Where are you at in your stroke recovery?

stessie

This year I worked on election day as a poll worker. I had done so the previous year, too (2007). I was fortunate to work with the same group of people this year as last. I hadn't seen them for a year and all commented on how far along I was in my stroke recovery compared to this time last year. I realized it really makes a difference when someone whom you do not see on a regular basis comments on how far along you have come. My dentist had already made this observation just recently, too (had not seen him for six months).

What can you do today that you could not do six months ago, a year ago, two years ago, and etc.? Where are you in your stroke recovery? What are your goals and what assistance do you have in reaching those goals? Are you more at peace than you were a year ago? Do you still worry about having another stroke?

It helps when we see in writing where we are today and where we hope to be in the future.

My best to you.

Stessie

Gidday Stess, Yes i have come along way since i had my attack july 2007,I couldnt walk, swallow, cross-eyed, speech slured,.Today my walking improved alittle still drunk though, dyshagia nearly cured aa well my talking and my vision sort off back to norm. but hey you do cast your mind back& think in which i rather not because that day gives me the creeps and rather look forward in which goes with my temperment which is a lot calmer than before took alot of practice to acheive without pills.As for my goals, i put on abit of weight so i trying to lose that ,11 kilos(25pounds approx) was120 kilos now 109 working on it &trying to get back in the clothes i was wearing.As for the other goals just taking each day as it comes and enjoying them.Yes things are more at peace now with the odd hiccup from time to time.Having another one dont think about it to much of life to enjoy.TAKE CARE- Phil :forgive_me?:

I am alive!!! I had bleeds into the brain with infarctions and I guess God is merciful as I dont remember much of it. Not even the rehab. I have bits and pieces. Today I can walk some with the aid of my cane. If it is any distance I have my mobility scootie. I have alot of weakness which is a reminder of all that I would not have had if I had not survived. I am stronger than the sum of my parts. Strokes are not fair!! My Dad died from his ischemic stroke. My mom died from her hemmoragic stoke, My brother has had several strokes. He is my Hero. He wont buy into my excuses!! Now I will tell you that my Mom my Dad my brother none of us are genetically connected as my parents could not have children and we were adopted as infants! We are all survivors here. We are blessed!

Yes Thankfully I am still alive.

I'll be 4 years post this next New Year's Day. I am pleased to say that I'm still seeing improvements. Six months ago I was not able to climb up and down my steps as a big girl (ya know left right left right) and NOW I can.

I could not lift my affected arm up in the air unless I was lying flat on my back. Now standing or sitting I can raise it shoulder high. It shakes massively like a jack-hammer but it goes up.

I year ago I could not take a dressing off my right arm by myself (from getting blood work done) as I couldn't use my bad hand to put off dressing). Six months ago that changed as I was able to move my left hand against the dressing and push to loosen the tape (those techs really make sure they put lots of tape after blood tests lol). Yes I know it would be easier to get my daughter to pull it off or let the shower loosen it up but I'm stubborn and vowed to succeed one day.

It's been lots of adaptation but I will not give up and let stroke win.

Donna, you have come a long way. Your comment about the steps made me smile. I remember those days.

I recall one day when I was able to get straight up from the toilet without having to put my hand on back of the tank and push off....I was thrilled and it was probably one of my best highlights. My younger daughter couldn't seem to grasp how excited I was. For me, it was a huge accomplishment.

Stessie

Hi Stess

Have come a long way since my stroke some good points some bad I do not have the shakes in my arms anymore and have regained 95% of my memory.

Then I lost my legs early this year that took a while to overcome, but can look after myself quite well now .Do I fear another stoke after the last one Aug 10 07 YES I DO was only this past Wednesday was sitting watching television I felt this vein in my head balloon out there was no pain and it only lasted a few secs and settled down but straight after I could not lift or move my right arm it was like a ton weight sitting on it and my right thigh was the same but after several minutes everything turned back to normal. Spent the night in hospital and came home the next day just something i have to live with. I'm on max. medications to help but that does not seem to be enough. The doctors were quite blunt when i was in hospital I respect them for that, they just said that i will finish up in a bed in a nursing home or will not survive one day. but now I have god in my life.

