PFO Closures? Good, bad or other experiences?

Karenlee4

I recently had a stroke and the only "definite" cause is a PFO with ASA. My neurologist is insistent that I get the PFO closure and I have met with the cardiologist. To be honest I am scared to death of going through heart surgery. If you have had the PFO closure surgery would you be willing to share your experience? If it was a piece of cake, that's great I'd like to hear that. However if it was horrible and you wish you'd never had it done, I value that input as well, because the cardiologist assures me it's nothing to worry about.

Thanks for listening and sharing.

Karen

Dear Karen,

Please listen to your doctors....my uncle was having mini strokes and they found the PFO to be the problem...he opted not to have the surgery and died of a massive stroke less than a year later. He was at my sisters house at the time doing yardwork for her, my aunt called me and told me something was terribly wrong with him. I told her to call an ambulance and my son and I got there in about 3 minutes. I did CPR on him, ambulance came, but to no avail...he was on coumadin as an alternative. He threw a clot so big he was dead before he hit the ground. It was one of the hardest things I've ever done and I was an ICU nurse for 25 years. They have been doing these surgeries for many years and are very succesful as a general rule......your doctor can give you the statistics. Best of luck and I will keep you in my prayers! God Bless!...........Joy

karen:

I did PFO closure in 2004 after massive stroke my PFO closure was done by catherization procedure & was piece of cake. I was in hospital for a day only it was only 10 min procedure. I wish they had detected earlier we could have avoided this bloody stroke thingy. but anyhow if you are still worried don't hesitate to PM me. please go ahead & do it my operation was done in 2004. & I am living quite normal & active life since then

Asha

Hi Karen,

I had a stroke 4/07 and my only stroke risk was the PFO. I was really scared too when I was facing it. I had not been to a doctor in years before the stroke and I just did not want to be in the hospital at all. I had the PFO closure 6/07. It is a heart cath procedure where they do everything through the veins that go from your groin to your heart. It was over quick and I was in the hospital for a day afterwards. I needed to stay in bed for a few days afterwards but it may be because I have balance issues and at that time I was still having migraines. My migraines did get much better after the surgery but I was still having headaches for a a few months. Now I have very few migraines only once in awhile. I was having 2-3 a week prior to the stroke and everyday after the stroke. So this surgery helped eliminate a stroke risk and knocked out the most severe migraines. 6 months later I swallowed the microphone again (TEE) I everything looked good so I guess it did what it was supposed to do. Every surgery has risks. That is why they make you sign your life away :rolleyes: However this surgery compared to open heart surgery is relatively minor.

Hope this helps. Let us know how it works out for you.

~Lisa

Hi, Karen:

I've not had the closure (due to issues with the location of my PFO), but everyone I've encountered who's had it done said it was a very easy procedure. I'd do it in a minute if I could. I'm sick of Coumadin--losing handfuls of hair and bruising all the time.

The catheterization method is simple and non-invasive. Please don't be afraid! You'll be in good hands at Methodist, and you'll probably feel better than you have in a long, long time. Being brave is half the battle, but I think you can do it!

Here's something to think about. Which is worse: the fear of the surgery or the fear of having another stroke(s)?

I hope others will share their success stories with you as well.

The other Karen from Minnesota

hi karen

im kelly i had my pfo closed in aug 2006 it is a peice of cake no pain and alot less fear of another stroke.i say go for it and then you can tell us it was a peice of cake.i was 37 when i had my stroke (june 13-05) i had a knee surgery 10 days before my stroke, i developed a clot in my leg i aslo went home with no blood thinners.i received the clot buster pta and it reveresed my stroke in minutes.i was very lucky i have no deficites.i do suffer from ptsd and depression which is better now with medication.i say getter done girl.

take care kelly aka shakeyleg.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest jeennifer

I had mine done in Feb. The only advice i would give is ask to be sedated, i didnt know i would be awake and had an anxiety attack during with complicated things a bit. Good news though, I was able to FINALLY quit taking that darned coumadin in August! Totally worth it if you ask me. They still dont know if its a definite fix but it's a piece of mind thing.

• 4 weeks later...

Thank you ALL so much for your replies. I am currently signed up for the Respect Trial.

http://www.amplatzer.com/us/Respect/patient_information.html

I guess I want to see if I can help Medical science prove the case for closure!

I will find out next week if I am randomized for the devise or the control group! I will let you know what happens - maybe others will be in a similar situation.

Thank you for your encouragement!

Happy New Year!

Hi Karen, my pfo was one of many contributors to my stroke, I've been advised not to have it closed yet, however my sister also was diagnosed with a hole in the heart after my stroke hers was different to mine but was closed in Oct, piece of cake she said, and is feeling so much better, he heart was 3 times normal size due to it's extra work caused by the hole, she now has far more energy and doesn't suffer as much fatigue, not the same as yours but similar, thought I'd share anyway

Take care Kris

• 4 weeks later...

Hello!

Just wanted to follow-up that I was chosen for the closure as part of the respect trial with AGA. I had the closure done on 1/23/09. So far I feel great. I have tiny incision scars and almost no bruising. I have no pain of any kind. I am on PLavix and aspirin post-op. Thank you all for your words of encourangement and support. That helped a lot to promote my decision to join the clinical trial. If anyone has questions about the closure, I can tell you how mine went. I had mind done a Methodist and the satff there was exellent. I honestly don't remember a thing about the procedure, but I requested to be heavily sedated!

Blessing to you all.

Keep in touch any time

Karen

Archived