what are we?

mcdube

I was reading an old post. The author was saying that he didn't like the label "disabled" . I once read something that refered to a person with a handicap as " physically challenged", this description and "survivor" are the two descriptions of myself that I prefer.

Calling Patrick "disabled" really p*sses him off! It is such an unbecoming term, isn't it? He may not be able to do certain things but he certainly is very "able". Stroke survivor is the only appropriate term I know for him.

Kristen

i think we are who or what we want to be. we have earned that much. i am physically challenged now in certain areas of my body. i am a survivor with a purpose. i do things now just differently than before. thats just my thoughts anyway

I refuse to defined by anyone but myself. Through this I have learned that I was much more mentally, emotionally, and physically stronger than I ever could have imagined. As a result I am proud to say and have earned the title survivor.

I really don't care, myself. Besides, it's not like I can stop anybody from calling me anything. I suppose you could ask individuals to use one title, but unless they're a friend or family and really care about you, probably won't bother.

I guess if I was really picky about it, "physically challenged" would be it. Because some things are challenging (walking uphill), whereas other things are perfectly fine (walking downhill). Maybe "physically restricted"? But that might insinuate I'm not able to do stuff at all...I can usually DO things, just not at the pace of any other given person, or with more effort.

Then again, I don't take myself seriously at all. I say that I park in "handicrapped" (because being this way is crappy!). I also call myself a gimp...sometimes. I remember once in a chat room, I mentioned being a gimp....boy, did I get chewed out! Told not to call people that, and I said "I was only refering to myself", but apparently she didn't care LOL

I can understand why some people get upset about the label 'disabled', but honestly for me, I'm much more concerned about regaining function in my affected arm and leg than I am about what label someone might apply. I'm too busy trying to get better and taking care of myself to worry about insensitive clods.

Well, they can call me what they want and many people have for 67 years but I remain who I am, a man with a plan programed by God. "What are we?" Whom ever we want to be, the choices are all ours.

Hi Folks......

I agree with Ria........

I *am* a survivor..........

Although sometimes when I'm walking around with the cane I shout out "Mr. Dillon, Mr. Dillon!".....

Some people get the nuance....some don't...<G>...

I'm still me.....just a little crooked and weak on one side....

Enough to knock me outta what I was doing for a living....but that's OK I guess....

I was gonna retire at 62 anyway....4 years....

These are the cards what are dealt.......

I figure to play the hand, because I ain't gonna drop out of the game.....

At first I did'nt even like the term survivor at all. I did however appricate life more. (For some reason. :) ) I have always valued my family but now it is very improtant to me. I am thankful I have another day to enjoy and I don'nt bother with worrying about the small stuff.

Terry

I'm a stroke survivor. I don't like the disabled or crippled labels. I do have some handicaps so I don't mind the mention of my being handicapped.

Hey Terry......

I couldn't agree with ya more.....

I would extend it to valuing people more, too......

It seems you survive a stroke and you are gonna see a shakeout in the folks you know.....

And it is to a large extent due to how they evaluate your survivorship....

I come from a larger family, so there was a shakeout there, too....

Some of the folks catch on to the survivor concept, some just can't....

It's funny where the true folk show up sometimes....

I do not take any notice of what "label" people put on me

I have my challenges every day, that is more important to me than what others might think.

I'm just happy to wake up each morning and enjoy my life to my fullest abilities.

To enjoy my family and friends.

Thats all I ask in life.

Allan

• 1 month later...

Hello to All!

There is a wonderful billboard advertisement posted on a major highway not too far from where I live. It says "LOOK AT MY ABILITY" I am on disability for reasons other than stroke and I must say society in my little world does make you feel much like a second hand citizen. I just keep my head up high and keep going.....no one has the right to judge unless they've walked in your shoes.............Joy

• 2 months later...

I am a Child of GOD first and foremost. I am a Prayer Warrior and a Warrior in the battle against that Beast, Stroke, I am a Brain Stem Stroke Survivor. I am a wife ,StepMother, Step Grandmother, I am a Friend..... The only true disability or handicap that I know of is A BAD ATTITUDE. There are so many in that line. Not I.

I am a soldier in the battlefield of living after a quad bypass. I am a writer, an author. A Mommy to my precious Harley. I am not a victim...... I am a survivor and warrior. Yep, that's my take on it.

Good topic.

Jan

Hugs,

Believe In Miracles And SOAR

• 4 weeks later...

Archived