do you ever forget about your stroke

Coming up on my 8 year stroke anniversary, sometimes I actually forget that I am living with stroke. I cant hardly remember what it was like to be without stroke. I was in 6th grade before I had my stroke and now I am almost a junior in college. I guess after a while stroke just becomes apart of you. Do you just get used to doing things with the effects of your stroke? My brain just automatically knows how to do things with one hand now so it doesnt bother me. I never see people who look like me so for the longest I though that I walked with no limp and a straightend arm just as them. Plus I can not see on my left side so when my arm is bent, I can't tell. Are any of you in your stage of recovery that you no longer have any effects of stroke and forgot about it? Or has anyone just gotten used to it and its become apart of you that you don't really notice?

katrina, i think some people may feel that way. for me i am reminded everyday of my stroke, i wish it would melt away and maybe it will with more time. i too know i can only do things with 1 arm/hand but i will never forget about it until i am back to my prestroke status, then maybe i can. if that is to be. today 1-5 is my 7year anniversary. congrats to you on yours coming up. i wish you many more years and hopefully we both will not think of stroke anymore as times passes. you have your whole life in front of you yet. enjoy what is yet to come with a career. marriage and kids. you are very blessed to be here at all. god has plans for you.

I no longer am obsessed with stroke and reading and researching everything about it. There was a time after my stroke that all I did was research about it on the internet (up to six months after the stroke). Today, 20 months later, I no longer think about it constantly. I am busy every day with the new grandson, volunteering, exercising, some new hobbies, and etc.

Your photo on your most recent blog is absolutely stunning. You have so much to live for. Take advantage of the gift of each new day.

Happy new year!

Stessie

Hi Katrina.

I have moved on after my initial stroke but with many complications after I'm reminded daily of it, I try hard to put it in the past but i think it will be with me forever not that I'm not enjoying my life, I have many good friends here on Strokenet ( my Saviour ) and a good family helping me daily so really I'm doing quite well and look forward to the future more so than i did not so long ago.

Allan

Hi Katrina, I am 24 years post stroke. I never even think of it anymore except when I'm on StrokeNet. People around me forget also that I am physically challenged. I am so used to doing things with one hand. I don't even remember what its like to have 2 except if I am doing something I'm not used to doing or more difficult. You will get to that stage also. With acceptance, you will get used to your new normal and almost forget it ever happened. All the best to you,

mc

Well, since I'm fully recovered, I don't have constant reminders (except logging onto this site! LOL). However, my heart and back problems are the reminder that I'm not normal. Just today, I got bit by the "cleaning bug", and finally got to work with washing dishes that have been piling up all week. Barely got done with them, by the time my back was practically exploding with cramps. Actually, I never did start up the dish washer, cuz I rushed off to bed for a nap! :lol:

Wanted to go ice fishing tomorrow, but the trail my friends chose, is way too steep for me to climb up... and I know if I tried, my poor heart would be pounding and fluttering before I might get even halfway. Oh well, I'll just wait 'til we go somewhere flat! LOL

H Katrina.....

Sometimes I almost forget....

Once in a great while, I do something new with my affected side, not thinking about it......

Course it always reminds me again.....<G>.....

I can't forget about it since I was much older than you were when it happened to me. I think these days I'm just used to it and the paralysis so it doesn't bother me, I just deal with it as best I can.

Hopefully, as long as I'm able to drive and ride my scooter I'll continue to deal with it. :scooter:

katrina,

nope...i never forget. when i get up in the morning i don't go to my job...that is a big reminder. then there is the constant exhaustion and daily pain. so, i feel i am always aware of my stroke. kathy

KATRINA SOMETIME IT VERY EASY AND SOMETIME, IT HARD I HAD MY HEMORAGE 7Y AGO WHICH CAUSE SOME DAMAGE AND MY RIGHTSIDE THALMUS AREA SO THESE PEN AND NEEDLE AND BURNING, YES DRIVE ME CRAZY SOMETIMES, BUT I LISTEN TO SOME OR THE POSTING, IN SEE SOME PEOPLE GOING THRU, SOME OR THE THING I DO OR EVEN WORSER, IT LET ME NO THAT I AM NOT ALONE, AND SAY TO MYSELF IT COULD BE WORSER, GOD BLESS.

I will never forget It has changed how I look at everything, how I do everything,how I now live life to the fullest you never know what will happen next! I do serious rehab twice a week right now and am gaining more use of the left side but its still stubborn but I will get there ! push,push,push.

