Therapy and Insurance

It seems like most people are able to get therapy for a much longer time than I have been able to. My insurance did not allow me to get more than 6 months, the 1st 3 that I was in the hospital and 3 more months in a day treatment program. Now, 2 years out, I feel like I could really benefit for more OT and PT. Was everyone's insurance that much better than mine? Since I am unable to work, I have applied for social security and disability. Will I be able to get more therapy once that is approved? I do my stretching every day, I do what I can everyday by stretching but I think I could benefit from more therapy. Any information would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Cassidy

Lots of survivers can't get adequate therapy. I was able to get PT and OT while in a rehab faciliity for about 2 months. After I was released, I got no therapy at all. My weakened left leg still performs very poorly. I have kept up with my hand exercises and bought some exercise equipment to use at home. There seems to be an attitude that stroke doesn't require extensive follow-up therapy. Anne

Cassidy,

I can say this...Medicare pays less treatments than any insurance does. I've been at it for almost five years now. My regular insurance paid for more therapy than any other means I was entitled to get. Medicare just doesn't authorize very much in a year's time frame.

I now use a military gym for free, they have every machine you could want to use in keeping fit. Some of the gyms like Gold Gym has personal trainers available and a years membership is about 100 bucks. That's not bad. Then there is the YMCA chains operating in many cities you could use...some have pools and workout rooms.

Some hospitals have senior physical fitness classes too! Most are free or 5.00 membership at most.

Guest lwisman

Check your local Y for classes aimed at those with arthritis. Most have these classes. They are very beneficial to stroke survivors and cost a whole lot less than traditional therapy.

Cassidy

I mirror what the others have already said. Additionally, you can participate in volunteer research studies for stroke survivors. The best Pt I received was in a leg lab study three times a week for three months. I also do water therapy at a nearby gym which costs less than my $30 co-pay for each PT

visit at the rehab center.

Stessie

Cassidy,

The previous posts offer some good suggestions to tradition therapy that you might want to look in to. After botox injections I am granted more therapy for my arm, but with a $30 copay per session 3 times a week being "covered" is not all that it is cracked up to be.

I think after we've done this a while we almost become conditioned to believe that unless it's being done by a professional, it's not being done right or well enough. My husband and son have gone with me enough they know how to stretch my arm. It hurts just as much if they do it. I'll be the first to admit I buy right into the it has to be done by a therapist mindset, but just because it's prescribed therapy doesn't necessarily make it more beneficial.

I've been fighting my insurance company for months now, but Medicare seems to be helping me more. I have the added deficet of being 35, so people assume that I need less therapy. Maybe because I'm younger, I'm supposed to wake up tomorrow fully healed. As a side note. My one year anniversary is on Sunday the 26th, Hubby and I are going out to eat, my 13 year old doesn't understand why I would celebrate the day I stroked. I'm celebrating the last year that I've worked through, and just the fact that I'm on this side of the dirt

Hi Folks....

Yeah...medicine is *run* by the insurance folks in this country.....

Based on what both clowns we get to pick from as Pres say.....not a whole lot is gonna change very soon....

This my first year, and after the acute in hosp and in home, basically had 20 ea PT, OT.......

After that....SOL....

Last week the PT and OT Terrorists agreed that for now I had "plateaued"......

I was almost out, anyway....

Here's the kicker....after Jan I can get therapy again, but insurance has a $5000 deductible and a $7500 out of pocket....

It hasta be proved necessary....

Like, I have $5000 laying around....

So....hafta do my best....

*Sigh*

I did not get any PT or OT after my stroke. I spent 3 days in the hospital on basically "watch" and was released back to work. It probably was the best thing for me but I had alot of issues to deal with and at first did'nt fare very well. After two days back I made a trip to the ER. I did'nt have another stroke but I thought I was. :o Noises bothered me alot and my brain was healing so I had all kind of different sensations. I think it is sad that the insurance companys can ditate what care you can recieve. It should be what is best for you and not the bottom line and just dealing with cost. I think the Y is a good solution to additional PT.

Terry

I was quite lucky because we have universal healthcare. I had 12 weeks of OT and physio in the rehab hospital, and then nine months of OT and Physio as an out patient. There are also chances to get more OT and Physio by getting in a program from the University here. The program is for stroke research which comes around yearly, it provides four months of intensive rehab with the training rehab students.

cassidy after you get on ssdi, medicare will kick in after 2years if you want it. they will pay for therapy but right now they have caps on the amount you can receive in a calender year. hopefully that might change when you are ready for medicare. i am 6yrs out from my stroke and i need more therapy also, hopefully soon i will be able to do that. i am a firm believer the more therapy the better. after my stroke i got 4weeks of inpatient rehab and 2 weeks of outpatient. due to my insurance also. then i have received more after talking to my neuro. after my medicare kicked in. i wish you luck on your disability application. keep us posted on how it is going.

Archived