Clarify please

Euroclydon

I had a what we are calling a stroke per neurologist and CAT but no MRI as of 3 Feb 2009.

Here's my question I had rightside face and arm and lower leg numbness but when I read

about leftsided stroke it says your right side body is affected but the left side of face is numb?

Is it all left side or all right side? I had really bad head aches that stopped but are now replaced by

constant dizzyness I can no longer drive due to dizzy but priorto that my symtoms or numbness was

mild i can walk but do have occasional falls. Loss of memory and super slow these days......

Arthur :o

Hi Arthur,

Welcome to strokenet. I will try to answer your question. As I understand it if you have a stroke on the left side of your brain then the right side of your body is affected, ie right side of face, right arm, right leg, if the stroke was on the right side of your brain then the left side of the body is affected. Hope this helps.

Hank

hi arthur and welcome to the site. what hank has said is true. do you use a assistive device when you walk, cane or walker? please be careful when you walk, falls can break a hip or other injuries, can happen. yes memory and being alittle slower goes along with a stroke. you can work on your memory but trying to walk faster if dizzy is dangerous. have you talked to your doctor about the dizziness to see if any meds might be able to help you with that. you could hit your head in a fall and cause more damage. i hope things get better for you real soon. keep us posted on how you are progressing, please.

Hi Arthur, Usually if a stroke is on one side of the brain, the opposite side is affected. Sometimes though the stroke can hit in an area.. where nerves "cross" and you can have some sympoms or numbness on the same side. A brain stem stroke can affect both sides of the body. So it all depends on what areas/nerves of the brain were affected from the stroke.

You should definately comtact you Dr. they may want to do some follow up. Possibly order some Physical therapy to help with the walking and some of the dizziness.

I was very dizzy for a long time, it has resolved for the most part. I still have some days, when I am a bit off balance, or I move to quickly I get dizzy.

Slow and easy.. and using a cane will help so you don't fall. Please contact either the neurologist or your regular Dr and explain what is happening.

Warmly, Bonnie

I don't use a cane or walker my 1st MRI is on tommorow. So I have not had a post stroke Neuro Appt that comes on 2 March.

Hank thanks for setting me straight on sides. I did voluntarily stop driving since it cause excessive disorrientation after I get out

of vehicle my walking becomes difficult both legs... While driving it feels like video game not real???

I am afraid if I tell Neuro Dr they may really pull license. The numbness from original stroke is now only in lower leg thank God

but not so that I can not walk it's funny sometimes I limp sometimes I don't.. The original numbness returns to face and arms only if

I get stressed though but it goes away after I relax the atavan help too. LOL Thanks for talking too.

Arthur :yadayada:

Arthur,

I hope that you can get the answers you deserve. As Bonnie stated, depending on where the stroke impacted your brain, you could see deficits on both sides.

I can understand your hesitation in asking too many questions; however, that is the only way you will know for sure. If your questions do not get answered, please seek a second opinion.

Good luck and please be careful motoring around. Balance issues are also common with stroke.

Hi Arthur.......

There's a part of the brain where the control function crosses over sidewise....

So like Hank says, if the actual damage is in the left part of the brain, the physical effects happen to the right...In fact, that's the case with me....and vice versa.....

Sometimes both sides can be affected...for a number of reasons...there's more damage than just the one side, or something mighta happened in the crossover area.....or reasons I can't imagine....

The MRI should clear up a lot....

Uhhhh....that video game effect when you're driving...that would spook the bejesus out of me....

Here's the deal with the license issue....(and I just had mine pulled on renewal, despite my Doc's recommendations)....If you have an accident, even if it's not your fault, the insurance you have may not protect you, if they can establish you were motoring about knowing that you've had a stroke....and you're driving without the doc's approval, per se.....

At least that's the way my Doc explained it to me....

I had his approval to drive short distances (20 miles or less from home), daylight hours only, no freeway/highway, avoid peak traffic times....

Wisconsin still pulled my license when renewal time came....

I can get it back with med eval (Health Insurance will not pay for), taking written and road test, just like a newbie driver...

So...you have to check with your insurance folks, too...bearing in mind that insurance companies are in their racket to make money...

You don't want to find out the hard way......

I know it's a PITA, but you have to make sure about this stuff.....

So...talk to the neuro guy...ask questions...he's your best bet to to establish what's going on, and what likely prognosis is....You want to know as much about your conditions as possible......

Living without a license is a smack to your independence....I kinda know...<G>....I have no caregiver to help get me around, either, but friends and relatives have came through for me....

Thank God for the people who understand...

Take care,

Gary thanks for the license info and your right... I suspect I will lose it upon my Neuro appt completion.

I will be honest about driving issues to him. Do they actually tell you their going to pull license or is it

automatically generated by doctor..

