual dosedose of coubidin as well as heprin threw a iv i know ill be on coubidin prob 4 the rest of my life i call my self a lifer here at home but really ask your doctor about a screen 2 catch a clot should 1 break loose im not sure of themedical termanologyofit but it did sound hopeful goodluck with which ever way u choose2 follow again

:welcome: 2 strokenet where thereare so manykind andunderstanding peopleon this site im goinbgonalmost 4 yrs as a member here onstrokenet the#1 stroke support site out there hope u look in2 all your options out there andu were given quite a few by other members most of all follow what your doc says 2 do

BESSY :big_grin:

Dear Mel,

Here is a link to a list of severe side effects of coumadin: http://www.drugs.com/sfx/coumadin-side-effects.html. I'd like for you to look at them in order for you be better equipped to speak with your doctor about your symptoms - some of them may be from the coumadin. It's interesting because this site states there are no common side effects to coumadin - any side effects are to be taken seriously.

That being said, everytime I make a comment I am taken back to the time of my husband's first major stroke 10/25/04. We had nothing but complication after complication. Bill also had a DVT just as he was going to be discharged home. He also suffers from widespread athrysclorosis. He has real severe pain in both legs after walking about 50' and he has to stop. After several minutes he can walk again. He has been on coumadin since 2004 and will be the rest of his life as well. But, heh, it beats the alternative!

I've said many times to recent stroke survivors that the first year is really, really tough for some people. My husband's first year seemed like one step forward and two steps back. I think we were at the doctors at least twice a month for some issue. He had surgery for an artery bypass in his leg, he had congestive heart failure and he even had another stroke. But it has now been over a year since he's been in the hospital. He is still very exhausted and sleeps a lot.

Good luck to you and do keep coming back! Someday you will be the one offering advice.

hi mel and welcome to this great place full of friendly and helpful people who care and understand. i think your exhaustion is from your stroke. survivors often will be tired and need to rest as much as you can, your stroke is fairly recent too. the 1st year is the toughest. i hope you get some answers from your doctors about your pain and discomfort and they can help you. hang in there and take each day as it comes. rest and take care of yourself. keep us updated on how you are doing.

Hi Mel and welcome to our part of cyber space. I do hope you can start feeling better. Exhaustion is quite common after stroke. In our Classic Postings and Advice is A Letter From Your Brain - http://www.strokeboard.net/index.php?showtopic=83 If you haven't seen it, you may want to read; it will give you and those around you some added insight as to what has happened to your brain.

Please know that we're here for you. You are not walking the recovery road alone.

I just went to the hospital ER Sunday, they took c-scan, x rays, EKG and couldn't find a thing but I have severe pain in leg, arms, shoulder and everywhere I think. They concluded I needed to return to OT, PT therapy. My arm is so heavy I can hardly lift it up with elbow bent and my walking is worse than when I first stroked in Jan 04.

I thought I had a bleed again without knowing it cause my finger tips are numb and elbow. But they saw nothing to resemble a stroke. So it's me, pain meds and off to the gym to use the machines, sauna and hot tub. My exercise bike and over-the-door pulley, I guess, isn't enough, I'm very stiff all over my weak side and coughing like crazy which they say is my sinus draining in my throat.

I'm very tired and about ready to call it quits on my job of almost 3 years. Ideas I don't know or have any way of knowing what is going on at this point.

You know I've got the coughing as well, but not to the extent you have it. Doc says I need to get out and do more, got a city gym just a few blocks away. Maybe I need to join, and get back to the exercise.

Archived