Allan

PS

I'm not looking ahead but when I look back I have had a good life

Stessie:

I think I have come quite far from day of my stroke. only wish I had in the hodpital was able to go to bathroom by myself. & after four years not only I am independent but there are people in my household who are dependent on my cooking,laundry & taking care of bills. not only I can walk to bathroom but I enjoy my 3 miles walk on a regular basis alone or with my hubby. I am truly thankful about how far I have come and for the second chance I got though it does come with some frustration but I m thankful for my teeth to pick up the slack.

Asha

I think early on in our recoveries some of our progress indicators are the shedding of tangible items we may no longer need as we progress. We may go from a wheelchair to a quad cane to a single post to walking unassisted. These type changes make it crystal clear that progress is being made.

As time goes on and you are then walking unassisted you may not notice that it only takes you 30 seconds to walk down the hall to the bathroom instead of a minute and a half. The progress continues it just doesn't have the flashing lights and arrows pointing to it that it once did, so you need to be more astute. Were you able to open a jar for the first time? Do something in your own? Recovery never stops- just don't forget to stop looking for it.

QUOTE:"I think early on in our recoveries some of our progress indicators are the shedding of tangible items we may no longer need as we progress. We may go from a wheelchair to a quad cane to a single post to walking unassisted"

YES YES YES!! I have found myself going out to the store, the restaurant or even down the road to feed my horses and FORGETTING my cane and or walking stick. GOOD SIGN I HOPE!!

Just like forgetting my glasses and seeing perfectly until the moment I realize my glasses are NOT ON!

I have been near sighted with stigmatism since the 4th grade no less!

QUESTION TO ALL: Could a stroke make your eyes even get better?? :Clap-Hands:

I am really into the adventure of this recovery now... :laughbounce:

WHAT A WORLD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Cheers All,

Brenda (freo) McCann

Idaho USA Earth

http://www.lightsoflove.us

stessie,

it is funny but i don't seem as obsessed about recovery progress as i did earlier. then again, as others have said the progress was very clear such as out of the wheelchair and using a quad cane. thinking over the last 6 months i realize i have improved in several big ways. first off, i can walk without the terrible hip pain i had for 2 years. this is due to a new afo. also, i have ventured out into public without my hubby or sister. i did that in signing up for a art class at our local tech. i was terrified but did it anyway.

thanks for the great post...recovery really never stops! kathy

my father is 9 months post major stroke, his mind is now alive and activly seeking a quick fix. he is paralyzed on his left side, and cannot read, he loved to read, everything goes awry when he tries. he is in a power chair, amen, we got him that, yet, he is ready to get up and go, i talk to him 3x a day and see him 4 x a week.....it's so hard to see this. also his age is a HUGE factor...he is 83, also has advanced parkinsons.

i'm at my wit's end trying to keep his spirits up. i'm his one and only, his daughter.

going thru a deep depression on top of panic.....he was my hero all of my life, i'm always there for him, yet, it is not enough!

thanks for listening!

bijous

Hand in there biijous..you are doing a great job and such a caring and loving daughter. You are doing all you can and that is something. you are there for your Dad. Recovery is a long process and takes a lot of work. Just remember to take care of yourself.

To the original post topic. I started cooking again on the stove and that was a big one for me.Though I'd like to be farther along I am so much better and can do more from 6 months ago. It's still a work in progress.

I was a level 3 field technician. I worked on an unlimited variety of construction equipment, was well established with at least 75 customers in a 3 state area. I was a field tech for eight years. I remember only a few customers and the rest is a foggy memory. I exercise mentally and physically when I remember or when I am reminded to do so. I am thankful that my wife and kids are here to help me. They use to depend on me, now I depend on them to help me in so many ways. It has been about 16 months since my strokes, very little improvement. Most of the time I wake up in the mornings feeling like I did the morning after I had the strokes. It's a SORRY SITUATION but I won't let the strokes win.

