Recovery

Wesley H.

We

Wow! What a great question. Recovery for me means being able to walk a great deal while on a trip to Italy this coming fall. I have beefed up my exercise even more (includes water therapy) and walking on the treadmill. We will be with several other couples and I don't want anyone to have to wait on me or worry that I can't make it. I want to walk in Rome, Venice, and etc.

Recovery has become part of me. In college courses, way before stroke came long for me, we had class discussions that we are all in recovery from something in our lives. To me recovery works hand in hand with survivorship. I have "survived" many things in my life, including stroke. I'm not done yet either I'm sure. Through Stroke Network I've learned that recovery never ever ends either. With every slight recovery I make, I am farther from that fateful day in January, 2005. I know I'll,never be 100% fully recovered as there will also be a residual affect of it and that's ok - as long as I can strive to be the best I can be.

Full recovery for me would be, yes ride a bike, dance like that 87 year old in my post in off-topic discussion, but I don't kid myself, I don't think I will ever get back that level of discovery. Have I recovered? Yes I have because I had a full career as a public servant until I retired at age 50, I raised my 2 sons jointly with their father. I can drive, I can do my own housework, I am a good cook and I enjoy cooking. I am living a good life ,I am in love again and I am not in a wheelchair so yes life is good and I have a life. What more could I ask for except a little bit of cooperation from my left hand, that would be a huge bonus but yes I have recovered from stroke. :roflmao:

mc :cocktail:

In my case recovery means I can do more today than I could when I first had my stroke. As my recovery continues I can do more and more compared to my first few days as a survivor. My stroke was in January 2005, I went to work full time in May 2006. My continued therapy allowed me to recover enough to drive and do that.

Some can now walk without a walker or cane, I can't do that yet. But in my continued recovery I should be able to at some point. I don't think we will ever return to how we were before our strokes like we never had one.

Recovery to me would pretty much be close to 100%. I am impressed with your recovery at 5 months. I have been working on mine for just over 2 years. I walk without a cane but I still feel it is a hugh struggle. I find myself asking myself hum...when does it start getting easier,begin to feel more natural. I know it looks more natural as folks compliment me on my walking but I don't feel what others are seeing. as for my hand goes I am able to type 7 words per minute at 90% accuracy now. I can get a cup to my mouth but really should not have but a small amount of fluid in the cup unless I want to wear it. It looks to me that science is showing that recovery after stroke can be complete but it is a very long hard road. The hard part is also staying motivated. I have a lot of friends at the stroke center I attend who are happy with limited recovery.

I will be happy when I can sit down & get up from any toilet with out an assist bar all by myself. also being able to get out of bed by myself at night without AFO so I don't have to wake hubby to take me to bathroom. of course I would like my arm but it is low on my list I'm trying to become as proficient with one-handed tasks as possible to be honest st this stage I could care less about a curled hand or limp just NEED to be able to do those things I guess our level of dependence is the drivibg force

Good topic - thanks

Susan

my recovery would be walking without aides, (cane and afo) getting movement and function back in my arm/hand. being able to return to some kind of work. being as close to my prestroke status as possible. that would be heaven for me. i would be farther along in my recovery had i received more therapy. but i am thankful to be as far along as i am from 1-5-02

In My case Lenny

It has been one setback after the other. so i set my goals a lot lower and more achievable, that way i do not get disappointed when they do not turn out the way i want, every stroke survivor is on a mission that they can achieve or want to achieve

Allan

I asked Jackie this question. She frowned, then laughed, then did her best to answer the question, I have no idea what her answer really was but I think it had something to do with just being able to be understood when she is asked these kinds of questions.

She cannot speak

She is incontinent

Right side hemiparesis

Vision cut

It has been 7 months. We are both impatient - she would kill just to see her toes move or to call my name - clearly.

i think to recovery for me would...to drive again. oh how i would love to grt brhind the wheel, roll down the window play some good music and say ill be back in 1 or 2 hours. if i could do this that means i have my balance back and my head does not feel messed up. i can just feel it..........take care patty

Wow you have made a miraculous recovery in just 5 months.

For me it will be 3 years in May since my stroke. I have walked with a cane for 2 years now. But my right hand is still recovering verey slowly. I try forcing it to do things. So i think recovery for me is a little at a time. I know its still happening as i feel im getting better daily.

My goal is to walk without the use of my cane, and to be able to use my right hand and arm almost as well as before the stroke. The secret, I think, is to keep working and never give up.

I am driving again, with my Doctor's blessing. I believe this therapy helps me greatly because I use my right hand extensively without thinking.

If I could drive again and not be in a wheelchair, I would be in heaven. Gosh, what a rush I just got just typing that thought. To be free, To be on my own, If I needed to get my hair cut, I could just call my Hairdresser and make an appt and just go and then meet up with a friend and either do lunch or just hang out. That would make me so very happy. To have freedom. Not having to wear "Big Girl Pullups" to have some sort of normal back in my life. To be able to drive to the pool and swim. I loved to swim and I so miss it. I would love to start back up with therapy ... my Neuro gave me an RX to start back up, but I have no way to get there. That is the stumbling block in my life right now. I live out in the country on the bay and we have no public transportation, no buses, taxis, etc. People feel since it has been five years, I should be A-OK... they have no clue. I want more recovery. But, I need help in getting there. I don't have all the "tools" here .... I am so frustrated right now in my corner of the world. I just need help. Wish there was someone in my life that would listen. They have set expectations on me that I have no more recovery to be gotten. I disagree. I think if I had the cooperation for someone to drive me to where I need to go I would have opportunities to get better.

