Depression and Mood swings

[/siz

I am waterbabe, am a stroke survivor and have followed it up with 2 TIAs. I had some depression before the stroke but now my emotions and mental state are all over the place. I'm one of the lucky ones I have been able to regain most of the physical deficents caused by the stroke. My lack of balance is the most noticable problem. I keep working on that but have not been able to master that. I can't ride a bicycle even with train wheels. What I would like to find out if anyone else has had problems with not having a stable mental state following a stroke, where they able to find a doctor and what kind to help were they able to get. I was a high fuctioning business woman and a people person with aot of friend and always was able to multifuction with no problems. Now I can not stand two things going on in the same room and I seem to forget how to do things that I've just done. I have being seeing s phsycirist and nothing seems to be working. Please help !!

I'd like to welcome you to the site first, I see this is your first post. I had the same problems even before my stroke. They called it post traumatic stress disorder, nevertheless there are function problems unlike what you are accustom to. My help came from many weeks of therapy for that symptom. I had other doctors prescribe medications that helped me over come the depression stages.

I didn't have mood changes that I remember, if so, the meds took care of it. On the other hand I stayed in the hospital for 4 months compared to other stroke survivors staying a few days to a couple weeks, not months. I was depressed from not being able to walk.

I just didn't want to be confined to a wheelchair after having such an active life for 62 years. I was a pro bowler, owned a bowling pro shop and enjoyed making other bowlers happy with supplying them great equipment to improve their scores.

Still, I came home unable to walk but soon started after more therapy which changed my attitude greatly. I gained more hope for recovery right away and my wife played an important role in my progress.

Try seeing other doctors that deal with depression and mood swings other than your present phsycitrist. I can't name their professions but you know who I mean.

Welcome to the site; we're glad to have you here. Spend some time looking around and getting familiar with it; it's really quite easy. I had my stroke in August 2008, so I'm still fairly new at this. You mentioned a balance issue...welcome to my world! I can walk without any major difficulty, but I still can't find the balance point to ride my bicycle.One might think that someone who had rode a bike 125 miles a week for 4 years would not find that to be too hard to recover. well, I'm here to tell you....it ain't easy; but I won't give up trying!

As for the mood changes; I was an emotional wreck when I came home. My wife had a routine where she would watch The Waltons and Little House on the Prairie every morning. Honestly; I could not sit through an entire episode without breaking into tears. When someone would tell me they were praying for me, or that I was looking real good, I would also cry. At my wife's request, I finally went to see a neurologist and she prescribed Prozac. That seems to have taken care of the tearing up easily issue.

Wesley H.

Welcome

We are so happy you found us. BTW, what part of Ohio do you reside in? I'm from Cincy.

Mood changes are normal. And, your balance issues can improve, especially as though it sounds like you enjoy the water. I, too, have balance issues along with a left leg limp. Those balance issues can strike at any time especially when you least suspect.

Look forward to your posts, and once again, welcome.

Stessie

Thank you for answering my cry for help! I'm so glad that I found this website. It sure is great finding people who understand the problems a stroke can cause. I have spent the evening on the computer and have found some of the meds I have been on shouldn't be taken together. I don't think my Dr. is very familar with stroke patients. I have a call into my neurologist and hope I can see him soon. He took care of me when I had the stroke and TIAs. Now I'm sorry I lived in denial for so long believing if I didn't look like I had had a a stroke it must not have caused anything even though I felt different.

Also about riding the bike has been such an issue thanks for your sharing. After reading what you all have shared I feel very renewed.

Hi Stessie I hail from Canton and I do love the water.

hi waterbabe and welcome to this great site. a stroke can cause our emotions to go wacky at times. i was put on a antidepressant immediately after my stroke and have been on several different ones til i found the right one. i can cry at the drop of a hat but not as bad as i used to do. i get frustrated and angry at times too but it passes. i realize every day how far i have come and also that there are many worse off than i am. i am able to walk with a brace and cane not very gracefully, but i do walk. some days are better than others, i am just happy i am able to wake up to another day at all. i'm sure others will reply to your post too. my advice is do not let things get to you and remember you survived for a reason. live each day the best you can. don't sweat the small stuff. enjoy the life you have now. things do get better with time. i hope things settle down for you very soon. we are who we are now, we can always get better. i'm happy you were able to recover from your deficits. god is helping you along your recovery journey. hang in there. good luck.

