slowing down

amie_1

Dave is slowing down alot lately.

His walking is worse, he is MUCH slower, he has to stop every few feet and steady himself. His speech has deteorated some, he will call an apple a toothpick for example, but as soon as he says it he knows it is not right and corrects himself, his memory is alot worse too. He can ask the same question that you have discussed in depth at least twice that day. He has NO energy at all he says he is tired and just feels so weak.

He naps at least 4 times a day, I think this is because his "symptoms" are depressing him. He is on anti depressants and anxiety meds which do help him.

He saw his psychiatrist last week and his counselor yesterday and things seem to be going well there according to them.

All his blood tests from last week have come back fine. No infections, blood counts are great so are thyroid etc...

But my concern is this "slowing down" what does it mean??? We were at his neurologist yesterday but he poo pood my/our concerns, since the neuro is leaving in 10 days I guess he doesn't want to get into anything. We do have an appointment with his primary care Dr in two weeks.

But if these things progress I will take him to the VA urgent care alot sooner.

This is not my Dave at all, oh yes we still joke around and I try and take him out somewhere at least once a week that is not dr related, but it seems to exhaust him so much, that he has to come home after an hour or two and sleep for two hours.

I guess this is just a ramble of my concern and worry for someone that I love dearly.

hugs to all, Anne

So sorry Anne that this is upsetting you. I don't know where you live but in Canada here, I seem to go backwards in the winter, I slow down quite a bit also. At this time of the year we need sun and for me I know that this is the reason.

mc

Hi Ann, I am sorry to hear Dave is slowing down, could some of it be cold weather or dreary days? maybe or hopefully Spring and flowers some sun and warmer weather will help cheer him up. I know I ache more .. and not as comfortable with the cold weather.

My Dr did a Vitamin D blood test last year, it is called OH 25 D, I was severely deficient in D. I had to go on a high.. compounded dose of D ( the pharmicist makes the capsules with the prescribed dose) it was one a week for 12 weeks, with a specific dose of D in gel caps ( the tablets do not dissolve as well) daily. I was retested after 12 weeks. I feel much better with my D level up, I have more energy and did notice a difference. The D level is not included in most blood tests and this is a specific one for the D level. You may want to ask your Dr about this.

It doesn't hurt to ask for a test. Especially with those of us in Northern cold climates.

I did quite a bit of research on line about vitamin D.

Bonnie

Bonnie

Anne,

Sorry to hear that Dave is slowing down. I cannot remember how old Dave is. It is good he catches himself making the mistakes though. It could be too that the winter weather is getting to him.

I understand you miss the old Dave, which is natural. As a survivor I miss myself as well and Dave probably misses his old self.

Survivors are like newer versions of who they once were, in my opinion anyway. I know I feel I am. The exhaustion thing is still quite a part of life for me and I'm 4 years post. Over the past year it has improved though.

Any health issues post stroke are harder to cope with; Dave has had his share of issues. Definitely speak to the doctor to see what he has to say.

Warmer weather is hopefully around the bend and perhaps spring fever will help.

Anne

Never worry about rambling as we are here to support both you and Dave. I hope the primary doctor will be able to give you some guidance.

Please keep us posted.

Stessie

Anne

Last time Ray was in a slow down period was last winter. The doctor decided that he needed to resume the vitamin B12 shots so he had three of them, one every two weeks. We are lucky here that we do have sun all year round so I make sure I get Ray out into the full sun with at least his forearms uncovered in winter to get vitamin D although I also buy him a calcium supplement that includes vitamin D.

Has Dave been checked for infections? a urinary tract infection, slight cold etc can slow Ray down a lot. Ray also had to have blood products after the chest infection last winter to bring his hemoglobin count back up. I do give him fresh fruit all year round, fruit juices, meat etc, as balanced a diet as a housewife can manage ( as opposed to a dietitian).

With Ray the confusion comes more obvious when he is tired, when his meals and medications have taken outside of the usual schedule so his blood sugar is out of balance or when he is dehydrated ( that is usually related to BMs). I feel such a failure when Ray becomes sick, as if I can control his health by the things I do!

Hope your primary doctor can find the cause of the sudden deterioration and reverse it.

(((Hugs))) from Sue.

Dear Anne: I am going to say extra prayers for the both of you. Winter is very rough on me as the heat is in the summer. I know I have been not myself for a while. Please don't ever feel as thought you are "rambling" .... heck we are a family here and you come and chat any time you need to. We are here for one another. If we can help you to cope better then our job has been done. You never know who you are helping and reaching out to. Know we love you and Dave and we pray for you always. Hug, Jan

Believe In Miracles and SOAR :hug:

Anne,

I am sorry to hear that but as you know we have peaks and valleys during our recovery periods, so it takes time.

In my own way you have heard me say on here I have slowed down too. It happens! We'll continue to pray for him and look to God for the answers. All his test are OK and he is getting rest his brain needs, we have to give it time, that's what I think about myself too.

thank you ALL for your replies and love.