Thanks for listening. Just in a rough spot right now.

God Bless, Hugs, Jan

Believe In Miracles And SOAR

Hiya Wes...

Recovery to me would be able to use both my arms and legs like I useda, to type two handed, and not subject to the periods of fatigue I go through...

The job I had was fast paced, challenging, and I worked with a lot of people....inside sales, in a tough industry.....I liked it, but I'll be honest, I was gonna retire as early as I could...

I have 3 life interests...the essences (think perfume), gems and jewelry, and ancient coins....

Recovery would mean to me also, I could do jewelry again......I was fascinated by the stones, but after a while ya haveta do something with them....I had hardly any shopping to fer Christmas, Birthdays, etc.....I've never met a lady that does not like jewelry....

And ya get to share the beauty of the stones.....

Buddies......I'd make stuff they could give their wives and girlfriends...

Usually was a pretty practical gift.....<G>....

Not working has put a crimp in this stuff, if only as funding for acquisition. My bad hand has made it tough to play with jewelry...

But...I'll get there....

Hi All,

To me recovery is a process not an outcome, and it keeps on going. I don't know if it has an ending. If it does I'll let you know :)

I have goals - small, medium, large & "big, hairy audacious!!!" ones & they changes as I achieve them. They are what's important to me, what I focus on, not whether I have "recovered".

My biggest, hairiest, most audacious goal at the moment is to be able to put stud earrings on, very fine work with two hands LOL. I'm such a girl & a vain one at that :)

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh Recovery.. what would it be for me... mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm let me think.. that's it I think.. to have a clear mind and not have to analyze everything so much. A clear head with clear thoughts with clear answers. That would be recovery for me and give me peace I think. Oopps there I go again, Thinking. Anywho, proud of you and everyone's accomplishments. I think everyone is in some form of recovery, well a little or a lot. I think that makes us all pretty much the same, whether we want to admit it or not. No one is perfect and most everyone has to recover from something in their lives at some time or another. I think that acceptance is a key to recovery and being thankful for what we can do, not we can no longer do. I read that in a book by Jerry White, that I would recommend to everyont to have on hand when you are feeling victimized by stroke or anything . It is "I will not be broken" .. oh and it also says that the most unselfish thing a person/victim can do to be a survivor vs. a victim, for themselves and their families is to LET IT GO ! and not live or dwell on the past. That is my goal this year.

Ann

I should have known it would be Wesley that would have me pondering so very long. You always have the best questions!!!! What would recovery be for me? To be invisible at home or to the public again. Instead of having some kind of neon sign over my head that flashes the word handicapped. Even if I sit quietly with my hands folded in my lap and dont make a sound ...ineveitably someone has to ask me a question and my cover is blown. On flashes the neon sign for the world to see ..... After that it is like no one seems to care what I think. Or what I feel till I am back here at StrokeNet. Even those who I love the most can carry on whole conversations on what is in my best interest without even caring to hear what I might think. I wonder why, as I know they know I am not deaf!! My hearing is fine>?!?Karen

For me recovery would be not having to struggle with just about every thing I do. From getting dressed in the morning to walking back to my room at night, to go to bed. Sometimes it feels as if I go from problem to problem. Some of them doable,some not.But I'm still kicking! Just not as high :rolleyes: I wish all good luck with their recovery may you achieve all that you desire. Keep on rollin...........sam

Wes,

Congratulations on your continued recovery. Your

desire to push forward has motivated me to try

harder. From the time I get up in the morning I

live and breath (( Recovery )) I'll be 1 year next month.

I'm about 80% And Im going to achieve 100% someday.

Knowing there others out there, in the same boat,

makes me know we can do this. THE CLOWN

Full recovery for me would be wearing my high heels again on a date; taking a nice hot bubble bath everyday; being able to style my hair any way I want to; maybe working two or three days a week - well maybe not <_< I like retirement :D - actually in the world scheme of things, how important is any of that stuff. Come to think of it, really, I'm pretty happy. I'm not recovering - I'm discovering!

Guest thewizard336

As we can see by all of these posts recovery is an individual view. I would say for me after 15 years I am still recovering because I am still working on impairments left by the stroke. I would also say that my recivery would include a change on the way I see things and how much I have grown as a person.

Guest electric Heart

recovery for me is a continuous ongoing process. While I have regained my driving privledges, I still have terrible neuropothy and sensation problems. I also can feel the changes in my abilities and personality. I am constantly reminded that my brain has been rewired, but compared to September 2007, when being prepped for a craniotomy (which never happened) I'd say I've made leaps and bounds....but my will to shake off the remaining remnants/deficits is what will lead me to that place. Great question!

Ally

Recovery for me is getting back to canoeing, such that I can load up and take off the boats by myself. Right now I need to have someone else around for that. It also would mean being able to play the saxophone again even though I had just started prior to the event.

Dean

• 3 weeks later...

Wes,

A really good question. Recovery in Websters dictionary is defined as " to get back again', "to regain normal health, poise or status" , "to reclaim". Since I was stroked in 9/08 it has changed my life. I'm not sure I really want "to go back" to everything that I had then. Since the stroke, I have been able to think things through, my relationship with my spouse is stronger than ever before...

In getting back to the definition as Websters has it, I do want to regain normal health, but I now want to be healthier than I was before...

I don't want to "reclaim" what I had, because life is good and it is different...

My recovery is a new birth, a new discovery of myself, my strengths and those around me...It's a journey....

Rose

Archived