TIREDNESS

BOY, I STILL CANT GET OVER HOW TIRED YOU GET AFTER A STROKE! ITS BEEN 20 MONTHS AND I TILL GET TIRED. I USUALLY GET 8 HOURS OF SLEEP THEN RISE GO YO THE BATHROOM, MAKE YOUR COFFE, REST. YOU TAKE YOUR SHOWER, DRES, REST. EAT BREAKFAST, DO THE DISHES AND REST AGAIN.YOU PROBABLY GET THE PICTURE!! I REST WHEN NEEDED AND IM PROBABLY A LITTLE NOW THAT I DONT HAV TO RUN IN 50 DIRECTIONS BOY WHEN I DID RUN YOU DIDNT THINK OF RESTING YOU JUST WENT OH WELL TIME TO EAT LUNCH THEN ..............REST MAYBE ILL WATCH THE SOAP OPERAS. PATTY

Patty,

The fatigue is unbelievabe. I am a caretaker and William is always needing to rest. Our schedule is much like yours. Punctuated with lots of rests. I tell William that rest is you your brain heals. It is a necessary evil. I am triying to figure out a way to increase stamina. BUt, i don't know what that special thing is yet.

Have a wonderful day.

One day maybe you and all stroke survivors will overcome that fatigue.

Ruth

Patty,

You are in the boat, great big ole boat, with the rest of us, the twin motors stopped working and all of us are paddling as fast as we can but not getting much closer to shore.

For you it's been 20 months, for me it's been 68 months, we are both still counting, maybe that's what's tiring us out? It comes with being a survivor, our brain, our nerves, our bodies require a good amount of rest every day God sends our way. I can do nothing and still be tired but now I try not to think about it other than I need to take a break and rest my brain.

It works for me and might work for you. We know the tiredness is coming just like the bus does to a bus stop. We just gotta be ready to catch it. When you feel it coming on, just say, OH, oh it's time for my break. Anything else you gotta do can wait. After all a woman's work is never done I'm told, it that true? :notworking:

Hi Patty......

In the beginning, it was that way continuously for me....I'm 21 months now.....

Then fatigue and I entered this screwball relationship...

There were days that were almost like normal.....

And then I'd have an attack of what I refer to as the 'tireds'.....

I would be back to the bit of activity, then rest, etc.....

I live without a caretaker, and all of the activities of just daily living I can accomplish, it's just that it takes a *lot* more work....

I'm not complaining....at one point during the in hospital rehab, they were seriously telling me I'd need to go to assisted living....

I said....tell me what I have to do to prove otherwise...And I did it.....

Anyway, I get these tired days, sometimes after a major effort like grocery shopping.....sometimes if have just gone through a stessful situation....

On those days I rest when I have to, just like before....

I suspect there will be another change in the fatigue battle, as time goes on, and I'll keep fighting it....

Keep plugging away....

Patty, yes it feels sometimes thats all we do is rest. Good for you that you are listening to your body and do rest because if you dont then its rest for weeks at a time. we dont want that. good luck on your recovery journey. It does get better and we dont need to rest that much.

mc

Patty,

Yes I feel tired most monings as I take medicine to make me sleepy. Then I'm good for most of the day until late at night.

Bruce Schwentker

Hi Patty,

All of us as stroke survivors are experts now on fatigue! It hits each of us differently just as the stroke itself has.

I have learned to let myself have a 'nap' or 'rest' time almost every afternoon. Listen to your body. Rest when you need to.

cuzlin

PATTY, I AM THE SAME WAY WITH FATIGUE TOO, ITS PART OF A STROKE I GUESS. MOST TIMES I TRY TO FIGHT IT IIF I HAVE THINGS I NEED TO DO, BUT OTHERWISE I NAP WHEN I CAN, EACH OF US NEED TO HANDLE IT OUR OWN WAYS. BUT MC WAS CORRECT IN LISTENING TO OUR BODIES. I LOVE TO SLEEP, LOL I GET TIRED AFTER JUST AFTER TAKING A SHOWER AND DRESSING. HOPEFULLY IT WILL DISSOLVE ITSELF WITH MORE TIME. ALTHOUGH ITS BEEN 7YEARS. WELL MAYBE IT WON'T. I RELATE IT TO WHAT A THERAPIST TOLD ME ONCE THAT IT TAKES SURVIVORS 3 TIMES THE STRENGTH TO DO ANYTHING THAN AN NON-STROKER, SO WE ARE USING MORE ENERGY AND IT WEARS US OUT. THATS MY STORY AND I'M STICKING TO IT. LOL

Patty,

At 4 1/2 years post, I still have days where I feel like a limp noodle. I've learned to gice in on those days and rest. If I keep pushing, I'll end up falling...I don't need a broken hip to add to my excitement.

My stamina has improved over time.

Fatigue is definitely an unwelcome part of stroke. I am 29 months from stroking and there are some days when all I feel like doing is resting. I watch our just over a year old grandson two days a week from 7:30 am until almost 6 pm and on those evenings, I make it just to the comfortable lounge chair. I keep telling myself I must be improving though if I can keep up with him for that long a period of time. He keeps me on my toes.

But, fatigue is definitely part of the recovery process.