Hi waterbabe,

Yes it is hard coming to terms with going from being extremely capable to being very dependent. I joke that the stroke has made me a boy (sorry guys) because I can't multi-task anymore LOL ;)

I too was diagnosed with PTSD, mine post stroke. I was just able to hold my emotions together (save for a couple of times) whilst in hospital but thing just started to get worse at home. Thoughts just kept going round & round in my mind & I'd end up in crying "fits" that would last for an hour or so.

I am seeing a Clinical Psychologist who uses amongst other therapies a technique call EMDR (you might like to Google it) which helps to appropriately process all those errant thoughts & help even out the emotional triggers, etc. No drugs are involved, just a willingness to address the "problem" thoughts. I do understand that some people need drugs to help them cope with emotional issues but I wanted to let you know there are options.

HTH

Hi Debby and welcome to Stroke Network. You have found a terrific place to receive support & encouragement.

Depression following stroke is quite common for survivors and caregivers alike as lives have changed in a split second. I was into my 3rd year post before it hit me. Fortunately I was honest with my doctor (as a matter if fact, I broke down in her office to her and a med student). I was immediately prescribed celexa and have felt much better since then (July '07).

It is important to speak to and be honest with your medical providers - they will not think bad of you.

Look forward to getting to know you.

Welcome to this group of folks who have been through about every thing that's ever

gone through having a stroke. It's a new you & me & takes a long period of time to adjust

to this. Ito tried to ride a 3-wheel bike, when couldn't put it down. I love the water & use to

swim lengths before I had my brain hemorage & stroke on rigtht side. Thankfully little by

little swimming came back although my semi paralized right leg still drags in pool.

I had my hemorage in 12-1-96. Was 46 brougt up 4 children. 2 still live with husband &

I. They are adopted. ! takes alot of work the older 18 is easy going, most of the time has

a smile on his face. 7 wks ago we lost our 21 yr. old in a tragec accident so wer'e still coming

through that. You'll find yourself little by little coming to face the new you....Who has survived

for a reason. Like Allan who has been through so much he still has a very postitive attitude.

He brings joy to us all with his struggles he goes through with a positive attitude. You'll

mke it. Keep puching forwaard with encouragement....We accept you for who you are

with a whole heart! :friends: God bless you & take care of your self. Keep pushng forward,

your body's still healing. it takes time......We love you...Nancy & family

Hi Waterbabe....

Welcome to the Strokenet.....

I dunno what kind of meds you have....I was put on antidepressants from day one....

You feel the loss of going from what you were, to where your at....It sounds like you're doing great physically.....but you haven't returned to your former mental agility...

This I experienced, too....It seems to do stuff right, ya have to focus on the one thing....

The old chew gum and walk task....

I too, find myself sentimental at times, sometimes at the craziest things.....

What's helped me, is not to focus on what I used to be, but where I am since the morning after my stroke....It's a different paradigm, and to me more realistic.....

That gives me a better perspective on the hand I got dealt......

It's been about a year, and just recently noted a *teensy* bit of multitasking ability happening now and again....I still keep a notebook around.....

Keep plugging away.....I'll bet you'll surprise yourself....<G>.....

One other thing.......it *always* seems to take too long......

I was a high fuctioning business woman and a people person with aot of friend and always was able to multifuction with no problems. Now I can not stand two things going on in the same room and I seem to forget how to do things that I've just done. I have being seeing s phsycirist and nothing seems to be working. Please help !!

Me, too! I especially can't stand not being able to multi-task. It's also very difficult to have several things going on at once. It begins to feel like brain-overload. My primary doc suggested my strokes may have affected stimulus centers in the brain so that its hard to process over-stimuli. True or not, just hearing that made me feel better because it meant it wasn't my imagination - these things, "effects" or "deficits" were real.

