local Stroke Support groups

I am coming up on my 2 year anniversary. I am finding it more difficult to accept that I have a disabliity. In the last two years, I have lost 3 jobs and maybe soon, the 4th. My family and friends keep telling me that I need to file for SSDI, but I feel that my boss should be more contentious of both what I have gone through and my accomplishments that have followed. I have been debating on dropping by my local support group, but I don't want to hear others tell me about "how lucky I am to be able to work" . I am fairly young to have experienced a stroke. I am nervous to find out if there will be folks there that are my age, that have experienced a stroke too. I love listening to my elders, especially those who want to teach me helpful information for my future, however, I would like to be understood too. Any advice???

Hey, Honda:

I would check the local hospitals to see if they have any support groups exclusively for young survivors, especially since you live in a larger metropolitan area. (Around here, most of our groups are geared toward seniors and always seem to be held during work hours. I'm a young survivor, too, and really only found StrokeNet to be the best support system for younger survivors.) You may also want to look for a grief support group (that's what I ended up doing because it was geared toward younger people dealing with losses of all kinds) or just a plain survivors' support group.

Sorry to hear about your work stress. The doctors sure don't prepare you for dealing with work issues, do they? Do you and your boss get along well enough or have a decent enough relationship to sit and talk about your feelings and your work performance? Would it even help your situation? Is there an HR person who might be able to mediate? If you don't think it will get better, maybe SSDI is the way to go, at least for a little while. I'm sure others here could offer some good advice on SSDI and maybe even how to deal with workplace disability discrimination.

Wish I could be of more help.

My thoughts are with you,

Karen

by all means look at every option out there honda jobs come jobs go u just have 2 find 1 that suits u and u like of course its a doggie dog world out thedre in the work place goos luck with what ever direction u decide u go in ig grin like i usually do at the end of each and every 1 of mt posts course this may be 1 of my last post 4 some time good luck in what ever any of u wish 2 do in your lifes later all

BESSY :big_grin:

I"m sorry that you have lost your jobs, there maybe discrimination issues here, but also liability issues as well for your safety &well-being,also they have to protect themselves. Sorry to sound so complex, I am gradually going back to work like 2-3 hours a week depending on my condition in which they said they will assess me with my doc to see if it is safe to do so for both of us at the end of the month. Maybe (depending on your condition) you should say to yourself Im I ready for this, listen to your body, and the experts to help you as Karen explained. IT has been 17 months for me ,Im nowhere near it ,just have to be patient & my body will tell me. Im 47 & reckon I have still alot to offer. Good luck with your recovery remember these things take a little time & we are here always to help you with advice. Keep your chin up & rock on. :party:

Honda,

I would think just the opposite of you, I found it more acceptable that I had a disability when I had to use a scooter to get around during my first couple years. I applied for various jobs I thought I could do effectively and was turned down. One of which another lady was already employed in a power wheelchair and had been for quite a while. That's what made me apply for that job, checking Id's at the door.

Then I rode into walmart they said yes, no problem, same job except it's called a people greeter at the door. That has been three years this year. You didn't mention what kinds of jobs you lost and your ability to perform them.

I would stake my life on it that if you went into walmart in Portland you would be hired. Okay, maybe with the economy like it is and your area, that may not be the case, but not because of your ability or disability.

I will join your family and friends telling you to apply for SSDI you are entitled to get even if you need a lawyer to help get it. Bosses do pretty much what they want to do in their companies, most can hire or fire as they please without cause.

Accept your disability if you have trouble walking, talking or any affects of a stroke. If you can get out and about you are doing great especially if you can drive too. Have no fear we all got disabilities but it's not the end of our lives.

I have more benefits. Being a veteran too, my drivers license, fishing license, and parking at the Airport is all free, while my license plates on my car is only 3.00 bucks.

I wouldn't consider myself or you lucky to be able to work, we are blessed in my opinion our conditions allowed us to be able to work. We are survivors! If you find a local support group they will probably have just a few people attend on a regular basis, the young people may not attend, they recover a lot faster than older survivors does.

I was attending a local group when I discovered this online support group and I'm still here, haven't been to the other meetings for years now. It was sponsored by the hospital I stayed in for 4 months.

I wish you the best in what ever decision you make.

I attended a stroke support group meeting when I was 17 and I had my stroke when I was 12. Everyone there was old enough to be my parents and grandparents but we all had 1 thing in common and that was we had a stroke. I was actually the only one there who could only use 1 hand and there was a few of us who did not use a cane or wheelchair. Even though we could not relate with the same exact struggles, we could still understand in a special kind of way. I would encourage you to attend a meeting. Maybe they can help find an easier job for you or suggest accomodations to be made on your current job so that you can complete your work just as efficiently as everyone else.