GE MARTIN

I am so glad you will not let stroke win. Please keep us posted as to improvement.

My best to you.

Stessie

Yesss, Stess: :Clap-Hands:

I am now 1 year and a half almost...my right brain stroke was 6/14/07- :yeahrite: a day which shall live in infamy....or for me I'd really rather just forget. :yadayada: Ya, kids, me , too,--we've come a long way baby. I went home in July '07 from over 2 weeks of rehab in a wheelchair. Now I am mobile in my dreaded/hated afo and a smaller-ish quad cane. My arm is liftable and I can grip w/ my hand, howver, it has klepto-tendencies and doesn't release too well. I think I am lucky tho because my hand is for most of the day relaxed[/i and lately I've been able to move my thumb...verrrrrrrry exciting stuff!!!!! I went back to teaching this fall --full time and I feel good about that. I think it's helped make me stronger mentally and physically... 5th period kinda riles me up a bit, but w/ the help of DRUGS : paxil....sometimes I just don't care...life still goes on.....incontinence still plagues me, but I actually do better on school days =with a schedule I follow strictly...I am not really obssessedanymore w/ recovery. It seems to me that the farther I move along away from old Julie :happydance: ----the more I can accept new Julie...even w/ her limitations. : :Tantrum: As long as I have the love of my dear husband :friends: and family too... I think I will make it. I think I will continue to improve....hand and foot..now more slowly, but in the same progressive direction , until one day I'll be able to :tongue: a. walk w/o a cane ( which I do verY awkwardly now in my house and MY classroom---but eventually I hop to do this in the real world and :cheer: (B.) be able someday to pick up a grandbaby in my arms....luckily my girls are slow to find THEIR Mr. Right, but that's good as I need more time too. Sorry I haven't posted for a long time, but am busy w/ school....it's going good. sTILL FEEL VERY THANKFUL FOR THIS WONDERFUL :chat: SITE AND ALL YOU CHARMING :chat: FOLKS' LOVE :hug: AND WISDOM. HUGS AND LOVE TO ALL : :hiya: !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!j

Julie

It is so good to hear from you. I am happy things are progressing well for you and that you are back to work. I bet it makes the day go somewhat faster.

I couldn't agree more with your comment that you don't obsess as much about stroke and recovery now. At first I was consumed with learning as much as I could and then going over it again and again. I lived finding information day and night. I'm a little over 18 months out now and I have been blessed that the numbness is going away. It's crazy in that I got so used to the constant numbness that I almost missed it at first or thought something was missing with my body. It's like "hey, I didn't invite you in...but where did you go?"

You will continue to improve. The children in your class are fortunate to have you back.

Best wishes for a pleasant Thanksgiving holiday.

Stessie

Hi Folks......

Yeah....

The big improvements were mostly at the beginning.....

Going from my whole right side wiped out, to......

Walking with a brace and cane....And living on my own with minimal help from others....

In an upper flat.......

Since the major improvements have slowed down in frequency, I'ved focused on the little ones.....

My little rewards...

I can now deal with a coat zipper efficiently....Yesterday, dug/pulled a splinter from under my fingernail using my right hand and a pin.....(!)......Shaking a person's hand right handed...

'Course another major improvement would be welcomed....<G>....

In the beginning, I was kinda obsessed with recovery....I hadda prove to folks that I could live independently...

That being accomplished....and that was huge...I began working on stuff that would said existence better...

It seemed the improvement in my stuff slowed down to almost nothing.....

But other folks noticed it......

When the therapy folks figured I had plateaued, I reviewed my progress over the time I had spent with those folks, requesting no holds barred commentary.....

I was actually amazed..... despite some bummer aspects of my prognosis....

Well, them's the cards as dealt, let's what I can do with them.....

Regards....

I am 5+ yrs post stroke now. My walking improved the 2nd and 3 rd years. Some days, especialy if I get tired I do a pretty good impression of someone who may have had a couple too many....LOL.. After the first and 2 nd years recovery may not seem to be the BIG strides we were making. It is more fine tuning.. dong tasks easier, without so much thought or effort. Or like Maria said, a trip down the hall is not cut in half time wise.

