What do you do to your time

gramma

I am on dissability because of my stroke and vasculitis so there is a lot of time to occupy during the day. I do word search puzzles, read, try to crochet. What are some other things I can do. I can not drive so I am also stuck at home, I get bored being on the computer every day, all day. I watch tv, mostly court shows and talk shows. What others things can I do to try and not be so bored. I would love some suggestions. I just wish I could hop in the car and take off, anywhere.

Diane,

For me, I keep busing during the day with volunteering here on site. I also do chores around the house that I can do. I read and listen to music all day. If you are able to get out of the house for bits of time, perhaps a walk in your neighborhood. Where I'm at (Pittsburgh, PA) we have a service for medical and non-medical transportation. If there is something such as that in your area (I googled on the internet to find it here) you could possibly get out of the house and go to library or the mall.

As you do babysit, depending on the age(s) you could work out projects to work on with them during the time you are together. Especially for the holidays.

I'm in Texas we, wife, grand daughter and me, can come where you are and visit your family, just kidding to make you smile. On the serious side do your exercises in the am, again in the pm, sit down work on your medical file like getting all your meds written down, dates you started/stopped them, and doctors visits so you have a complete record. That takes time and can't be done in one day.

Track your questions you plan on asking your doctor on your next visit, write them down. Include all the days, times and pains, happenings you experienced since your last visit. All that is helpful for a successful doctor's visit.

Plan your day with all the constructive things need doing, in my case I never finish. So seems like I don't have enough time in the day. Now that I'm not working I kiss my wife goodbye in the mornings then before I realize it, she is walking in the door at 4pm, Half the stuff I planned to do didn't get done, so my days are full of things I need to do and I never get to the garage or the patio to straighten them out.

That's my "honey do list" like Tuesday I never left my bedroom still didn't get finished doing all the stuff I planned. I keep the TV on but don't watch much unless I hear something that catch my attention, at that point I take a break which could last for an hour or so. Then it's time for some more exercise and the day is gone.

I'm saving gas cause I haven't drove any place since Monday. Wish I had better ideas. BTW, i'LL LOOK FORWARD TO MAYBE A SURPRISED INVITE TO YOUR YEAR-END WEDDING. :o

hi gramma:

I used to get veru bored at home, but now I have started complaing to hubby. not a time to clean closet or other non essential cleaning in my eyes. for me my walking outside & biking take solid 3 hours of my time, volunteering on this site and reading books also keeps me entertained. I also spend time learning new things at our nearby community college or in the library.

Asha

I enjoy doing things on my computer like writing responses to a few of the questions asked on StokeNet not that i have a lot of knowledge on matters i just pick out the easy ones :) and another big interest for me is photographic work on my computer i literally have thousands of graphics pics i have taken over the past 10 years i also like to restore old photos people bring to me if friends i do not charge but for strangers or should say customers i charge a small fee just to keep expenses down a little. i get a lot of enjoyment out of seeing somebodies expression when they see a badly affected photo i have restored especially if it is a loved one or a person that has passed away. You need patience a lot of it and Time as it take a lot of time to restore old and badly damaged photos sometimes i can spend two days about 10 hours restoring one photo and only charge about A$30 so I'm not going to get rich just enjoy doing it . I'm going to buy a large format printer and scanner so i can restore large photos EG. wedding photos.

It might be something for you to look into, just do easy things first like making personal calenders and greeting cards and if you need help just PM me I would be happy to help.

Beast of luck with whatever you decide to do

Allan

PS

Like you i can't drive and stuck at home most of the time but doing the photos i get to meet some interesting people that come to bring there photos

Hi Diane......

I guess I'm lucky.....

I had three interests that I couldn't really attend to BS (before stroke).......

Gemstones and jewelry, Natural Perfumery, and Ancient Coins......

Now the jewelry thing is iffy, cause mostly it takes two hands, but I'm continuing my gem education....

Occasionally I pick up a pliers or tool and see where I'm at....

Natural Perfumery.....well....I can open little bottles of essentials, so I've got a couple projects brewing....

One of the ways you clean ancient (i.e. Roman) coins is to soak in olive oil.....check 'em once in a while, do up with a toothbrush, and plunk back in.....

Plus computer time.....I belong to a Natural Perfumery and a Jewelry mail list, in addition to Strokenet......

Just picked up a digital camera.....That'll take some time to learn.....

Then I can shoot pics of the gems, jewelry and coins.....

Funny thing is....I just kinda bumped into these interests serendipitous.....

On top of all that, there's the daily existence....doing stuff just takes longer.....

Anything you've ever really been interested in, but never had a chance to check out.....?

Maybe make a list and start by internet exploration, and see if you get a hit.....

For a while I was updating my kid interest in dinosaurs (archosaurs) and was doing it online.....

My old buddy the brontosaurus has been renamed for some reason apatasaurus !!!

Hope this can help.......

BTW....watched the court shows for a while......but after a while, the same old......

OTOH......one of the richer folks in TV land is Judge Judy.......<G>......

Hi Gramma,

On of the things I do is try to relearn what I have lost, due to the stroke. Now is a good time to do this and it helps our recovering.

Like you I spend time on the computer, usually playing games the help stimulate my mind and make me think about has to be done.

I do the chores around the house and some cooking as well as a little practice at driving again when I get driven.

