Working after stroke

It has been a while since I have posted here. I am 15 years post stroke and the stroke was a bleed on the right hemisphere of my brain. I have been working now for about three years and find myself still having issues with visual and memory problems as well at organizing and multitasking.

I may have to quit my job and return to disability. I really hate the thought of that. Has anyone else had these types of problems and does anyone have any suggestions?

Although I had hoped to return to work, I never did. I'm two and a half years post-stroke and have really settled into early retirement.

I admire your ability to return to work. I have no answers for you but hopefully someone else will be able to provide some feedback.

Good luck to you.

Michael,

Good to hear from you again, it has been quite some time since you last posted. I had a right side bleed too. It's my opinion we could have problems here and there for quite a while yet. Then another person who had the same kind of stroke have no more problems at all. It happens and it happened to me. I am suffering presently.

It may be you have to take the disability again if you feel that would be the best thing to do, of course you are the one that would know that best. Check with your doctor maybe what is going on now may stop soon? He may know your condition.

I wish I could return to work slowly I am accepting that I wont ever do that most likely. If you take disability where is there any shame in that. I was not qualified to get it as I had taken a few years off. Due to a different accident. All in all they wont qualify me now I wish anything that they would.

Hi Michael,

I also had to medically retire from working right after stroke. Perhaps you could reduce your hours to see if that would help any. You really need to consult with your doctor as we are not medical professionals.

Please know that we are here for you.

Dear Michael:

Is your job real stressful? Have you thought possibly going out on short term disability and see how you do, then go back and if the problem still presents itself, go out on long term disability? I feel the best thing to do is speak with your supervisor and physician. I know when I was having problems, I took medical leave then after speaking with my physician went back and tried working with shorter hours. Didn't do well, so went on disability. Wasn't able to work again. This was with my Muscular Dystrophy.

I wish you well and hope things work out good for you.

HI.. I IM 50 YRS OLD AND HAD A R SIDED STROKE 19 MONTHS AGO. I CANT DRIVE EITHER SINCE I HAVE DOUBLE VISION BUT..... I STILL WORK 12 HOURS A WEEK. IVE WORKED AT THIS COMPANY FOR 32 YRS AND MAYBE THEY FEEL SORRY FOR ME BUT IM ABLE TO DO A SIT DOWN JOB...MAIL, COLLECTIONS, OR REPORTS. IN STEAD OF BEING A PATIENT CARE TECH. IT MY ONLY SANTITY RIGHT NOW. I JUST PRAY ONE MORE DAY, ONE MORE DAY. I WOULD LOVE TO STAY HOME CAUSE MOST DAYS I DONT FEEL GOOD BUT I GO IN WITH MY WALKER, MY PRIDE. AND DO THE BEST I CAN DO TIL I CANT DO IT ANY MORE. I GET SSDI EVERY MON AND GET PAID BY MY JOB EVERY 2 WEEKS...WHICH I KEEP FOR SHOPPING, MY SONS COLLEGE.GOOD LUCK TO YOU AND DO WHATS BEST FOR YOU!!!!!!!!!!!! PATTY

Hello Michael and :welcome: back,

My daughter Rachel had her stroke 31/2 years ago. She works one day a work at a local restaurant for about an hour a week. This is about all she can do right now. She loves it though and looks forward to going every week .

Hi Michael, I am 25 years post. I went back to work within a year of my stroke, part time at first until my pt was finished then I went full time. I had the same difficulties you described but I persisted. I had every intention of working until my retirement but when I was 7 years from retirement at age 47 I was forced to medically retire because of burn-out. Looking back, I should have gone back on disability before I reached that point. It was very hard at the end. Working for the Canadian Government made it easier for me to work as long as I did. You know what they say about civil servants, well sorry to say, I was one of those at the end. I was not a good employee, as a matter of fact, my boss was seeing how hard it was for me at the end and he suggested I look into early retirement. If he hadnt, I would have gone until 55. Thank God he saw my struggles and gave me a way out. I have no suggestions for you. Only you know how hard it is for you. Good luck to you in whatever you decide to do. BTW welcome back.

mc

• 5 months later...

