cold weather

CagedBird

Is it just me or does anyone else have really bad pain in the affected limbs when its cold? My knee has been locking up, my arm locks up, my shoulder is very tense, and my fingers are so stiff that my nails stab into my closed hand. I hate the cold! Anyone know any remedies for this discomfort? (besides staying out of the cold)

sorry you live in a cold climate and are affected by the winter weather. I am glad that when I was in my 20's I moved out west, first in So. Calif. but have lived in Arizona since 1978. Arizona can get cold at night too but I stay inside then. On chilly days I always bundle up - mittens and all. I don't care what others think - as my Dr. says my job is to take care of me. I'm still trying to learn that ! Good Luck and stay warm. Leah

Hiya, I cannot tell you directly because we dont have extreme cold here in oz, but could it be arthritis, even when it is abit chilly my knee aches,I asked the doc & he said the ol' arthritis can do that. Hoped this can help. :Good-Luck:

Hi Caged......

I live in Wisconsin and the last couple of weeks Winter has really set in......

Snow and ice, too....

This week we seem to be slated for 10 to teens for the low, and 20 something for the highs the rest of the week.....

Wind chill factor is kinda nasty, too...

Guess I'm lucky.....I do get a little stiffer it seems on my affected leg, and only little twinges of pain in my knees...

Maybe that's Father Time catching up, 'cause it's both knees....

And yeah, the right arm gets a bit more useless....kinda lose my flexibility....

but not to the degree you're having.....

I've also noticed...it seems to take longer to warm up to normal again....

You might have a talk with your Doc.....

The only remedy I've ever found for the cold is extra layers of clothing or avoiding it....

Hot tea or coffee after you are out of the cold helps.....

I've found in past years that I seem to make a "cold adjustment" part way into the season, where I seemed to adapt somewhat...

This year is my first Winter post stroke...had my stroke end of December last year, and didn't leave the hospital until early February....I had done the adjustment by then last year prior stroke........

This year seems to be taking longer....

Hang in there....it's just started

Hi again

I know what you mean about the cold. I don't have any real solutions, except to stay as warm as you can, by clothing, heating, blankets, etc.

And sorry to contradict you Phil, even in Sydney,it's cold enough in winter for me to "freeze"/stiffen up, especially when outside watching son's soccer match.

Maybe I should move back to the tropics. But even then, after a couple of years 26oC (???oF) was cold :cold: LOL

I'd wish a fast end to your winter but that woul mean an end to my summer :( & just can't quite do that.

Stay warm

The bad part is winter has not even started yet. I am in NC. The cold gets to me because I walk around campus all day long. It is warm in my apartment but my room is the biggest with 2 windows and 1 vent so its usually more chilly in here. my pain management doctor is book until february. maybe i will migrate to Arizona for the winter lol

hi katrina,

when dressing for your trecks around campus be sure to layer. polar tech fleece in very warm, i wear mittens of fleece when it is cold....i also have flannel lined jean. i always wear two pairs of socks. the great thing about wearing layers is you can just peal down to what is comfy in the classroom. always wear a hat...forget your hairdo...most of our body heat is lost via our heads. cheers! kathy

Hi Katrina......

Wisconsin here....

Just a little follow up.......

When I went to the grocery this morning it was 13 Deg F outside.....with the wind chill effective 6 degrees less....

#@%!^ Wisconsin......

I paid more attention to my affects.....

The arm did stiffen up more than I was aware, and got pretty tight...By the time I got home the knees were yelping....<G>.....

In the past, I guess I was paying attention to the cold itself more......

And man....the wind in the parking lot......It wasn't really windy, but what there was cut like a knife....

Kathy is right.....layer up.....I had an insulated vest under my coat, and a dorky knit cap on, pulled down over my ears....

I wear a TED sock on my brace leg, so the brace doesn't chafe against bare skin.....

TEDS have a little hole in front, and it just so worked out my big toe was sticking out....

Extra sock on the TED leg/foot next time....<G>....

