Cavernous Malformation as a Senior Adult

Cathren

[/font]

In May of "07, I had a hemorrhagic stroke from a cavernous malformation. My balance, swallowing, speech, eyesight, and motor skills (due to numbness on my left side) were affected. Initially I made tremendous progress. After a second bleed a month later, the numbness gradually increased, I developed difficulty with swallowing again, and my speech declined considerably.

Because the locatipn of the malformation in my brainstem makes it inoperable, my neurosurgeon said that I would experience ups and downs. A year and a half after my stroke, I have improved in some areas, but declined in others.

Surgery has corrected my vision and botox injections in my vocal cords has improved my speech. I am able to walk without assistance, but must do daily therapy at home to maintain my balance, improve motor skills and articulation.

I have limited endurance. and it seems to take longer and longer to recover from a tiresome day. Because I live alone and am unable to drive yet, I depend on others for medical appointments, groceries, and my most necessary errands. Although I have several books on stroke recovery, I am looking forward to being apart of this web sight to exchange with others who share this challenging experience.

Hi Cathren, welcome to StrokeNet. So sorry you had the need to do so. As you have noticed yourself, recovery never stops though it does slow down after a while. You have come to the right place for support as we all have our experience to share. We know first hand what recovery is as we have or are living it every day. In my case, I have been a survivor for 24 years now and I still see progress every once in a while. Good luck in your own recovery. We welcome your questions and your own experiences as there is a good chance a member is living or has lived what you are going through. Thank you for posting your intro and I hope you continue to post so we can get to know you. Also, please join us in chat sometime. The chat schedule and the way to our chatroom is under the stroke support tab. See you soon,

mc

Hi Cathren,

Welcome to our corner of cyberspace. Sorry you had the need to find us but so glad that you did. All of our lives have been affected one way or another by stroke. We are not experts but able to share our various experiences and acquired knowledge as well as support and encouragement.

Now that you have joined, know that you are not alone on your journey.

Look forward to getting to know you.

Hi Cathren,

Welcome to StrokeNet.

You have found a special place to be, there are lots of stroke survivors and carers here, really nice people. As I have found you will also the people on this site will offer all the help they can whether it is a friendly hand to hold or a shoulder to lean on, they will offer there advice as they have walked the same steps as you. Sorry you had to find us but I'm glad you did, hope to meet you in chat when you are ready it will be nice to chat with you.

Best wishes

Allan

Hello, I had brain surgery for a cavernous malformation in the brainstem at age 54, almost 7 years ago. It resulted in a stroke. I am confined to a wheelchair. My speech is better after speech therapy, but I still have double vision and no balance, thus the w/chair. I wish you well. If you have any questions that I might help you with, I will check back here often. Take care, Lay

Dear Cathren,

Welcome to StrokeNet! You will find a great deal of info here and many great people! I look forward to hearing from you again soon. I will keep you in my prayers. God Bless you............Joy

hi cathren,

welcome to strokenet.

I am a 46 yr old teacher from India, mother of two children, a 20 yr old girl and a 10 yr old boy.

my stroke was 5 yrs ago I only survived because of an emergency craniotomy.

I am paralysed on my left side, but am able to walk even though balance is still an issue.

recovery and rehab are hard work, so stay motivated and regain as much as you can.

good luck with your recovery

anna

Welcome, welcome, welcome. this is a fantastic place to share any sorrows, problems, progress, and anything you want. I had a brainstem stroke 2-1/2 yrs ago and miraculously have done well. I have limited use of my left leg and use a walker most of the time. I have done tons of rehab, both in-patient and out-patient, much at home. I think without the rehab and prayer I wouldn't be as good as I am. I tire very easy and every chore is just that..a chore. Patience is hard but I have learned that I must give time time. And I try always to think of the glass as half-full not half-empty

Try the chat room some time - it is great and fun too. I just left the chat room - they were talking about how your holidat has changed post-stroke which is a bunch for me.

God bless you Cathern.

Leah

Welcome Cathren,

I had a bleed too on the right side, left side weak and like you, have ups and downs. More downs lately but I'm coping pretty well. Mostly my walking and undue pains everywhere it seems. I got other issues like arthritis, fibromyalgia, knees, vertigo and a host of small problems.

By the time I arrived at the second hospital my bleed had stopped so no operation for me but a head full of blood showed on the MRI. I remained hospitalized for 4 months then released unable to walk. Today I drive, was working, and ride my scooter for distances, so I'm not complaining at all. Just having a second chance at a longer life with reasonable health and abilities is good by me. "If I could just shake these pains."

I walk with a quad cane get home care three days a week and I'm 67 years young. I've had about every kind of treatments available or what I could afford with insurance so I'm happy to be how I am, it could be worse. I pray a lot and God answers prayers is my belief.

May God bless and keep you as well and a speedy recovery to you my friend.

hi cathren and welcome to our great place. all of us are here to help you down the recovery road. we all have our experiences to share with you. be it good or bad. i'm sorry stroke entered your life too, everything happens for a reason, so now we learn to live our lives differently but we are still here walking(kinda) this earth. its is good that you are improving. recovery is a lifelong journey now and it does slow down but we can NEVER GIVE UP HOPE.we have to keep fighting the good fight. try and join is in a chat sometime to meet others and discuss whatever you need to talk about. life does continue after a stroke just in a different way now. take care and keep updating us on how you are doing.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived