Vascular Dementia

Hi Everybody.

Most of you know my road to recovery, those that don't a brief description.

Had a Thrombotic Stroke on the 10 Aug 07 a short time later had a heart attack though not massive it did affect my heart, then early '08 lost my legs due to infection after surgery. Then more recently Nov. Dec. '08 had three TIAs plus a slight stroke. and had to have a carotid endarterectomy a second time plus

angioplasty for my heart

In Jan 09, started to get massive headaches and had to have several test done, the Doppler test i had showed a blocked artery in my chest that supplied blood to my right arm . I was quite surprised when i was told a small vein / artery had grown around the blockage and was enough to supply my arm something i did not know could happen, i do not have any BP in that arm and hard to find a pulse. It is so hard trying to put this posting together as my short term memory has got quite bad to were i can only recall things that happened no more than 24 to 36 hours ago and have to rely on notes , diary etc

With the headaches i was told they were caused by small bleeds in my brain thank god they were only small and stopped by themselves. Now I have been told that i have vascular dementia the doctors believe it is the slow developing type and i take medications to slow it down not much different than ones one would take for a Thrombotic Stroke except for a small dose of oxazepam that is normally used for depression but can also be used as in my case to relax muscles and increase the properties of other medications i take. Because I'm on the highest amount of pain killers i can take without going over the threshold of safety.

My biggest problem now is to get a grip on this vascular dementia that is something that worries me more than all else combined that i have gone through since my stroke on 10 Aug 07. I can only hope it can be slowed down as there is no miracle cure for it.

I needed to put a post on this because if it came out in one of the chats that i am in, it would be disruptive for the chat session plus i could not explain it like i have here.

I thank those that helped me through the first couple of days your patience and understanding helped me considerably

Thank you all

Allan

Allan, just take life as it comes. Don't look for problems, deal with them as they come. Vascular dementia is slow developing, Ray's has been anyway, we are three years since diagnosis and he is still here.

Do however make a living will so someone else can take care of your affairs if that is needed.

Enjoy the hosting. I have enjoyed my time doing it.

Sue.

Dear Alllan,

Sue and I both are caregivers to husbands who suffer from vascular dementia. We may have more experience dealing with it than other caregivers here, I am not sure. As Sue said, if you have not done so already, do make a living will if you have not done so already.

My husband has also granted me power of attorney and a health power of attorney. These have proved helpful since he is unable to sign his name, so I can either verify his "X" or sign for him.

I'm not sure what medications you have available there, likely the same as we have here. Bill began his journey taking Aricept, several months later Namenda was added. Last summer his neurologist added a new medication called Cerefolen. Cerefolen is a mega dose of B vitamins and folic acid. The difference it has meant to Bill and me is phenominal. For instance, Bill can watch the news on TV and comment on a story now. This is a phantastic change since last summer he had regressed to being unable to carry on a conversation since he could not comprehend or retain information he heard.

As Sue so wisely put it, don't borrow from tomorrow. Every day there are discoveries about ways to deal with vascular dementia. Bill has travelled this path for three years now. He lost his short term memory as a result of his 10/2004 stroke though. The challenges with dementia showed up about a year or so later.

Live every day to it's fullest. Enjoy chat and all the other contributions you make here. We really value your input!!

Warmly,

Ann

Allan,

Please consider this another speed-bump to maneuver over - which you will. Know that we are hear for you to support, encourage, and provide virtual (((hugs))) as we can't give them to you in person. Wish my arms could stretch that far to Aussie-land.

I just had an idea :Ask: I'll hug on one of my stuffed koala bears and the hug will be for you :D

Take care Mate

We will all be keeping you in our prayers even as I suffer more each day with my left side. I have a lady that comes in 3 days a week now, that's been a big help with my wife working full time.

My brother in law lost his right leg above the knee because of no circulation. I'm giving him a scooter to get to the store around the corner from his house in New Orleans. Otherwise he uses a walker around the house.

Just take care as best you can one day at a time like I do.

Hi Allen, I too wish I could reach out and give you a BIG hug, ( i will hug one of my puppies.. for you..lol) As Sue and Ann said, they are making great stride with medications for memory. After stroke i felt like I had attention deficit disorder.. I played computer games, scrabble, mahjjong ( matching tiles) getting my mind to focus.

Keeping your mind busy and with all your friends here will help a great deal. making notes, using timers.. especially if cooking.. little things you will fnd to be helpful.

Slowing down, and not trying to "multi-task" repeating things in my mind. This is one more bump for you.... and seems like a Big pill to swallow, but you have good friends here, and people who will understand and listen.

you are a geat assett here, Warmly, Bonnie

Hi Allan, Thank you for the update. So sorry you had, yet again, bad news regarding your health. I wish we could do more for you, but know that we are here to support you through this rough patch you are travelling on your road to recovery. Like the others have said "one day at a time" and enjoy everything that you do. Take care Allan, my friend and spoil yourself a little, God knows you deserve it. I am sending you a great big virtual HUG. You are and continue to be in my thoughts and preayers. I, too wish to thank you for the time and effort you give to us through StrokeNet.You are very special to us all and we enjoy spending time with you here. Take care mate and know that we are here for you.

mc

allan,

sue and ann seem to have really good first hand experience and i know they will be great resources for you. like donna and bonnie....if my arms were long enough you would be getting a huge cape cod hug from me too!

take each day as it comes, drink only the finest coffee :) and be good to yourself. remember you are very much cared for and loved by your cyber family. :hug: kathy

Dear Allan

Wow, just what you needed (not). I do greatly admired your attitude to everything that you have faced & I know that you will continue to soldier on :).

Now please stop trying to be a one-stop final exam patient for med students - hopefully you can share the load with others!!!! ;)

All the very best to you mate, you really deserve it.

hey Allan:

another bump in life's journey. I am sending you ton of virtual hugs and also tagging along on Sue& Ann's advice. enjoy every day to fullest and don't borrow worry from tomorrow.

hugs,

Asha

dear allan, i am sorry to hear this latest development of your health. but knowing you and what you have accomplished already through these bumps in the road. i know you will soar through this one too. you definitely are a soldier. like others have said, we are here for you as you have been for so many others. you mean so much to many of us here and you volunteer so much of your time, to make strokenet a better place for all of us. i wish you best through this hurdle and alot of (((((((hugs)))))). take care and feel better. and so what if you forget a few things, it happens to us all, just ask lenny,LOL. just kidding lenny.

Hey there mate,

So sorry to hear the new news. Since I met you in the chatrooms, you have been in my daily thoughts. I think of all the struggling that I go thru each day and then realize that Allen has probably seen and done most of this struggling already and he has made it this far. You are an inspiration to me. I realize that if you can come as far as you have with the disabilities that you have been so unwantingly given, and keep a fairly positive attitude to boot, then I should try to be more like you. As your newly found ailment continues to take its toll on your body, please remember that you have all of us here at Strokenet to lean on. Good luck my friend.

Archived