My confession

I have to be honest and tell the truth about myself otherwise i could not keep posting here on strokenet.

Before my stroke i was not a believer in religion i was bought up to believe in it but had strayed from its path many years ago, since my stroke I have had time to reflect on many things in my life and the one that stands out the most is my attitude to-wards religion, i do not go to church but in my own way i pray to god and on many occasions and i believe it is one of the ways "no not one of the ways but the most important" part of myself being able to cope with life after stroke and adversities it brings, just a couple of years ago i could not think i would ever put this to words but I find it so easy to say it now and most of it has to do with all of you here on StrokeNet, I'm just so sorry it took me so long to realize it.

My love and prayers to you all

Allan

Allan,

I guess I'm the first comment to your topic so let me say I'm proud of you my man and in my own way my path was somewhat like yours. I grew up in church, Baptist, even sung in the choir if you can believe that, Sunday school, church and back for evening worship every Sunday. Raised by my mother with religious teachings.

Then somehow and someway I got away from it to explore the world coupled with 22 years in the military. Long story short, for the last 10 years now I've been in the same church along with my wife so my life is nothing short of amazing for what I have achieved.

Now my attention is given to God cause he has certainly blessed me my whole life and yo survive Vietnam and now a brain bleed stroke. I will remain in my faith no matter from now until... so that's my confession and I'm so happy you have made yours right here with all of us. I wish and pray all the best in your recovery from down under sir.

Hopefully soon I will get a chance to visit you, sue and others on your grounds. Maybe we can go out back and watch the animal life as long as you'll do the driving. Driving there on the opposite side of the roadway scares me.

BTW, it's better late than never giving yourself to God in my opinion, tomorrow is not promised!!

Allan,

As Fred stated, it's better late than never to give yourself to God. I was baptized Catholic but was not raised attending church consistently. Prior to stroke I did attend regularly with my daughter. Post I have not for various reasons but I do pray here at home and look to HIM for guidance in all that I do. I feel blessed to be able to be here on this earth being given another chance at life.

I am also blessed to have you here as a dear friend. God Bless.

Dear Allan,

My dad's brother spent many years doing "his own thing" ... far away from the family and God. I will always remember Grandpa's words...Bring up a child in the way he should go ... and when he is old he will not stray from it. Grandpa had a great faith that he had trained his son in the way he should go..And when Uncle George was old, he DID follow that way. Yes, there were years when he strayed but when you stop to think that our life here is less than a blink of time in eternity, we all have a lot of time to enjoy a relationship wth God that we can't even imagine.

So Allan, just remember those years you spent living life for you are over and the rest of your life has only begun!

Warmly,

Ann

Allan ~

All I can say with loosing Amy @ 21 w/ out faith & knowing she's safe in the arms

of Jesus we would all be having a much harder time. But she lived a full life in 21 yrs

"fOREVER 21" WAS her favorits clothing store. God gave us to her as a gift to raise

and our days are numbered here on earth. She lived a testimony for Jesus. She never said

a bad thing about anyone, never carried a grudge, friends to all in the high & low places.

Did yo u read the site my husband put up for her for her obituary web site Its'

bonnersferryfuneralhome.com wrote in tears. SAhe was his baby, sat on his lap since 17.

Always said Dad your my main man till I find the right boy to Marry. Well she found him

then this freak accident happenced. Her time was done in this tmeporary life. My husband does

not attend a church either. but his believe is strong. Praise be to GOd. We have one another...

If you have any questions God knows your heart Alllan. I love you so much....You've been

through alot to. So take care of yourself my boy. May the Father above bless you and fill

you with His peace that passes ALL understanding....Love your friend ~ Nancy

All great illustrations of 'the prodigal son'. God gave us free will for a reason. He wants us to make the decision for ourselves. And I can picture him dancing with joy when we do. And for some of us, it takes a real kick in the butt to get our attention.

I don't know how I would have gotten through the first year without Him. I love God and Jesus with all my heart.

Vi

Without Jesus in my life there is no way I could have lived through all I have and still have Joy. Learning to trust in Jesus was easy for me I was a PK. For those who do not know that is a Preachers Kid. But I have 9 surgeries and the strokes and make that 10 surgeries I went off our ATV and tore out my knee cap broke the tibia fibia at the cusp of the knee and I have Hardware you would not believe to hold it all together Donor bone and artificial bone and plates you name it. I do not know what those without faith do. I am so blessed . So very Blessed loved and cared for every step of the way. Some days I may not of know who I was or my family was . Most important is I always knew and will always know WHOSE I am. Love Karen

Allan:

I come from complete different religion background. though I think of myself as not religious person but spiritual person. I believe in God & everybody calls him differently in my mind. I strongly believe having faith & doing right things in our life is only thing would matter to God. I am glad he is in control here.

Asha

Hiya Allan...

Baptized and confirmed Catholic.......

Sort of fell out of touch with the Church in my late teens (late 60's)....

Still believe in a God...a higher power if you would...

What having a stroke changed for me:

The goodness in people, or should I say....me perceiving it....

And it's not just folks who observe the after effects, cane and limp, one hand/arm goofy....

Folks I deal with on the phone, folks I deal with on line,....

Once you pick it up, you can kind of set up a two way channel, so it feeds and grows...and I think they kind feel it too, and it makes both yer days...

Now, I'm not Pollyanna enough to forget there are *bad* folks out there...or just plain indifferent folks.......

Those folks best just be left alone..they have their own little purgatory they're existing in......

And I've only been at this for about a year...

I suppose things coud change, but I'd like to think not....

Archived