I am now five years post stroke and I am constantly reminded of the fact that I had a stroke. My right side is partial paralyzed and I have aphasia. I have to concentrate on every word I say, on every step I take, on every word I read, etc. But that is not to say I regret having a stroke. The stroke brought me closer to my wife and my children, I

I AM 1 1/2 YEARS POST-STROKE, THE ONLY TIME I FORGET ABOUT IT IS WHEN I'M TOTALLY ABSORBED IN SOMETHING, MOST OFTEN A BOOK. I HAVE AN ARM AND LEG THAT ARE USELESS, SO WHEN I'M DOING SOMETHING I KNOW I'M NOT DOING IT LIKE I USED TO. I LOVE TO READ, I THINK IT'S LIKE AN ESCAPE FROM REALITY. TOO BAD REALITY'S NOT BETTER. BARBIE

• 5 weeks later...

Ah caged Bird we all live with the effects of our strokes for the rest of our lives. IM coming up on my 3rd anniversary of my stroke which will occur May 5, 2009.

I now walk with a cane, limp badly, and have troubles with my right arm . But I still work hard at exercising and stengthening myself. I Don't care how I look. It's the fact that I can get around that overjoys me.

Just keep working at it. We recover a little every day. Some day we will be almost back to where we were pre stroke. Our recovery never stops. It's a continuing factor in our lives.

I personally thank God for sparing my life and giving me another chance. We need to spread the hope we all feel among our fellow survivors and their families.

I don't "dwell" on it like I once did. It is what it is. It is a reminder daily, however. The scars from the two trechs, the scars across my stomach from the feeding tube and the three surgeries I had to have due to the damage from it, The scar from August to fix some of the damage they did from 03, the scar down my chest from the bypass, It is hard to put it past me when I see all this daily. Having to use my wheelchair is a constant reminder and the cane and walker. I try to stay in the here and now and remain positive but the biggest heartache is seeing my Blazer sitting in the driveway. That was my "Baby" and now I see my hubby driving her. Not being able to drive is such a reminder of the damage from that beast, Brain Stem Stroke. When I take my shower having to use the shower chair is a constant reminder. Having to wear Big Girl Pull Ups is another. Not being able to put my shoes and socks on, do things I used to do ..... dress myself. I am greatful I am not in the coma anymore ... that was tough on the hubby, and not being 100% paralyzed anymore, but, I miss not being able to do for myself. I keep the HOPE alive. I've had a rough week, so, maybe when I am feeling better, things might look a little brighter. Take care and God Bless, Hugs, Jan

Stessie, I like you, did searches and tried to empower myself with as much info as I could once I was home and up to being on the computer. It took a looooooooooooooooooooooooooong time but when I could, I did.

Believe In Miracles And SOAR

• 2 weeks later...
Guest thewizard336

On the 28th of this month it will have been 15 years since my stroke. At the time I was 27 years old. Most of those years I was severly depressed and angry but within the last several years I have come to a point where I don't really think about it at all. There are times when I am very aware of my self and the effect of the stroke.

I thinnk most if not all stroke survivors reach this point of not necessarily forgeting the stroke but get to a point of acceptance to where they don't dwell on it.

"Life's a journey, Not a destination."

~Aerosmith~

Hey Wizard....Lets look at the wondeful lyrics !!!!

I kept the right ones out

And let the wrong ones in

Had an angel of mercy to see me through all my sins

There were times in my life

When I was goin' insane

Tryin' to walk through

The pain

When I lost my grip

And I hit the floor

Yeah,I thought I could leave but couldn't get out the door

I was so sick and tired

Of livin' a lie

I was wishin that I

Would die

[Chorus:]

It's Amazing

With the blink of an eye you finally see the light

It's Amazing

When the moment arrives that you know you'll be alright

It's Amazing

And I'm sayin' a prayer for the desperate hearts tonight

That one last shot's a Permanent Vacation

And how high can you fly with broken wings?

Life's a journey not a destination

And I just can't tell just what tomorrow brings

You have to learn to crawl

Before you learn to walk

But I just couldn't listen to all that righteous talk, oh yeah

I was out on the street,

Just tryin' to survive

Scratchin' to stay

• 2 weeks later...

KATRINA,

SO GLAD TO HEAR THAT YOU'RE MOVING RIGHT ALONG WITH YOUR COLLEGE STUDIES. :cocktail: I'M VERY PROUD OF YOU. I THINK THAT ONCE YOU'VE HAD A STROKE IT AFFECTS YOU AND YOUR FAMILY AND FRIENDS FOR QUITE SOME TIME. I THINK THAT TIME LESSONS THE STRESS AND EMOTIONS THAT COME ALONG IN THE BEGINNING, BUT THE PHYSICAL AFFECTS FOR SOME NEVER GO AWAY.

KEEP PUSHING FORWARD KATRINA!! :Clap-Hands: YOU'RE DOING A GREAT JOB!!! :friends:

• 4 weeks later...

That is full recovery! Congratulations! When we see ourselves as just being a little aloof and stop saying "I am this way because..." thats when we have truly found acceptance. I cant wait for that day!

At times I feel like anyone else but then something happens, something that reminds me that my brain is different. I lose something or forget to do something. Its unfortunate but luckily I get to play the "stroke card!"

Archived