WEARY

PhilW

Is'nt strange that if you do absolutely nothing allday you end up tired or you have a flat out day you are tired but if you have a steady day you seem to be okay. Today im doing the housework to take some weight off my wifes shoulders including cooking dinner ,hey its good therapy & it kills time, every time I stop <i feel sleepy so I keep going ,but also if I do toomuch it makes me zonked(pooped).Is it the brain retraining itself to cope with its daily issues or just your body saying where have you been? How do you guys look at it? :cleaning:

phil, good question. i am no expert but i think our brains being injured from the stroke is reason enough to be fatigued. a therapist once told me it takes a stroker 3x the energy to do anything. than it does a non-stroker. its the damage done by the stroke and how it affects our bodies i guess. our stamina just isn't the same. . i am 7years post stroke and i still tire easily and sleep when i can, since i no longer work, my time in bed has increased, thats my story and i am sticking to it,LOL

Hi Phil,

Over the years I've learned to get my work done in the morning hours. (I'm usually up early and my husband works in the afternoon, so I sleep.) Occasionally I do stuff in the afternoon, but by then I'm usually too pooped.

Susan :Neeeedsleeep:

phil,

being tired is my greatest stroke challenge. i go to bed exhausted and wake up tired. i try to pace myself throughout the day but you will often find me on the couch resting. what kim said is interesting and i am sure true....it take effort to do eveything. getting dressed is a major to-do and everything we do takes extra time.

i think fatigue is on of my acceptance biggies. so you are not alone....just do the best you can and rest when your body says rest. take care...kathy

Phil,

I would think after 4 years I'd learn the importance of pacing myself on my chores and tasks. Nope. Prior to stroke I was definitely a type-A personality - go go go. Now it's nap nap nap.

There are days still when even taking a shower tires me out. It is important for us survivors to give in to the nap urge as we can do ourselves more harm than good forging ahead and pushing to the limit. Safety issues for me are more prevalent if I'm tired and do not give into resting.

It does take us longer to accomplish things, especially one-handed. Do what you can is my motto - all will still be there tomorrow.

Hi Phil.

After my stroke i was tired all the time, Then after several months I got back to my normal sleep routine 5 or so hours sleep per night but did not nor could i physically challenge myself I was exhausted doing the smallest task. But since I had the TIAs late last year i sleep quite a bit now like 14 hours yesterday and now it is 1 am just woke after 2 hours sleep so go figure, Stroke challenges all of us in different ways.

Allan

I don't really know the answer.

When one side of the Brain controls the other side of the body you would think the Brain on the affected side would slow down some but still function. If that was a medical fact, you could see how the body gets tired and need more rest carrying all the functions for both sides of the body. Just my :type: :lightning:

Hi Phil.....

Like other folks gotta pace myself......

The other day, I did my 4 block walk, then I ran out all the garbage and recyclables.....It was in the 50's...

Oh yeah...live in an upper.....the black 30 gallon jobs, 4 total,two of them down on the rear sunporch in the cold...up and down, up and down......The stuff that was upstairs I just tied with twisties tight and rolled down the steps....

And then a few hours later did a major grocery shop......

I was shaking by the time got the bags upstairs even with help.....

Was OK after about a half hour......

Then there's days when I'm so tired, it's even a bother to dress.....

It's been a year, and I don't have a pattern pinned down yet.....

Except I ain't gonna try that sequence again....

Hi Phil,

I think of it this way - part due to the fact that I am constantly re-wiring my brain & part due to my left side is a lot harded to move round than it used to be. For me life takes much more effort these days. But I also guess it depends on your deficits why things are more tiring but from all the strokees I have met that is the one thing we all have in common.

HTH

Phil, I think its just you...just kidding. Actually, I believe that it is our brain rewiring all the nerves that makes us tired. Like Donna, I am a "Type A" personality. I get scolded a bit from my wife for not resting enough. Before my dad passed away, he gave me some sound advice. "Listen to your body".

Hi Phil: I cannot add anything new to what has been posted. You are definitely not alone. High expectations of what I think I can do in any given time gets me in trouble emotionally (also tiring) when I cannot meet those expectations and this character tract is terrible to change. As my husband says I developed this personality 63 years pre-stroke and I cannot expect to change it overnight. I am working on patience and giving time time right now. Pacing myself better and if I think I can do "one more thing" DON'T!! I am tired when I get up no matter what time it is. At least I can get up!! OI am not ready for a dirt nap yet.

Leah

I totally agree with what Donna said about that Type A personality "disorder" - it was an asset MOST of my life, but not so much as Stroke Girl! In fact, if I'm not careful, I can get stressed out and cause my blood pressure to elevate because I'm trying to do too much... mostly mentally!

I plan anything important in the mornings, when I know I'm stronger. By mid-afternoon, I'm exhausted (not ready for bed, just too tired to attempt anything). I'm grumpy, my body hurts, spasticity is worse, and I don't carry on conversations very well.

I sleep with a bi-pap machine - after the stroke, my neurologist sent me for a sleep study, and I had sleep apnea. I cannot sleep without my "mask" - and after I started using it, my sleep improved and I felt more rested. :cloud9:

I don't dare try to do anything physical in the afternoon or evening. It would be too risky. Falling is not fun. :roflmao:

Blessings,

hera

Phil,

I feel the same as you! When I first came home from the hospital I couldn't believe how tired I could get from doing nothing. I could watch the damn TV for a 10 hour stretch and be more tired than when I used to ride my bicycle 50 miles. I have read that our brains heal during sleep. The fatigue may be our bodies trying to tell us that if we intend to get better; we need to rest. :uhm:

Wes

Archived