There are a lot of thing you can do the make your days more exciting, you just have to find something that grabs your interest. :)

Annmarie

hi diane,

i never thought i could fill my days with me not having a job but time seems to fly by. some of the things i do is check out store coupons...whats on sale and what coupons are on the internet and organize the grocery shopping list for my hubby. i love wild birds and spend time watching my bird feeders and birdbath, i don't drive much but i took a class with a neighbor...she drove and i chipped in for gas. we tried drawing and watercolor......i read, play computer games, stay in touch with friends, walk a bit each day, help with house chores, play with my two cats and dog, i sew a bit and have lunch with my daughter and grandson every tuesday. nothing too exciting.......check out your local bus company and find out where you can go. most sr centers have pick up service and have all sorts of activities going on. hope this helps some..kathy

I've become fascinated by google earth.

with it I can explore places, not just in my locality, but all over the world.

Take a few tutorials, follow the tips of the day.

very user- friendly software.

Read the annotations, add some yourself and learn more about our world.

I've become fascinated by google earth.

with it I can explore places, not just in my locality, but all over the world.

Take a few tutorials, follow the tips of the day.

very user- friendly software.

Read the annotations, add some yourself and learn more about our world.

what a super idea! i am going to check the site out...thanks kathy

• 4 weeks later...

i can rea,lly relate 2 what u are going threw diane i do spend a great deal of my day playing gamesa on my puter i love word games i found they help me 2think much fasrewr and use common sense i alsp go in2 chat at diff times as well as ya hoo messenger talk some timesoon in chat i hope

BESSY :big_grin:

I learned to appreciate myself more after a stroke 2 years ago. I can enjoy reading more religious books and do mediation. I learned discipline and patience in straighten my bent finger and thumb.by exercising twice a day. I no longer attending theraphy in clinic because of lack of money but at home continue practising the same exercises I learned. My muscles are weak and asleep but I believe through exercises I can wake them up progressively. I believe you all can progress or better than I am.

dianne, looks like you got some good ideas. with me its my computer, i am on it all day since i volunteer here too. i also do chores around the house that i can do, watch tv and catch up on reading my monthly magazines i get. try to join in a chat to meet other members and have some fun. girlfriends will keep you busy. i love history so im always looking up things out there on the web. i take surveys too to occupy my time. i'm sure you will find something to do.

I have to type hunt and peck now. I have touble spelling so to post a comment is a mental work out. I have blog I update every day. I lay in bed typing listening to music. Ill sing along. Im on the computer afew hrs between this site and dog sites. Ill get dressed exersize,and go for a walk. I visit a neihbor who I had been training his dogs. its lunch time. I then watch a movie and then draw, try writing and read. Its dinner time my is home and my wfe is home and I manage to bug her and drive her insaine Why be nuts alone.

Guest alice344

My days have three emphasis:

Getting better - doing therapy

Vestibular exercises - they are working

Writing speeches/practicing speeches for Toastmasters

Lee Silverman Method Voice training for my dysarthria - exercises and relaxation stuff

Tai Chi and QiGong Classes through our local parks department - fellow students pick me up..it is huge in aiding my balance and breathing. And the students in the class are so super

Joined a health club up the street - got a able bodied friend to be my twice a week workout buddy - I do the treadmill holding on and she gets a good workout...I was able to join in a way that she can go for free if she takes me - I belong to 24 hour Fitness and have an executive membership for $40 a month..Got to know more new friends

Fighting depression -

as an extrovert, I need LOTS of social contact to keep from getting blue and have to recruit people to help out - people want to help but don't know what do to - I give them opportunties to help:

First, Put all my contacts/addresses on Yahoo address- 200 people - it was gratifying to see how many people I knew

Wrote a sent a new year's greeting to people on the list telling them I was happy, well and hoped the same for them

Signed up for Plaxo and Linked In

Constantly think of activities I can do with friends and recruiting them via email to pick me up and do it with me- so far we have had:

Pizza Party Fundraiser for Habitat for Humanity

A Partylight Fundraiser (kind of like a tupperware party)

Formed a group of women "Reel Woman" to see movies together on the 2nd Tuesday of the month

Lunch at the local coffee shop - at a location where I could get there by bus

Family care -

My husband fell on the ice last week and broke his foot so I am the housekeeper for the next six weeks. I found I can cook and being forced into this new role, I am finding I can do much more housework stuff than I previously thought possible..OK, I admit...I liked NOT being able to do the damn dishes :-)

By setting up a checklist for all the things my therapist, TaiChi teacher and husband expects me to do, I found that there truly isn't enough time...a Friend also gave me a treadmill to put in my office so I don't have to leave home to work out...I truly don't know how to turn on my TV but I did sign up for Netflix

Hi Dianne, Can you do housework yet? It takes me much longer doing housework now because I take a lot of breaks.So if I do one room everyday between breaks, that alone occupies my time plus I love reading so I go to library a couple of times a month. So during my many breaks, its what I do. Also I enjoy cooking and besides cooking my meals I would love to do some baking but neither one of us needs the extra calories so I stick to the meals. Depending on what I am cooking sometimes I take breaks then also. Good luck to you in finding something to occupy your time. Just sit and think when you were working, what did you say to yourself? If I didn't have to work I could do this or that, and give it a try before thinking I can't do that because...Sometimes its ok to do something without thinking of consequences. I was young when I had my stroke so it was easier to do things without thinking, if I walk the several blocks to the supermarket will I be too tired to come back. I did these things and yes sometimes I was too tired to come back but I did it because I had no other way to come back. I was exausted when I came back so what? I took a nap but I was so proud of myself for doing it. Do you have grandkids? Try spending more time with them, the days will pass so quickly. I hope this helped a little. Take care

mc

im still in2 playing word games onmy puter everty chance i get i love it word games are my all time fave boggle flip words as well as a fewon ya hoo messenger games i play threw out the day light hours or if i should get boared 1 never knows when il get that b oreing fdeeling course im neverboared on steroke chat i do flip dlop back and fourth a lot here there every where lol

BESSY :big_grin:

Archived