When yer feet get cold, everything gets cold....

I'm reminded of football games in cold weather....sometimes you can see the players heads "steaming" in the chill.....

So....hats are a must.....

You're right.....Arizona *does* sound good about now....

Hi Katrina

Like Phill said in Australia it does not get that cold, just the same on winters nights or cold days it does affect me making the pain worse especially with the extremities glad i do not have to many of them :) Just rug up and try to keep warm make sure you have a pair of electric slippers to pop on when it gets cold wish i could use them :) they do not make them to fit me :)

Allan

HI there Katrina

I fully empathise with your struggle with pain and the cold weather I to feel this well actually living in SCOTLAND one has to become aclimatised lol joking aside its a serious matter, as I can get effected and the pain become hard to manage. The colder weather effects our joints effected from stroke almost the same as arthritic pain. :unsure:

What I always find helps to eleviate pain is to wear two pairs of socks and also try leather gloves or mittens. I have on occasion bought these little hand warmers heat pads that are like gel and can be placed in your glove to help regulate the heat. But sometimes due to my bad dystonic muscle spasms I have needed to wear a synthetic hand splint to keep my fingers open and this can be worm under my gloves. A heat pack that can be heated in micro also a short step to helping pain, and I relly believe that physical hand exercises from ot/ physio that we can do ourselves really helps me as I always feel that it helps get the blood circulation flowing to normal. I often wear extra layers to keep warm

Katrina,

Kathy's idea about wearing layers is perfect as well as wearing a hat. As I have difficulty one-handed negotiating a knit hat, my coat has a hood that I can pull up if I'm outside too long.

Last winter was my first winter being back in PA in 13 years. Fortunately temp and snow wise the winter was mild. This year I think is going to make up for it unfortunately.

I even do the layered look inside the house as well. My left hand and foot, this time of year, is always ice cold. I wear socks to bed as well as I cannot fall asleep if my feet are cold. I can feel the cold radiating off the foot and hand. I spend a lot of time with my left hand ticked into the sleeve of the sweatshirt I am wearing as well.

You're not alone dear. Wish I could afford to be a snow bird and head to a warmer climate this time of year.

Cagedbird:

Take me to Arizona with you. We are actually looking to either move out there or get a mobile home out there and do the snowbird thing. My husband has RA and I am sure it would not hurt him either. What I do know is we are down to 17 degrees and the over night low was single digits. I cannot bloom where I am planted when its freezing out here. I am a Colorado native and I would miss the Mountains but This is way painful!

Thanks so much everyone. I thought this only happend to me! I actually met a stroke survivor of 2 strokes. She was complaining about the cold weather also. her coping method is to carry blankets and wear layers. Luckily, I am now back at home for winter break so no more walking to class and freezing in my apartment because of cold natured inconsiderate roommates who blast the a/c when its freezing outside! I think I am going to start wearing gloves to warm the left hand and get a bigger coat. Everyone always says "your hand is so cold!". It helps to wear the long men socks to warm my leg and keep the brace from irritating the skin. One good thing has come from this. Atleast now I know not to travel up north for grad school!

Hi Katrina ~

We live in North Idaho by the canadain border & yes my effected limbs and hands

get effected. So what I do is like someone mentioned wear flannel lined skirts & jeands.

You can get them @ LLBean. I have to wear skirts b/cause my brace can't fit over

pants. It got -8 last night but going through just losing a daughter (21) about your

age I think I havent been in a frame of mind to even think of the weather but know

I'm in more pain as you said. I would get to another doc if you could. I know I had to

take more pain meds b/c of the cold. I also warm up rice bags in the microwave and put them

on the joints that hurt or get a massage. My therpaist has a warm table as she is massaging

me. Hope I could be some help. How's school going for you. I commend you for sticking

it out and trudging on. My daughter is going to graduate this THurs. from Boise State w/

honors. After her sister passed away she had to go back & take her finals as did Amy's

boyfriend, Kevein... Thank you so much for your prayers....This close family on this

site & support system means so much to us all....What would we all do w/out one another.

