Stroke and Winter Weather

bstockman

Hi All,

I live in the Pacific North West. We don't usually get very much snow, and it is normally gone in a few days. Do any of you have any tips or how you get around in the snow and winter weather?

Bonnie, Getting around in the snow if you dress warmly, in layers is not too difficult but when you have a few milder days where everything melts and then frreezes up,thats where it gets dangerous. In that case, I try to stay in unless there is a need to go out. I have a pick at the end of my cane to help me walk on icy surfaces. If you can have someone assist you, holding on to someone's arm is even better. If you drive, getting to your car is the worse, then you need to drive extra carefully, especially you americans who are not used to the snow. You need to drive defensively. Don't drive fast and don't trust other drivers, they probably don't have much experience in the snow either. Make sure you have good tires on your car before venturing out in that weather. Well thats my 2 cents, I hope it helps

from a canuk,

mc

What Marie said about layering is correct, also make sure you've got good warm boots and mitts.

As for driving, drive according to the road conditions. If it's slippery slow down, "have good tires", don't worry about your driving as it's the other guy you have to worry about.

If it's -25 or colder and snowing like crazy, and you don't really have to go pickup that part or food item stay home.

One other thing, always carry an emergency winter survival kit in the cars trunk.

I'm not sure if you can buy them down south, will find out what's in one and post the contents. You could make up your own.

Winter Survival Kit Checklist

Many people each winter find themselves stranded on the roadside. If you had been driving on a main road or highway, this may not be a big deal, but each year, people die because they leave their vehicle in search of assistance. Hypothermia is serious and is easily preventable with preparation and a good survival kit. To prepare a good survival kit, consider the following:

Body Shelter

Large garbage bags

Duct tape

Space blankets

Sleeping bags

Warm clothing

Heavy-duty work gloves

Heat

Candle

Matches (waterproof / wooden)

Lighter

Heat source

I live in northern ohio and our winters our not on the mild side. I think knowing the weather conditions and using good judgement can keep most people out of trouble. Most people.... You still have a few that makes the tow companies happy. :) The snow is easy the ice is another story. My drive to work consists of alot of township roads (very small country roads) and not well plowed or maintained. This year no one is putting any salt down. Maybe the ecomomy is hitting the smaller communities. Makes the drive interesting.

Why does winter seem to last a little longer then summer?

Terry

I'm like Terry and reside in Ohio. This year we have had more freezing rain than snow...and I'll take snow any day. It has been even more treacherous this year due to road salt being at a minimum. Many of the roads are not being treated.

Stessie

I saw on TV, the salt is in short supply this winter since it's so bad compared to past winters. I'll have to send some north to you all from Texas, we very seldom have need for very much each winter.

good advise all 1st and 4 most be careful outthere not only in the harsh cold but the rain as well here in my state the weathers really going 2 take a nose dive goos list stu u can also ad dur cell phone as well as its charger 2 the list the main thing is use common sence 1st and 4 most

saferTty above all survivals the name of it and every ones well being bad weather can hit any 1 of us like they say get used 2 ur surroundings

if driving be aware of the black ice also make sure ur transportation /car has a spare as well as a jack in case of a flat have a safe 2009 u all

BESSY :big_grin:

Guest lwisman

Stay inside if you can. It is 10 degrees here at the moment in the Chicago area. That is a high. We have had temps this week below zero, with wind chills to -30. Plus we have over a foot of snow. In this kind of weather it is better not to go out unless absolutely necessary. That is even the recommendation for able bodied people.

Our gutters are frozen over which worries me, but there does not seem to be water leaking in (at least not yet). LOL. If you have problems call someone to help you.

Take care.

Lin,

You were one of the many people I thought of here that the weather would definitely affect. I couldn't;t believe what I was seeing and hearing about Chicago, man that's really cold for me.

Then you just got your house finished and this weather will test all the cracks the builders may have missed. I guess the worse the gutters can do is pull lose from the house and roof. With the foot of snow the weight is a factor.

If all else fails, get ready you and your sister to move to central Texas. It won't take you long to get acclimatized.

Bessy,

It's a good idea to buy some snow chains too to have cause at certain points along the interstates, the state troopers will require chains to proceed further otherwise, no chains you gotta turn around or there is some guy setup at that point trying to sell chains for twice the price. This is especially true in California for the high altitudes and passes or summits like Donna pass.

Lin,

You were one of the many people I thought of here that the weather would definitely affect. I couldn't;t believe what I was seeing and hearing about Chicago, man that's really cold for me.

Then you just got your house finished and this weather will test all the cracks the builders may have missed. I guess the worse the gutters can do is pull lose from the house and roof. With the foot of snow the weight is a factor.

If all else fails, get ready you and your sister to move to central Texas. It won't take you long to get acclimatized.

Bessy,

It's a good idea to buy some snow chains too to have cause at certain points along the interstates, the state troopers will require chains to proceed further otherwise, no chains you gotta turn around or there is some guy setup at that point trying to sell chains for twice the price. This is especially true in California for the high altitudes and passes or summits like Donna pass.

A set of four Michellin winter tires are better than chains on ice, chains are mostly used for snow here. And if you have to buy some, don't buy the cheap ones with just the leather strap to tighten them on.

Hi all, just had to add my 5 cents. I live in Detroit. Usually what you see in Chicago and Toledo is the same here. 2 days ago we got 9 inches and it's been lightly snowing ever since. Today the temperture was 9 degrees so everything is frozen. I went out to the mailbox wrapped in layers; started my car and walked back very carefully with my cane to my front door. I'm simply being very, very careful walking in the snow and drive with caution and common sense keeping a lookout for all of those nuts out there who drive extremely fast and those unable to control their vehicles on the ice. Mostly though, I try to stay in if I can or go the day before a storm. <_<

I'm in Ohio and it is frigid. The heating bills are escalating with this type of weather.

Tonight's news indicated all the homeless shelters were full by early evening.

If you have neighbors or relatives who are housebound, it's a good idea to check on them. Some are reluctant to ask for help and there are times when pipes burst and etc. I'll be checking on my elderly mother-in-law on Thursday.

Stessie

Thanks to everyone who replied. I grew up in PA and Ohio.. I have been out here since 1976. This yr we had over 20 inches of snow.. about 61/2 to 7 inches at a time.

I can drive in it. not my favorite thing to do for 2 reasons... LOL they don't use much salt here, and the snow plows .. usually don't go to bare pavement, and are wonderful at making ice on the roads. the 2nd reason,, other drivers are scared to death to drive in it.

I live in a very rural area, and the nearest bus service is several miles up the road... It's the trying to get around on foot... that is the worst, i don't think it is easy for anyone.. everyone slipping and sliding, but extra scarey for us survivors, or CG's trying to get the loved one around.

Well the snow has melted, (still a few little piles here and there) we are back to rain.. And I am hoping the snow is going to stay up in the mountains for the rest of this winter...

thanks again everyone, you are all super,

Bonnie

Winter Survival Kit Checklist
Many people each winter find themselves stranded on the roadside. If you had been driving on a main road or highway, this may not be a big deal, but each year, people die because they leave their vehicle in search of assistance. Hypothermia is serious and is easily preventable with preparation and a good survival kit. To prepare a good survival kit, consider the following:

Body Shelter

Large garbage bags

Duct tape
Space blankets
Sleeping bags
Warm clothing
Heavy-duty work gloves
Heat

Candle
Matches (waterproof / wooden)
Lighter
Heat source