Requesting Input

Guest PamToo

Guest PamToo

Hi,

I've been kicking around an idea (only with myself, mind you) for a little over a year, and it finally occurred to me to run it by all of you.

I like to write. I'd noticed that in our major state newspaper there's a weekly column written by a woman with a disability, and that started me thinking about writing my own weekly column in my local paper. Mine would be different than hers--at least that's my original plan. She seems to focus on laws, etc. whereas I'd just like to try writing about life in general from my perspective as a stroke survivor. Worrier that I am, though, I've done nothing but talk myself out of it--but the thought's nagging at me and won't go away. So here I am, asking for your thoughts.

Please know that I realize that this will never fly if the paper isn't interested anyway :roflmao: but I'm trying to regroup and refocus before I approach them. I know that in my personal life during the course of conversations, I'll say things and people will frequently comment "I never knew that." or "I never thought of it that way." If "you" were reading such a column, what types of ideas or frustrations/encounters would you like to see expressed, or what would interest you?

I don't see my efforts as being any "heavy hitter"-type of thing, but as I said the idea won't leave me alone and I've decided to stop talking myself out of it and instead regroup and make plans for approaching the paper about giving it a try. I know my first "order of business" will be to write a sample of what I have in mind, which I'll need to start.

Any ideas or comments?

Thanks.

Pam

Pam,

I think that's a terrific idea girl - go for it!!!!! You could write about frustrations of handicapped access to public places in your area for one idea.

I'm sure others will have ideas as well.

As Jan says there's nothing to it but to do it - Gooooooo Pam :D

Pam,

It sounds like a great idea. One of our greatest unseen deficits is our no longer having the self confidence to take the risks that may afford us the opportunity to take advantage of new paths. If it is something you really want to do you should go for it. In fact there's a possibility for an introductory column ~~ What difficulty a stroke survivor has in taking on something new such as this and why. How you came to the decision. This board is a tremendous resource and should offer countless ideas. I'm sure many people will offer great suggestions. You can also close your column with an offer for readers to email you with topics like would like to see addressed.

Best of luck and keep us posted on what you decide and how you make out.

Guest j&jsdad

PAM,

EXCELLENT IDEA. SOMETHING INSIDE OF YOU IS MOVING YOU, AND FROM THE SOUNDS OF IT, IT IS COMING FROM A MOTIVATION TO BE HELPFUL TO OTHERS BY UTILIZING TALENTS YOU POSSESS. THAT IS AN HONORABLE COMBINATION. COMING FROM MY ITSY BITSY MIND, I AM THINKING ANYTHING THAT COULD HELP INFORM/EDUCATE THE PUBLIC REGARDING THIS BEAST AND ITS EFFECTS/AFFECTS COULD ONLY BE USEFUL.

FOLLOW YOUR SPIRIT, I SAY.

IF I CAN BE HELPFUL IN ANY WAY, LET ME KNOW.

BRIAN

Our local newspaper has a monthly column written by a blind individual. It explores everyday life of an individual living in a world that is predominantly able to see. Even before I stroked, it introduced me to the challenges of the blind.

Yes, I think your idea has merit. Perhaps you could identify someone with MS, Parkinson's Disease, and etc. and rotate on the guest colums and open up to the field of neurology. Be prepared for a commitment if you decide to move forward. Try not to second guess your decision.

I'm not sure where your comfort level is but there are also opportunities with your local American Heart Association (stroke is a part of this) for speaking engagements on being a stroke survivor. This also opens up doors for you to use your skills.

You can do it!

Stessie

Guest Hostjoy

Pam, What a great idea!!

I think it would "go across" wonderfully! Stop doubting yourself and turn all that energy toward your creativity! You could even do a Q&A section at the end of your articles to get the community involved. You can do it.I'll be pulling for you!! Good luck and God Bless!............Joy

Pam,

You have a gift and you have the best resources right here on this site, so go for it. There are so many things about stroke that the general public does not understand. Good luck.

Vi

Guest PamToo

Thank you, every one of you, for your input and encouagement; it goes without saying (but I will anyway) that it's very much appreciated!

Because of that, I'm going ahead with it, and definitely will let you know. Stessie, I don't know where my comfort level is on the "speaking" idea. either. I'd never considered it, but I do know that we can't always stay in our "safe zones" and I'm old enough to know better than to say "I could never..."

Thanks again to all of you!

Pam

You are doing the right thing...Follow your mind! It will be great I'm sure.