It's more than keys being typed & faces , there's a spirit that joins us all....Love you

Katrina & proud of you,,,Hows your papa doing? Love you & God Bless... :friends: Nancy

Nancy It was -17 degrees on my outdoor thermometer this am. That is COLD and I hurt so bad. We just take it one day at a time in these record breaking lows. What else can we do. Gentle Hugs to you Our Grandaughter turned 19 the day after Thanksgiving. She is having a baby She graduated with honors and had a scholarship I hope that she is able to get through the morning sickess and remain in school. It was a real shock to find out we are going to be great grandparents. Sending you gentle hugs and need to let you know your in our prayers daily . Hugs Karen

HELLO well iv been this way for two day its bad when you have a drop foot .Me an randy went in to town over the weekend an dont know if it was the rain our what . But all i know is i was slugish the hole weekend . but i didn't let it get to me to where i had to use my whelchair. I walk the ho weekend .And when it is cold i know i steffen up all over. the bones are telling me ok we ant going to do what U WON'T . SO I DON.T DO MUCH THAT DAY :Clap-Hands: .I KNOW I DIDN'T CLEAN HOUSE TODAY :Clap-Hands: I will get it done some time this week . :)

I also have central pain.... Pain all the time anyway but somehow Arizona really made a definite difference. For one thing, where I was is at sea level. Another is no cold at all. I still had pain but there was a difference. My pain comes from the damage to the brain. Oh well it is so much better than not knowing that I was even alive. God is so GOOD! Karen

I don't have pain related to stroke issues. But I still despise the cold! I only weigh 80 lbs (36.5kg), and have practically no "natural insulation"... aka, fat!

Layering clothes helps a lot. I have wool long-johns, undershirt, sport bra (which is basically a tank top), regular shirt, sweat shirt, and then a jacket. By then, I'm hardly able to move around, but at least I'm warm! I also got wool socks, cuz cotton ones don't keep my feet warm at all. My toes get tingly, then I limp even worse!

Also got wool "glomits" (gloves with the fingers cut off, then 'mitten' flaps, so I can still do things with my fingers if I need to) from a Cabela's...sport/outdoor store. For only being $15, they're wonderful quality! Also got one of those hats with the ear flaps... I look absolutely ridiculous, but at least my ears don't throb!

hi kaTRINA I SURE KNOW WHAT ITS LIKE DUE 2 THE COLD RIGHT NOW WEARE IN THE MIDDLE OF A SNOW STORM THEY SAY EXPECT 3/6 INCHES OF IT IM HERE UNDER 2 HEATED BLANKETS 14 OUT SIDE NOW I DO KNOW MY LEFT HAND SINCE IM ALWAYS CUTTING MY SELF WITH MY NAILS I FOUNS OUT THAT PUTTING GLOVES ON AR A NO NO CAUSE FINGERS WILL NOT PERMITT IT SO I JUST PUT A CLEAN WHITE SOCK OVER MY HAND AND THAT KEEPS IT WARM AS WELL ASPREVENTING ME FROM CUTTING MY SELF WITH MY FINGER NAILS I DONT GIVE A HOOT WHAT OTHERS SAY BOUT HAVING A SOCK ON MY HAND BUT WILL TELL U 1 THING ITS WARM AND BUNDLED UP SO 2 SAY HECK IT WORKS 4 ME .

BESSY :big_grin:

Stu

Hi it is 12.55am and is comfortable 75F or 23.9c

Allan :)

Thanks for sharing :cold:

No cruise this winter, thinking Feb 2010 for two weeks, Caribbean, Mexico, Hawaii. :dribble:

So for now I'll just tough through it.

If you want to checkout where I live here's a trailer the city made up for tourism.

http://technorati.com/videos/youtube.com%2...v%3DUHbLdyTQY9c

Winnipeg from a Hot Air Balloon (Summer)

http://technorati.com/videos/youtube.com%2...v%3DjzzeikxVDPg

Archived