A View of the future through a small window

It was on the day of Wednesday 5th November 2008 It was like looking in the window of the future, I have mentioned this briefly on another topic.

I was sitting in the lounge room with a cup of coffee and a small cigar (yes I still have one now and then maybe once a month one of the small pleasures thats left to me in life) I was watching a documentary on the fury seals down in South Australia I was relaxed and enjoying the show, then out of the blue I felt this strange sensation in my head it was like a small balloon blowing up no pain no warning it just happened only lasted a matter of seconds I thought S...

I have a blood vessel in my brain about to burst then it was gone I knew what had happened straight away, the carotid artery that was operated on last year and cleaned out had started to build up again and a small piece of fatty tissue had come loose and gone to my brain befor i was able to do anything else my right arm went dead the same as my right thigh it was as if there was a ton weight sitting on my arm no way known could i move that arm I knew I had to phone the ambulance and the phone was on the desk just 10 feet in front of me you have no idea how hard it is to make a manual wheelchair go in a straight line (except for those unfortunate enough to be in one) I lifted my right arm with my left and dropped it over onto the right wheel why i do not know just made things worse jamming it against the wheel I finally got to the phone and called the ambulance seemed like eternity but was only a matter of minutes I suppose when you think you are going to die everything slows down, I was lucky the ambulance only took about 10 minutes to arrive anyway a few moments later was laying in intensive care in hospital by this time my arm and thigh had started to return to normal feeling they did the normal scans and xrays and the outcome was I had a TIA there had been a small bit of fatty tissue go to my brain and partly blocked an artery but luckily it moved on and was given medication to dissolve the clot. Later that day my doctor came and sat on the bottom of my bed and told me how lucky i was as if the clot had stayed any longer were it stopped the blood vessel would have burst I know a lot of you have had that happen to yourselves and know the outcome of such an event, then he said it was only a matter of time before it will happen again and most likely with a different outcome, eg. laying in a nursing home or worse. I know this doctor quite well Dr Toombes and admire him for his honesty and straight forwardness. I was allowed home the next day.

It was a strange experience it was like i was looking through a small window into the future and i truly believe that was so.

Allan

PS

I now know what many of you have gone through and my heart goes out to you.

Allan,

I'm so sorry to hear of the latest experience you have had. You've been through so much and yet your spirits and attitude remain positive.

None of us know what the future has in store for us. You don't want to give in or up as the doctors do not no everything - even the good ones.

As you have survived so much and continue forging ahead, I'd say that your time is not nearly finished yet. I'm not a fortune teller nor a prophet. Be sure though to let those close to you know daily how much they mean to you.

We're all on borrowed time in some capacity. We think the world of you dear friend.

(((hugs)))

Dear Allan,

There seems to be no end to what you have been and are still going through, I am so sorry! Whatever it might be, the Lord is keeping you with us for a reason. Donna is so right, we should always tell those close to us how much we love them , none of us have any guarantees for tomorrow. You are an inspiration to all of us here, with everything you have been through and to still have such a good attitude, that in itself shows what a strong person you are! Don't let this get you down! Keep Hope and Faith. Again, like Donna said even the good doctors aren't fortune tellers....only The Great Physician is really in charge! Take care my friend and let us know how you are doing!......big hugs...........Joy

Gidday mate, sorry to read about your experience, Yes you do not know what the future lies ahead ? But you can make the most of it now- best of luck, hope all goes well, Cheers Phil. :D

allan, i am so sorry to hear of your latest experience. as much as you have been through, you are a hero in so many ways. i admire your strength and fortitude to carry on. may god bless and keep you here with us for a long time to come. i know your family feels the same way too. and keep the phone closer to you or get a cell phone to keep on you at all times. all of us mother hens will now be worried about you. LOL. be safe and well allan.

Dear Allan,

From the description you gave of what happened on November 5th, gives me the impression that you are a strong and determined individual. It is a gift you have displayed to share with others. That takes strength. I'm truly glad that you are still with us, and like Kimmie said " may God bless and keep you here with us for a long time to come."

Sincerely, Jerry

Allan, as caregiver to Ray who has strokes, Tias, fits and seizures I guess the future looks like that to us sometimes too. It is a fact of life we live with. I guess like a cancer survivor or anyone who is under a death sentence at some undetermined time in the future you somehow learn to live with it.

In the words of Ray; "Best of luck mate." and in my words; "So far, so good".

(((Hugs))) from Sue.

Sorry to hear of your news, but, I am soooo glad you are home again and doing better. Like Phil said we have to make the most of our time, and see our cup as half full. As caregiver to Dave he has been having tia's as well lately, his neuro has told him the same thing as yours.

I thank you for being strong and positive minded as hard as that might be at times. :) You are an inspiration to me.

hugs Anne

Allan, so sorry this happened to you on top of everything else. Don't give up the fight. You are very strong and I know you'll get through this. Keep the faith. All the best to you. You are in my thoughts and prayers.

Marie-Claire

Allan ~

It was sad to hear of what you had to go through on this last bout, but thank God you are

still with us! Your Dr. sounds like a very compassionate guy...God had His angels watching

over you...

Like others mentioned you may consider getting a cell phone or phone closer to you.

But you made it on your own. It was good to hear your story. Thanks ~ I believe

there's a time for us all to live or die. I'm so thankful it was not your time to go. You

are an inspiration to us all Allan!

Take care my friend ~ Nancy

:friends:My dear friend: I am so blessed as we hold hands together on our journey. You are a special part of all our lives here at Strokenet. You help make it what it is today and with your sharing yourself with us, you are helping others. Thank you for that. God Bless and know he is carrying you in his arms. Love n Hugs, Jan

Believe In Miracles and SOAR :friends:

hi allan,

like kimmie said...cluck, cluck, cluck...this mother hen, along with all your others want you to get a

cell phone and keep it with you at all times. i am so sorry to hear of yet another hospital and medical issue...i am glad at least you got your monthly cigar in!

your doctor sounds like a good man and one that knows you well. we can really only catch a glimmer of what we think our future will be...you are a person of great strength and of positive attitude and a inspiration to us all. wishing you the best and hope you will stop by chat soon! :friends: big hugs to you! kathy

Archived