Hi Michael,

I had a Thromboic Stroke on Dec. 10, 2006. I can walk with a four pronged cane. I also drive too. But I got a speeding ticket last year. Any way that what happened to me.

Bruce Schwentker

Hi . I returned to work within a year of having the stroke. I worked 20 years with the type of problems you mentioned. I pushed myself because, to me, I had no choice, I needed to work and at 30, I was too young to retire. 20 years post, I was forced to retire because of burn-out. I should have retired sooner but I was pig-headed and wanted to work until retirement at age 55. As it is I was 7 years shy of that but I was able to retire with full pension because of disability at age 50, I stopped working 2 years before that on sick leave. It was not easy but you are thew only one who knows how much you can do. I would talk to your boss and see if you could work out something like working part time for a while or maybe do something that doesnt require as much effort to you. Good luck to you.

mc

i am 4 months post ishemic stroke cerebellum

my company still has the pup truck parked in my driveway in hopes i will return.

i have not made up my mind yet because over time new challenges come.

I am dealing with sleep issues now. prestroke i could sleep anywhere any time. now i wake up after a couple of hours steering at the ceiling.

I am dizzy but with no other deficits. the dizziness is not constant but it changes. bad days more dizzy.

i also have some memory issues. i will try some memory games as well. good idea

Anyway please keep us posted on what u do and how u r doing.

the best of luck

kevin

I'm 14+ years out from a bilateral brain bleed, and haven't been able to go back to work at all. Memory and vision problems plague me too. There are a lot of sites on the web to help with memory; vision problems I have left to my eye docs.

Susan :hug:

• 1 month later...

I am 23 and had my stroke 1 1/2 year ago. I made the huge mistake of returning to work 2 days after I got out of the hospital. (which was a total of 5 days after my stoke) That was a HORRIBLE idea. At that point I didn't realise everything that had changed because of the stroke! I was amazed at how long it can take to realise what's changed, and what still works. I regret going to work so soon, but I was afraid that if I didn't go back right away, then I would get depressed and never go back. I really wish I would have given myself a bit more time to heal and get a better grasp of things.

Then, last year, I started working 2 jobs, 50 hours a week total. Another huge mistake! I pushed myself too hard, and now I can only work 20 hours a week and am currently applying for SSDI. I have significant weakness in my right leg, which is taking a huge toll on my foot. Just though I'd share a little on the work topic, don't know if it's any help to anyone. Thanks for listening. :yadayada:

------Nicki

Hi Michael. I worked for 20 years post stroke, with the deficits you mention, but unlike you I didnt question how I felt and left it too long. At 20 years post, I had to quit because I got Burn-out. Its not the end of the world. You gave it the old college try and should be proud of that. Dont let it go too long and dont try to go until you are at the end of your rope. It is much harder to come back when you are that low. The longer you force yourself the stronger the deficits manifest themselves. Good luck in your decision. No matter what you choose to do, we at StrokeNet have your back and we are here to support you.

mc

• 3 weeks later...
Dear Michael:

Is your job real stressful? Have you thought possibly going out on short term disability and see how you do, then go back and if the problem still presents itself, go out on long term disability? I feel the best thing to do is speak with your supervisor and physician. I know when I was having problems, I took medical leave then after speaking with my physician went back and tried working with shorter hours. Didn't do well, so went on disability. Wasn't able to work again. This was with my Muscular Dystrophy.

I wish you well and hope things work out good for you.

I'm going to go back on disability for now and work part time which is what I should have done in the first place. I am alao working with my state's Office of Vocational Rehabilitation in trying to get into another job. I need to find something that doesn't have so much multi-tasking because my brain cannot do that anymore. I'm also considering going to a local trade school and studying medical coding and billing. After talking to a coder at a local hospital I think I can do that kind of work.