It has been two years since dave's stroke. It just seems like he is going down hil suddenly in some areas. He's done soooo well. From wheelchair to walker to cane to walking unassisted. He is such a strong person, he is my hero.

I don't mind his naps, I know his brain is still healing and if he is tired then sleep is a good healing agent.

These "symptoms" for lack of a better word have really only been the last two weeks and it seems to be progressively getting worse.

We try and keep to the same schedule espically with meals and meds. I know how important routine is to him (and me :)

I have thought about the dreary winter affecting him. I will ask about vitamin D and B12 when I see his dr. Nope no infections, none that he was tested for anyway, his blood count was perfect. No colds either, he's been pretty healthy this winter concerning colds, flu etc.

He coughs, coughs, coughs, at nite horribly to the point where he chokes, during the day he coughs the same, but not as often. I took him to the urgent care VA last week, told him that something was not right he isn't himself and told about the coughing and fluid retention in his leg. They x rayed his chest did the usual blood work and such . I was worried about congestive heart failure again, all tests came back fine. They uped his water pill for a couple days to get that excess fluid out.

His coughing is not any better maybe a little worse, that is probably some of the reason that he is napping more, he is not getting the rest at nite. This is wierd to say, but I live with him 24/7 something is not right with Dave... I know him better then anyone and I am stomping my foot... something is NOT RIGHT WITH HIM..... I just can't tell you what it is, he is off.... I'm not screaming at any of you, :) I'm just frustrated.

A nurse from VA called yesterday, they want to put a telecomputer in the house to monitor him... blood sugar, blood pressure, etc... I think it's a great idea.. obviously someone is looking into his records or something and thinks he needs to be monitored close. We go friday and get educated about it. I am excited, I am up for anyting that helps Dave feels better. Has anyone heard or had any experience with this??

Time to get more coffee and DAve's pills ready for when he wakes up.

HAPPY VALENTINES everyone.

Hugs Anne

Annie, so sorry to hear that Dave is so tired. His speech is probrably affected by his being so tired, memory too. or thats usualy the case. For my dad, with parkinsons, they say, let them rest.. all day if they need to... an all night.. sometimes it takes daddy 2 days to regroup. Sometime you just gotta let em rest. its ok.. He is ok, hes just tired. your primary doc should be able to help.. I know Ill be praying for him

Hey a tanning bed always makes me feel better in the winter. I know I know its not safe, but there is alot to be said about winter and depression, its the light thingy. people pay big bucks to have lights in their offices in the winter. Check it out !!!!

love yall

Ann

Stroke Warrior

Annie, so sorry to hear that Dave is so tired. His speech is probrably affected by his being so tired, memory too. or thats usualy the case. For my dad, with parkinsons, they say, let them rest.. all day if they need to... an all night.. sometimes it takes daddy 2 days to regroup. Sometime you just gotta let em rest. its ok.. He is ok, hes just tired. your primary doc should be able to help.. I know Ill be praying for him

Hey a tanning bed always makes me feel better in the winter. I know I know its not safe, but there is alot to be said about winter and depression, its the light thingy. people pay big bucks to have lights in their offices in the winter. Check it out !!!!

love yall

Ann

Stroke Warrior

Hi Anne,

OK, there are several areas to look in. Bill has had bouts of confusion and "failing" and it has been severe anemia. The last time was pneumonia. You might remember I knew something was wrong for two weeks before they finally did a chest exray and another trip to ER before they finally did an exray an bloodwork and what do you know??? It was pneumonia.

Bill had weight and bp monitoring in the house by his insurance for awhile. Not VA, his blue cross. I may call them again and have them send the equipment back. He was in and out of the hospital a lot and it wasn't really worth it before, but I'm thinking it might not be a bad idea.

I'm so glad the VA has got Dave hooked up with their "home health" system. I believe the PCP or another doc has to recommend he be put on the program. Based on his history and visits, I bet that is why he is a good candidate or closer monitoring. That is a good thing, not anything you should be concerned about, just happy for!!!

By the way, have you signed up for the MyHealthE-Vet yet? It is a great web based database you can use to track all kinds of things for the veteran's health care program. You can even order his meds online. Once he signs up at the VA you can even see the names of the meds you are ordering. It is just great when we use the VA so much, it's good to be able to manage everything on line instead of through the mail!

I know it is frustrating and there are all kinds of things that can cause his symptoms. Just remember you are in the driver's seat when you go to the doctor's. Don't let them run over you at the VA. If you have a problem, ask to change doctors. If you feel like they are dismissing you and/or your concerns, call them on it. Ask WHY or WHY NOT. You know the coughing is a new symptom. You know the severity. Don't let them dismiss you! I know they think we are worry warts and sometimes a pain in the neck (see, I was nice) but I don't even worry about it anymore.

I'm so sorry I missed your post over the week-end. I would have called you. Please call if you have any questions or need to talk.

Warmly,

Ann

Archived