Rember all our lives things change. It is about learning to change with it. It is Always to soon to give up.

Hang in there. The first year after stroke is a rough one.. Loads going on. We are not called Survivors for nothing..

Bonnie

• 2 weeks later...

Well for me the big thing in this year was getting into a canoe and actually paddling. The small thing was being able to wiggle my toes, this was extemely interesting since I am 2 years 6 months out and I know I wasn't working on neuroplasticity for my toes. Still looking for total recovery even if it takes me 10 years. The main problem as I see it is getting the hand back. I am feeling positive about recovery but the continuing fatigue is rather tiring.

Dean

Thank you Sessie and everyone else I love this site, particularly on bad days/weeks, I am 22mths into recovery, hmm the last 6 mths, I have had sucsess with neuropathic pain with the help of accupuncture, I am managing 2 half days per wk back at my shop, fatigue is still my main problem, have lost some hearing in my left ear, but my left hand movement and feeling is much better, others seem to notice how much I have improved more than me, I helped my dog deliver 5 puppies 2 weeks ago, that was a challenge and a half as it was her first litter and she had NO idea wot was going on, my partner since Feb 08, has continued his wonderful, love support and patience,whilst raising his 2 yo and 3 yo, 4 days per week, life is hectic but I am coping, I still worry a bit about another stroke, but would sometimes hope it would finish me as sometimes being a survivor can get the better of you, however I continue to keep on keeping on

• 2 weeks later...

Hello all; Just thought I would let you know what wen't on at the Doctors office they sayed every thing was good excep my sugar was up more than it should be just they wont it to stayaround 100 and they said it was around 175 i thought it was ok their dont know mush about this topic .SO I GESS IM GOING TO HAVE COURSE ON THIS ONE . OK now the bad news the doctors our going to do some test on my nerverending on the right leg an foot to see why it is getting to where i cant walk on the foot or leg or get on my mike that is in my liveingroom . They won

t start on doing the test un tell around JANUARY 13 . WILL let you know what they say ok .

God bless you all . Love JO

I probly would'a answered this sooner...but I was computerless for a month ;p

For some reason, I always feel guilty when I can say that I've fully recovered. Though I still worry about another stroke, since the cause of my first one still lingers. It's a certain kind of heart flutter... I did have a "surgery" (more of a procedure, though) to fix it. But apparently my heart has found a way around the 'wall', and so now I get the flutters again. But hopefully the Warfarin will work, and I won't have to worry about it.

I try not to think of the statistic quoted me for what I went through. Also for them finding two aneurisms in my brain. Knowing they want to check the current prognosis on those vs the bleeding I am doing anyway. Knowledge is not always empowering.... :unsure:

I am 3yrs 9 mnths post stroke and I am still improving. I opened a jar by myself last week and can do the zip up on my jacket. I have also recently started eating with a knife and fork again. What a pleasure being able to cut my own food! I do still get extremely tired, but not as bad as at first. My walking has improved in that I have beaten the knee hyper-extension but now my toes curl under, so I need to work on that.

Well for me the big thing in this year was getting into a canoe and actually paddling. The small thing was being able to wiggle my toes, this was extemely interesting since I am 2 years 6 months out and I know I wasn't working on neuroplasticity for my toes. Still looking for total recovery even if it takes me 10 years. The main problem as I see it is getting the hand back. I am feeling positive about recovery but the continuing fatigue is rather tiring.

Dean

congratulations on your canoe ride. Yesterday was my 2 year anniversary. I am now getting movement back in my toes. As for my hand, I am slowly adding skills I can do. Such as typing this reply with both hands and only having to correct occasionally. It is important to watch for the small increments of recovery. I still consider my recovery my full time job. I walk caneless, and have increased my treadmill speed but still need improvement in my actual walking with ease. I too am looking for ttotal recovery. It sure is a lot of work.

Archived