Canada

Budweiser

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am in Gatineau, Quebec. Just across the river from Ottawa, Ontario where I was born and raised.

mc

• 2 years later...

Phil here,sold the farm last summer in Binbrook,ON, now live in Richmond hill just north of Toronto,cottage in Magnetawan ON.stroked on x-mass eve 2010.Thank god every day I had our health care system there for me.Just read the problems americans have on this forum

• 8 months later...
  • 6 months later...

So I'm not Canadian...but in 20 weeks I will be for a month!

We are super excited about having a white Christmas in Quebec city and celebrating new Year at lake Louise!

Hoping to get some ice hockey in!

Go flames!

Though I am from NH, USA, my father was from Fortune, Prince Edward Island and my other grandmother was from Lower Quebec, in the townships near Sherbrooke. So perhaps I can claim to be half Canadian! Many of my childhood summers were spent on "The Island" with the many relatives there. 

How exciting to visit Quebec and Lake Louise! I have not been to either place, but hope you enjoy your visit! Carol, I have not been out east, but that's nice that you have some history here!

• 2 weeks later...

Though I am from NH, USA, my father was from Fortune, Prince Edward Island and my other grandmother was from Lower Quebec, in the townships near Sherbrooke. So perhaps I can claim to be half Canadian! Many of my childhood summers were spent on "The Island" with the many relatives there. 

Hi Carol, ok maybe you can claim to be half-Canadian; but you know you'd never get away with claiming to be an Islander.  The term "from away" is used here when speaking of anyone not born on the Island.  If you're born here, and your family moves away permanently when you're just a few months old, you're still an Islander forever.  If you were born elsewhere, but your family moved here permanently when you're still a baby, you're "from away" forever.  We're a strange lot, yes?

Hi Gary, if you come back to the site for a visit.

Hi Carol, ok maybe you can claim to be half-Canadian; but you know you'd never get away with claiming to be an Islander.  The term "from away" is used here when speaking of anyone not born on the Island.  If you're born here, and your family moves away permanently when you're just a few months old, you're still an Islander forever.  If you were born elsewhere, but your family moved here permanently when you're still a baby, you're "from away" forever.  We're a strange lot, yes?

Hi Gary, if you come back to the site for a visit.

Linbit,

Ahh, so my gram and dad were "Islanders forever" and when I was just a kid with them I was accepted on their coattails. Now I guess I would be "from away" though I think I am related to half the island and my husband, the other (Acadian) half. A strange, but wonderful, lot, yes. And from one of my favorite places on earth. Best wishes.

Carol

• 2 weeks later...

Hi there, welcome to the site, I am fairly new to finding this site likewise. However, everyone on here is very friendly and helpful and mostly, we all understand to varying degrees what each other has been going through. And the things we still struggle with. I am from Winnipeg but moved to Edmonton 11 years ago. Look forward to hearing more about your story.

All the best,

Susan

So I'm not Canadian...but in 20 weeks I will be for a month!

We are super excited about having a white Christmas in Quebec city and celebrating new Year at lake Louise!

Hoping to get some ice hockey in!

Go flames!

Hi Janelle, please let us know how your trip to Quebec and Alberta goes.....I know you'll have a great time, but would like to hear about it.  BTW, since you'll be in Lake Louise, you'll probably go to Banff as well.....such a romantic town, one of my favorite places in Canada.

Hi from Southern Ontario.  June 19 2014 stroke date.  Left brain and some right brain.  Right almost recovered, left was most damaged. 2nd year and still struggling with emotions and balance.

New here just visiting the Newbie chatroom.  Still figuring things out. 

:Hi:  Welcome to StrokeNet.  Ditto to what Susan said regarding looking forward to learning more about you.  I'm from Prince Edward Island, so of course I noticed that you're out on the water in your picture.  Was the pic taken before or after your strokes?  Like you, I stroked on both sides of my brain.  Mine was a long time ago, when I was 34 years old, but I like to keep in touch with StrokeNet to meet new members, and help them if I can.  Glad to see you're going to the Newbie chat room.   During these Sunday evening sessions, the chat host can answer your questions about getting around the site.  Also, reading the posts in the Stroke Survivor forum will give you insight as to the various kinds of problems other members are experiencing as well as the advice they receive.  I hope that after doing some reading, you'll feel encouraged to post your own questions or replies.  It would be great if you tell us your first name, much more casual way of addressing you.  Take care, Lin  :)

• 3 months later...