Hi Michael. I am 26 years post and I went back to work within the year of the stroke. I worked for 20 years with the problems you mention until I suffered a burn out and I was forced to take early retirement after long term disability. Sometimes these deficits just dont go away. Sorry I am no help but I never found the cure myself. You might try to find work in another field that would be less demanding on you. Good luck to you whatever you decide.

mc

• 1 month later...

Hi Michael,

I had a right sided bleed on July1,1997. I was already retiered at the time so I had no choice to make. Since then I have hosted chats at strokenet and read but have had memory problems and am tired all the time, If I had to work full time I don't think I could have done so If your boss or doctor can help you get disablity That is a good thing to aim for.I got SS the hard way,by getting old. I hope you can find an accecptable solution to your problem. Best of luck.

hoststephen

• 4 weeks later...

My name is Bill, and I had my left hemisphere stroke back in 2003. Prior to that time I was a high school principal in Lubbock Texas. My stroke forced my retirement. I have worked with the Dept. of human services, to try and find a job to do, but I cannot seem to maintain anything for very long. I would still like to go back to work and do something useful, but I may have to suffice with doing yard work around my house.

I wish you and all of the other users the best of luck in trying to regain what you might've had before the stroke. It is a long and hard process, and for most of us we will never be who we were before. But that does not mean we cannot be something great again.

hi michael. I think donna is absolutely right.

Start with something with few hours and low stress levels- you can even try volunteering, then 'level-up' in stages at a point that's challenging, but not intimidating- Good Luck!

anna

hi michael, no i haven"t been in your situation, i wish that i could work but i can"t but if you are working and find that it is difficulty to do your job but would like to continue you should ask your boss if your boss could give you something that would not involved so many hours or a very less stressful job , and i am sure that if you feel good about what you are doing that you will do a great job i hope that things will work out for you in your life all the best to you

Hi Michael, I am 26 years post. I went back to work within a year of my stroke and I had all the deficits that you mention. I persisted and worked for 20 years until I had to quit because of a burn-out. I should have gone back on disability way before I did. The burn-out didn't give me a choice. The body has a way to tell you when you've had enough. I have no words of wisdom for you. Talk to your doc and explain to him/her what you are going through and he/she might suggest what you should do. Anyways you will need his/her help to go back on disability. Good luck in whatever you decide to do,

mc

Hi Michael. Im only a year and change post but no way could I go back. I have balance issues along with double vision. Do only what you can do.You-Rock.gif

The fact that you have been working for the past three years is a major accomplishment and a tribute to your resilience and tenacity. I hope that I can be as tough and resilient as you are.

I am about 18 months post stroke and have returned to work about a year ago. It continues to be difficult and painful and there are still many things I cannot do well or with full independence. My driving ability is limited and I do require someone to drive me for any significant distance. Carrying any equipment that I need for work is clearly not an option for someone who waddles with a cane as I do. When I go to a job, I require someone to go with me to provide this assistance. This inability on my part is crushing but I take comfort in viewing it as yet another survival strategy. Instead of my being a small business of one, I now require an assistant if I am to be able to work at all. So far, this model has worked. I may have to work harder now than ever before to get things done and no question that everything takes longer..... but it does get done and I have been able to hold my own. As for multitasking, organizing and the like, it remains a battle but I have not lost the fight. There are some days and weeks which are better than others. There are intermittent periods of time where my cognitive abilities are limited as are those occasional days when I have the wherewithal to accomplish anything. Fatigue is my biggest impediment right now. I just never know when I’ll have the energy to do what I need to do. A reality I have come to accept this past year is that the more I force myself to do, the more I am ultimately able to do. Regardless, I wish my life would be easier and less of a day-to-day struggle. There are still many of those days where all I can and want to do is sleep. Then there is that other reality that I really don’t have a choice but to try.

Hang in there.

Archived