As you said that you like to listen to older people, go ahead and go. Like CagedBird also said, even if you're different in age or abilities, the whole point of the group is that everybody understands to some extent.

I didn't join any group, when I had my stroke. Didn't think I needed it, as I was fully recovered a week later. Plus, my husband (ex, now) would have been condescending about it anyway, and convince me I was over-reacting (as I supposedly did for everything).

Now that I'm on my own, I joined online ones. I myself don't need support, I actually joined to GIVE support!

I'm a bit of a hermit, and I hate going out of the house unless I really need to... grocery shopping, doctor appointments, and I've only been to church about half a dozen times last year. Finally got a friend who understands my limitations and bad health, so I've been bolder and go to her house once a week...of course, I spend a night or two, because I don't want to drive back and forth and waste time and/or gas with commuting the whole 8 miles between us! LOL.

The good thing about an online support group (other than the fact you don't have to leave the house), is you can be there any time you want, and not be restricted by a certain day and time.

Do both, if you want!

Good luck, and best wishes!

Hi Honda D,

Any kind of support group is good, I Think, because you get in touch with folks who probably share a lot of the same issues you do....

On-lines have the 24/7 aspect....and maybe depend how comfortable you are with a computer.....

Local support groups have ya meeting people face to face....

Either scenario can work.....

Thank you all for your advice. I went ahead and called the coordinator of the local stroke support group. I figure I have nothing to lose and everything to gain...what the heck, I'll give it a shot.

• 2 weeks later...

A stroke support group where we meet once a month has been important in my recovery. I enjoy talking to and listening to other survivors. I've also made some new friendships and we do have some social functions, especially in the summer.

Let us know how it goes for you.

Hi Dave,

I was 30 years old when stroke got me. I was not ready to sit at home and look at my belly button for the rest of my life. I went back to work a few months after I came out of rehab. I was still doing physio therapy as an out-patient so I decided to go back to work part-time at first. During my off hours I joined a stroke support group. Yes, they were the over 50 crowd but I stayed anyways because it was very informative plus I was the baby of the group and people were very nice to me. When I went back to work, I found there was some discrimination, I did the best job I could, kept my nose clean, after a while people got used to having me around and saw that I wasn't taking advantage of my disability and I ended up going back full time about 6 months later. I worked for 20 years after my stroke. Thank goodness I had a desk job. I took an early retirement at age 50 because of a burn-out. I think I should have looked at taking a disability pension before it got to me burning out but what is done is done and I am proud of myself for holding on so long. Sorry for ranting on. In Canada, there are laws against discrimination so I was protected. I hope you find a job that you can enjoy and do well and if that is not possible, yes I would go for the disability pension. I hope my long story didn't bore you and did help a bit. Good luck to you my friend. You will be in my thoughts, take care,

mc

Hi there my friend, Just look how far you have come on your journey. You are a Stroke Survivor. That says a lot. For me, it has been the toughest job I have ever had. Just take things a day at a time, some days it will have to be a second at a time. I am a Brain Stem Stroke Survivor, five years now, wow, there were days I thought I would never get there. What a feeling to look over my journey. I have a form of Muscular Dystrophy and I had to go out on disability in 1988. I had an awesome job that I just loved working for Hughes Aircraft, we were with NASA, I hated giving that position I had worked so hard for go, however, I knew I could no longer do my job. I found out about ACCESS and they provided me an Attorney to represent me when I had to go before the Admin. Law Judge and we won right then and there on the spot. My Attorney's fee was free. I was not charged one cent. That was such a blessing from God let me tell you. Through the years, I have had other health problems that I just report ..... I have to recertify yearly for my disability status. My Attorney came all the way from Florida and he was such an awesome person. I had to keep logs/journals which I still do to this day.

I looked through my files and here are a few links that I had and maybe they could help you.

Answers to 15 Questions about SS Benefits :

http://www.disabilityfacts.com/faqs.html

Social Security Website on Disability :

http://www.ssa.gov/disability/

I will keep you in my prayers and send you positive energy.

You are never alone in this journey, we are here for you.

Keep the HOPE alive .. .Believe In Miracles and SOAR

Hugs,

Jan

• 3 weeks later...

Yes Honda Daddy, stroke support groups are a great help. People just like ourselves attend. I helped start a stroke support group , sponsored by the Hospital I was in. I also attendthree other groups here where I live.

I suggest you contact the hospital or hospitals in your area. They should be able to tell you if any exist in your area.

I really reccomend you join a support group. We learn so much from one another. We all have similar problems and others may have tried omething that will work for you.

Archived