Hi Mark, Thanks for your reply.  I've been looking forward to meeting you.  Being forgetful is a pain in the ***.   I think a lot of us stroke survivors tend to live inside "post-it note" padded walls, LOL.  And don't worry about your typing abilities.....typos are the norm on this site!

Finding your way around StrokeNet is easier than you initially think.  When you see a topic in one of the forums that you'd like to contribute to, at the end of the posts you'll see "Reply to this topic", and just go for it.  And to start a new topic, go to the forum that is related to your questions or comments, and click on "Start New Topic" which you'll see at the top of the screen.  Also, at the top of home page of the Message Board, you'll see "View New Content". When you click on that, it will show you the new topics that have recently started.  If you want to know a bit more about another member, just tap on their photo, and it will bring you to their profile.  You've done really well with using a quote....that one took me a long time to figure out!  

Hope you've been reading some of the great posts.  Browsing through the various topics in the forum "Classic Postings and Advice" will give you a lot of information and advice on the physical, cognitive and emotional problems that are typical post-stroke. The name of the forums and topics within the classics will make it easy to identify the ones you'd like to read.  They may also spark an idea of something you may want to discuss in a new topic under the Stroke Survivor forum.

This is a great place to vent, to ask for advice, to give advice; lots of caring and sharing here.  The people in our lives who haven't had a stroke have no idea how difficult it is to adjust to such a life-altering event.  Please understand it's not necessary to write posts or blogs; some members find it helpful and cathartic, and others prefer to read. Just do what you're comfortable with.

Knowing that your photo was taken so recently (and your mention of jet skiing) tells me you've overcome a lot, and are enjoying life....something that often slips away for a while post-stroke, and can be difficult to get back on track.

Again, very glad that you joined, Mark, you'll receive a great deal of support here to keep you moving forward!  

I'm going to add you as a friend of mine, and in case we don't speak again before Christmas, I hope you and your family have the best!!

I understand where you're coming from Mark.  You really hit the nail on its head when you say that idleness can snowball.  Your brain may still be healing and taking a lot of your energy.  Also, it's not uncommon to feel depression post-stroke; have you talked to your doctor about your balance and emotional problems?  

There's a great topic titled "Balance Issues Post Stroke!" under the forum Stroke Survivor Support, sub-forum "Any Type of Stroke Deficit", that may help you determine if you can bring your balance problems under control.  Also, anti-depressants and/or anti-anxiety medication are needed by some of our survivors, as you'll find under the same forum Stroke Survivor Support, sub-forum "Cognition, Emotional and Perceptual Problems".

I hope this helps....All the best, Mark  :) 

• smallory unpinned this topic
  • 5 months later...
  • ksmith pinned this topic
  • 2 years later...

Saint Clair, Michigan minutes from the Blue Water Bridge to Sarnia. Born and raised in Detroit minutes from the Winsor tunnel and Ambassador Bridge and have used all 3 over my 69+ years. Love The Great White North!

Welcome gerrylee! I first thought Getty Lee had joined. 😊You will have some fun here and find a lot of support and information. Some of us like to call it the club none of us asked to or wanted to join. Looking forward to your communications and keep working out. I do most everyday. Nothing big, I ride a recumbent bike everyday for over 2 miles and do about 15 minutes of lifting on a cabled weight machine every other day. Not a lot but I notice a huge difference in everything. 

1 hour ago, GreenQueen said:

Sure is a long time Willis.

I hope those that are no longer with us on the site are doing well.

I know! Right? and I'm scrolling away just welcoming folks left and right from 10 and 15 years ago. A person just has to be able to laugh at themselves.🙄I agree I hope all these folks are ok these days. I hope to still be communicating with you and others here in 10 or 15 years.