Guest electric Heart

New goals are great and writing can be very therapeutic not to mention oter unknown survivors that will benefit. Good for you- go for it! :)

Ally

Pam, I, too, like to write When I had my stroke I began writing poems as part of my dealing with things. That was 7 yrs. ago. Last year I self-published those poems into a book. I never thought I could or would ever do that. I gave them to many, many family members and sevveral friends. I even sold some to people I didn't even know who were touched by my poems. So, go forth and share yourself. Good luck. I will be thinking of you. Lay

Hi Pam,

BY ALL MEANS, PLEASE DO THAT. BEFORE I HAD A STROKE, I KNEW VERY, VERY LITTLE ABOUT IT LET ALONE THE AFTER EFFECTS. IN FACT, I WAS SUCH A DUMMY, I THOUGHT ALL PEOPLE IN WHEELCHAIRS COULDN'T WALK! OUR FAMILY HAS BEEN BLESSED BECAUSE WE DO NOT HAVE ANY PARTICULAR HEALTH PROBLEMS RUNNING THRU OUR GENERATIONS. SO, I WAS QUITE NAIVE' ABOUT MOST DISABILITIES. SO I CERTAINLY THINK YOUR COLUMN WOULD BE A WINNER.

Hi Pam:

It's a wonderful idea, after reading your post, I've mentioned it to several others who AGREE!!!

This brought us around to various topics based on our experiences:

When you are a female (wife) caregiver, which restroom do you take your wheelchair-bound husband into? ( I use the ladies - Ralph cannot see, but I have trouble convincing anyone because he will swivel his head around and say "whoa! will you look at that! Funny guy.....)

When going to a restaurant, being seated in a FAR corner....

Having salespeople "talk" to the caregiver, not the survivor....

anyone else had these experiences?

Let us know if your paper gives you the OK, and if we can read "online"

Lisa

Hi Pam, that is a great idea. You could write about the challenges of living and doing everything with one hand. Good luck to you. And as our friend Jan says: ″ There is nothing to it but to do it.″

mc

Guest PamToo

All of you are fantastic!!--thank you for the continued encouragement and great ideas! Lisa, I hadn't thought of that before, but I think they are online--at least their classifieds are :roflmao: , I'll check into it! My goal is to know something this week and I'll come back here and keep you (sorry for the pun) posted! Thanks again!!

Pam

Hiya Pam....

Go for it.

It would be a chance to educate normies, expertise from within.....

You see the topic over and over again on the board...the normies, even with the best intentions, do not understand.....

Unless a person has a stroke themselves, or is closely involved with someone who's stroked....All that's known is that it's a bad thing that happens in the brain, that can cripple or kill....

The ignorance affects how they deal with survivors in everyday life....

I have a suggestion for you, though....Put together a couple of 'sample' columns......

That way you'll get a feel about what producing one is like....And you have something to demo should you get a nibble....

News Flash.. News Flash ... News Flash... News Flash... News Flash... News Flash... News Flash...

Pam, great opportunity..... Believe In Miracles And SOAR

There's Nothing To It BUT To Do It.....

I think you would be great..... I know I would read your column.....

You would be awesome ..... Take your dream and pray on it and I know GOD is behind all of it.

I haven't answered your post until now as I have been praying about it and I get the answer for you to go for it. Just think of all the people who will be helped and who will be learning. Heck, I might even ask a question. hehehe

Let us know how you are doing.

God Bless, Love n Hugs,

Jan :hug:

Guest PamToo

I had said "earlier" that I'd keep everyone informed, so here I am. Even though my stomach was right up in my throat, I had a meeting scheduled and was ready to rock'n'roll. Unfortunately, because of a death in the city editor's family, the meeting had to be postponed. The good news is that the secretary sounded very excited about and receptive to the idea. The bad news is that over the weekend I came down with the stomach bug making the rounds up here. I'm hoping that I have the "short version" but I'm not sure yet. Sorry I don't sound enthusiastic right now about my own idea, but I just want to lie back down. It's been bugging me, though, cuz I knew I said I'd provide an update. Things are still a "go" and I'm still hopeful, but sorry to say everything's been pushed back a few days. When I call later today, I can either set a new appt. time or at least get a feel for when he might be back. Once again, I'll let you know! Thanks for all of the support and encouragement!

Pam

Pam,

Great Idea, thats awesome ! I would suggest writing about the treatment of disabled persons. Where I live if a disability is not seen it is not a disability. If I had been in a wheel chair and treated the way I was treated at work after my stroke. People would have stood on their heads to help me.

I think communities need to be more aware of how unfair treatment of anyone who is different in any way can affect that person and should not be tolerated.

Hey I may write in my own local paper. :)

Listen, also write about the importance of following stroke protocol for t-pa. This site offers alot of information, you might pull from http://www.ninds.nih.gov/disorders/stroke/knowstroke.htm

That it is key to go to a hospital that deals with stroke asap. Time is Brain cells.

Good luck with your column. Let us read the sample ok.

Ann

Archived