Like you, I definitely had lots of mood swings and a pretty bad case of depression. After suffering with that much too long, I finally got on appropriate anti-depressant medicine in a dosage that really made a difference. Regular docs often don't prescribe high enough doses but psychiatrists should know.

I hope you're able to find the right docs and the right meds to help.

Good luck!

Hi Debby

As others have said before welcome to this little piece of cyber.

I completely understand the multi tasking aspect I used to be a food and beverage manager and had 100 + staff to look after, now i have problems just looking after myself, as far as emotional stability i have been really lucky but the past month i feel as if it is going to hit me like a ton of bricks falling on me, but only time will tell, as far as having a stable mental outlook a lot of survivors struggle with that, all i can suggest is have a good look around this site to give yourself an insight on what happens or doesn't happen I have found it an invaluable site for information and making quality friendships

All the best

Allan

:friends:Hi Debby: So glad to meet you. You have joined a group who are happy to extend their hand to you and who are happy to share their experience, strength and hope with you. You are not alone, we have all been through stroke one way or another. I am a Brain Stem Stroke Survivor, 2003, I was in a coma and on life support. When out of the coma, was 100 % paralyzed. Here I am in 2009, able to scratch my nose when it is itchy. Simple things mean so much to me. I, like you, was a very vibrant person, always on the go, busy, busy, busy, could do many thing at once. I have had to reinvent my life. I am in a wheelchair and can take baby steps. I can no longer drive my car due to the blindness from the stroke, but I focus on what I still can do. I love this group and I know, in time, you will also. Just take things a second at a time. I know when it happened depression was really bad, I would cry at a drop of a hat. I was told that due to my quad bypass, having your heart on a machine can cause that. Would have been nice if we were told that prior to surgery. I think it was a heart/lung machine. Anyway, I like to stay in the here and now. It is a miracle I am even here and I want to make the most of my second chance in life. Again, I am so happy to meet you.

God Bless and Believe In Miracles And SOAR Hugs, Jan

Hi Debbie

It is good to see you on this site. This a very good place to get spport from people in the same situation.I know what you mean as I too have been suffering from depression following my stroke and was like you a busy multitasking person. I am a senior nurse in England and found that I didnt accept that I wouldnt be quite the same. Although I do not have any physical loss I would wake every day expecting to feel the same as pre stroke and it never happened. This eventually was very tearful time and thought I would never be able to work again. I have been to counselling through work and given a very good book to read by Dr Clair Weeks. I explains all the symptoms of nervous fatigue, anxiousness. It is called Essential Help for your nerves and is written as though is it talking to you. I have found it invauable and now understand why I felt like I did. I did have panic attacks but I know how to deal with the feelings. In a few weeks I have improved a lot and can deal with the strange feelings I get In my head. I do hope you continue with your recovery and keep positive. We have to look at out lives from a different perpective now.Best wishes and God bless you.

Anne : :)

My emotions have been all over the place. Having had the stroke should have been enough, but I had to add hot flashes and other midlife fun into the mix.

I've been on different antidepressants over the years; that and anxiety medication help immeasurably.

You are NOT alone; I'm sure most survivors have similar feelings.

Susan :cold:

Hi Waterbabe

A little more to my previous answer to you

PS

Males have bouts of depression as well, whether they like to admit it or not, nobody is spared it is just a part of being a SURVIVOR.

Allan

Hi Again Waterbabe....

Let me second what Alan just added...

Welcome Waterbabe. i'm sure you will find this and any other stroke groups invaluable with information.

Yes i'm a survivor of almost 3 years now. It will be three years , May 5, since my stroke. Mood swings and depression are a result of stroke. I have always been a mild mannered person, but post stroke found myself flying off the handle regularly. The meds my Doctor prescribed for that helped. Im glad to report it lessens with time. So just hang in there. Things do get lots better. Humor helps a whole lot, don't ever lose your sense of humor.

Talk to us anytime. we all seem to experience the same problems, and some things that worked for us, may be worth a try for you. Don't be afraid to ask.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest electric Heart

I think it's just time. I was completely cut off from my emotional mind until almost a year later, that was the first time I cried about it.

Ally

• ksmith pinned this topic