My license is important since I work 100 miles each way from work not that I am ready to go back to work

my biggest hurdle is my line of work I am a process operator/dispatcher at oil refinery slight mistake

equals loss of life or big time equipment loss or environmental impacts...oh what to do argggh!

I don't want to pull a Homer Simpson LOL.

Being stuck in the house stinks though...

Arthur

Arthur,

Looks like your question has been answered already On licenses, my doctor recommended I do to the DMV let them know I had a stroke, the medicines I now take, how long I was hospitalized, then they will direct me in what to do. In my case I brought them a med list, times and dosages. I guess they didn't see anything there to prevent me from driving. I had to take the written and actual driving test with them in the car with me.

I used one hand but a few times I did put both hands on the wheel except when I made a turn. I asked the lady riding with me was she scared? She sad no sir, I see you been driving for 50 years, I said OK, you ready for a ride? She told me what to do and when, I passed the driving road test. My left eye was a little weak on the visual test so I got a restriction to drive with glasses only. I'm in Texas, each state is probably different.

Hey Arthur...

Basically, the State usually goes on the med report of the Doc....In my case, the Doc didn't feel it necessary to notify the DMV about my stroke, as long as I paid attention to the driving restrictions he gave me....

In WI, we have to renew our license every 9 years....There's a renewal form, and it asks about if you've had a stroke, and any after effects...I called their central office, found out the medical report needed, (the form doesn't mention it) downloaded it, and had the Doc fill it out....He put the same restrictions I had been driving under...

The DMV decided not to renew my license, they faxed the report to Madison, and Madison made their decision, all while I was in line at the renewal station....I had *no* clue they were going to deny the renewal....other than a bad feeling...which I've always had with the DMV...

Like Fred, I'll have to retest both written and road, in addition to a new medical evaluation....My Doc's evaluation doesn't count in this instance, I guess...

Stuff differs from State to State....

Being stuck in the house....Stinks...You ain't kidding....I call it "cabin fever"....<G>...

In my case, not having a caregiver helps kinda...Having to do all the daily activities on my own, normal living, takes up a lot of my time...

I've found that being a hand short (essentially) makes doing stuff at least twice as long...

Doing a 4 block walk around the neighborhood daily, Wisconsin weather permitting, helps...I have several interests that folks might call hobbies, but I call life interests....That helps, too...

Folks drag me out once in a while.....

Even when I was driving, I was driving only as necessary...appts, the pharmacy, grocery store...I get tired easily, and for me, driving was really tiring...

I never thought I'd like rummage sale safari trips...<G>...

100 miles each way is a long haul, my friend....Be sure you're ready to deal with that....

Fatigue can be sneaky to a stroker...

And...it sounds like you have some awesome responsibilities...and a long shift of them....

Work with your Docs....you want to get it as right as you can...

You'll know down deep what you can or can not do....

You just have to be honest with yourself....

And sometimes that's *hard* to do...<G>....

Artur I wanted also to ad if you feel something is not right do not hesitate at all to call 911. I dont mean to be an alarmist. However you have to be a realist acorss the board. Argh I hate waiting. I can deal with anything but not knowing. That gets me.

So thank yu again. I finally got my MRI done!!! Yahooooooooo!

I was sedated for open MRI due to caustrophobic I get it read 2 March I feel better already!

I will probably take another month off and go back 1 April I hope. I struggle with walking after being in a car period whether driving or passenger

found that out after 45 mile drive to Roseville. It feels just like I got off a amusement park ride "Space Mountain" LOL I hate rides at parks too.

I will not endanger anyone for selfish reasonseither until Neuro tells me whats the deal with the dizzy,brain aches etc,

You guys hang inthere too.

Arthur

Arthur....

Keep us in the loop, OK.....?

Arthur, glad you got the MRI and I hope for good news for you. Make sure you write down questions you have for the Dr. I find now if I don't have my list we can get off track.. and I end up at home with out answers.

Keep us posted. Also ask if you could get some Physical Therapy, to help you with walking and balance issues.

Best wishes, Bonnie

• 2 weeks later...
I am praying for you my friend, I can no longer drive as well due to the Beast, Stroke, but you know what? I'm still living, there is life after losing the keys to the car .... Life is good. God Bless, Hang in there. Believe In Miracles And Soar, Jan

I got lucky... at renewal time. Actually, it was just two days before it was too late - two years AFTER my expiration, technically. But, my daughter rolled me in, and I told the truth on the form, and my license was renewed for another six years.

No, I haven't driven any vehicles. That's the family joke. I do have three wheelchairs.

I do miss my car. I still have keys - but a manual transmission? Ha! That's not gonna happen!

Blessings,

Hera

Archived