talking in a low tone

Since my stroke the tone of my voice has gone down so much that I'm asked to repeat all the time because I can't be heard. I thought I read a post on here about that. I was surprised it even had a name. I can't remember the name of that ailment or where I saw the post. I thought I read the person had some kind of therapy for that. It is more important than ever that I try to fix that problem as my b/f is hard of hearing and he thinks I talk low on purpose.Can someone steer me to that post again. Thank you for your help.

mc

Marie it's called dysarthia and the post you're referring to was in treatments and therapies. A speech therapist would treat you. The weakness begins down in your diaphragm. The muscle is too weak too forcefully push air through your vocal chords and make a loud sound. Having a wimpy little girly voice is frustrating isn't it? I hear ya.

Thank you Maria you are so knowledgable. Yes I hate my voice. I am not taken seriously when I need to be firm. For example taking back faulty merchandise or taking my car to the garage. When in a group I hardly ever participate in a discussion because people talk over me as if I'm not there. I will look after this as I never thought It was something that could be worked on. Thank you so much.

mc

I had Dysphasgia when i had my stroke, my voice now sounds abit croaky as if I've just had a case of Laringitis(spelt right?) , Ive also had episodes of asperating gasping for air. So when does youre voice return to normal. Good topic Marie.

I've often thought I don't have the same umph to my voice after my stroke, but it isn't as noticable as it is for some. I can still get loud when I need, but my normal speaking voice doesn't carry like it used to. Yes, I agree this is a good topic.

Phil,

In addition to dysarthia, I also won the prize of dysphagia. The dysphagia I have is oropharyngeal which basically means it effects my mouth, pharynx down in to my esophogus, in a nutshell the entire swallowing process. Normally you swallow your saliva as a reflex, with this you don't do that. I had to retrain my brain to make it a habit to swallow again. If I am off beatand forget to swallow I will have a coughing episode which is difficult to recover from. I imagine if you have any post nasal drip or thick mucus going down your trachea it also would be very difficult to clear. Dysarthia and dyphagia are two different things. If your problem leans more toward your throat it probably is closer to dyphagia.

That may be more what I have. I have difficulty swallowing as well . That or maybe both. Let me explain.... We did not have health insurance at the time of this stroke so they did what was absolutely necessary to save me. But I could not get alot of theraty. Just what was available in patient. After that I have struggled on my own. I am still nearly two years later trying to get Medicaid or Medicare I finally got SSI Finally Its a long story for which I may need an attorney to sort it all out. I did not do that yet because I got very depressed and was having some really negative thinkingl I cannot understand all spoken words to me All in all I dont know anyone who would not get deppresed in my shoes while they bail out the crooks in high management our citizens are dying due to inability to pay I cannot buy insurance at any price. Anyway to make a short story long I dont know for sure All I know is I have difficulty expressing and talking and swallowing and cognitively and in short I have little similarity in prestroke and post stoke ability. I cannot write my own name. Over time the computer is my ability to communicate well

Karen

Hi Folks......

Funny thing.....before my stroke folks always said I had a loud speaking voice....

On the phone they said I sounded 6'2" wearing cowboy boots....

I'm 5'10".....<G>.....

Now my voice seems to have retreated to a more "normal"level....

Go figure.....

My voice was the same way. My mom has a squeaky voice too though so I did not make a big deal. I just figured my self esteem got lower after having the stroke, losing my hair, and losing my friends at the age of 12, then i figured my hearing got better since my vision got worse so i didnt realize that I was the only one who could hear myself talking in a whisper. lastly, since I stayed at home for 2 years so i could not go to school, i figured i just got used to using my inside voice. no one could hear me when i started school though and everyone would pick on me saying my voice is so squeaky and i sound like a baby. people wouldnt even take me serious when i would try to yell and it would hurt my cheast to try to push out the words loudly. but then one day i just started talking louder. Now my theory is that my self esteem got higher and I started socializing more but people still say I have a soft voice and I still sound stupid when I yell.

Good topic. Thanks.

Pre stroke, I had a good singing voice, now I feel so sorry for the people who sit in front in me at Church. Bless their Souls. Especially if the song we are singing is one of the favorites, I just let it rip :roflmao:

I have a real raspy "Demi Moore" tone to my voice now. If only I had her body to go with the voice. :roflmao:

I have problems with swallowing, however, it's hard to deciper if it is from my Brain Stem Stroke or my MG. A lot of symptoms are very similar.

I am blessed I am a voice because there was a time they didn't think I would ever speak again, so I will take what I am left with. I stay greatful for that.

Take care and be blessed.

Belive In Miracles And SOAR.

Hugs, Jan

• 3 weeks later...

It has been almost two years since my stroke and my voice still hasn't returned to normal. But it has gotten better as time goes by. I would recommend singing as it appears to help my voice (it's strength) and besides I get paid not to sing by anyone who happens to be at home.

rick

Archived