I get really tired too (my last stroke was only in March) and I'm getting used to the fatigue now. some days are better than others

I get really tired too (my last stroke was only in March) and I'm getting used to the fatigue now. some days are better than others

ditto. Not about the stroke but the tiredness. We have a running joke in my house. I'll tell my husband I'm getting dressed or making the bed. He'll wait 20 mins or so and come upstairs and I'm wrapped in the blankets sound a sleep.This normally happens every day I dont have therapy. Now He's home.. Not so much

Boy, I love this site just for general information like fatigue. At least once a week I have one day where I don't feel like doing anything at all, even though I slept well the night before. I was wondering what in the world was wrong. It never occurred to me that my brain was telling me to just rest and give it a break. My schedule is reasonably active since on Tuesday and Thursday evenings I play cards from 6:30 until 10:00pm not to mention that my physical therapist comes on those same days in the early afternoon. On Wednesday and Thursday I attend a hustle class (dance) from 5:30 to 6:30 and I also volunteer with the Retired Senior Volunteer Program on Tuesday and Friday mornings to call people who have been forgotten. I do these things in addition to walking a mile around the park twice a week, grocery shopping, fixing my own meals, cleaning up, driving to do all my errands, :yadayada: :yadayada: :yadayada: so I guess my brain does need some rest and simply takes it since I don't have sense enough to realize it. Now I know why sometimes in the early evening (about once a week again), I just can't keep awake so I just have to take a nap. Thanks everybody I'll just listen to my brain now.

I wish I knew the answer but 3 years 4 months in I am incredibly fatigued each day. I do manage to push myself thru the day but I assume I get a cardiovascular workout each day just by doing my normal living tasks. I had a physical 2 months ago and my resting heart rate was 53 which for my age of 53 puts me into the athlete category. So my doctor asked what I was doing for exercise and I told her I haven't done any cardio workouts for the past three years. It is all very depressing, I don't think I could be in better shape and I thought that getting into shape would alleviate the fatigue. :Dr_Evil:

Dean

Patty,

I still can't get over how all of our strokes are different AND similar. I am 2years and 5 months past stroking and I still have to answer my body's call for rest. It is not as bad as in the beginning...That was UNBELIEVABLE. But, I still retreat to bed after something like washing the dinner dishes. It is definitely better now, but my brain is still in charge of what I do. Keep listening to yours and good luck.

Greta

• 2 weeks later...

:Zzzz: Oh excuse me :hiya: just wanted to get my vote in ..... I'm in the Boat that Fred is driving. My situation is a little different, however, as I have a form of Muscular Dystrophy. Mine has as its symptoms extreme fatigue, etc. It's amazing when I look back at my life and how I could work two jobs, bowl in three leagues a week, go out dancing over the weekend. Now, wow, just such a difference.

I do know, however, now when I do have a good day, I always, it seems, over do because I don't know when I will get a good day again.

It is a live and learn process for me.

I AM 2 1/2 YEARS POST-STROKE.ISLEEP 9-10 AND OFTEN :Zzzz: 12 hours every night. If I lay down midday---I'm snoozin'-so I try not to do that during the day. Think about how much effort it takes every day to just get around and function....Life is not easier ------ :yeahrite: --------now it's infinitely more of a struggle---it's just downright exhausting.. :nuts: .SO----sleep! It's AN important PART to :bop: :silly: healing !!! RESTyour BR :Zzzz: AIN!!! :rolleyes: !!!

I don't know if any of you have migraine related strokes but I had my 4th "spell" of dizziness that has left me weak, wobbly, and TIRED...nearly setting me back to where I was with my 3rd stroke in 2006. I have been able to take care of my household fairly well until now. Does anyone know if rest is the only cure for this..like everyone is telling me?

• 3 weeks later...

Geez Great thread

I was wondering what the heck is going on? I'm only on my 5th month (stroked May 07, 2009. I've virtually overcome my physical disability (Spasticity on left side) by performing low intensity workouts everyday and have recently started jogging and cycling 15 to 30 minutes each morning to increae my stamina but it doesn't seem to be helping, I could sleep most of the day. I try not to cause I was expecting to go back to work in late November. Driving in traffic wears me down so not really sure how I expect to work but that's my goal. As I draw closer to that date I'm beginning to have my doubts. Thanks

Colin

• 4 weeks later...

Patty, Dealing with the fatigue has been one of the hardest aspects of my stroke recovery. In my pre-stroke life, I jusrt pushed myself to finish something. Now I need to plan on breaks (and everything takes longer) and not letting myself get too tired. My walking degenerates quickly and I get really emotional when I get tired. Now I follow the advice or at least I try "over prepare then just go with the flow".

hi paddy, not to worry after you have had a stroke, in order for your brain to heal and make new connection your brain functions best on lots of sleepso it is pretty common to be tired i fall asleep all of the time with the t.v. onand i am sitting

HI... THANKS FOR ALL YOUR REPLYS! EVEN TODAY , BLACK FRI, MY HUBBY WAS LIKE OK, TAKE YOUR SHOWER. EAT AND GET DRESSED THAT WE CAN GO. I TELL HIM DON T STRESS ME AND MAKE ME RUSH, I CAN T DO THAT ANYMORE. HE JUST LAUGHED AND DID OTHER THINGS TIL I GOT READY, ABOUT 1 HOUR. BUT I DO REST QUITE OFTEN OR WHEN NEEDED. NAPS THOUGH, I HAVEN T TAKEN 1 IN MONTH.I NOTICE I CAN T JUST SIT FOR LONG PERIODS OF TIME CAUSE I GET ANTSY OR STIFF, SO I GET UP AND WALK..THANKS AGAIN!!!! PATTY

Hi Patty,

For me it has improved, however it's still there. (I went to my MIL's for dinner yesterday; I'm toast today!!) I think the key is be good to yourself!!

Susan :Neeeedsleeep:

Wow! Another thread I can relate to. With a lot of my residual effects, and the daily issues I'm dealing with, I thought I was the only one going through all of this. I get tired just thinking of everything I have to do, so nothing gets done. lol This morning I changed things a bit though. I got up and dressed, then I went to the living room and did some stretching. After that I ate breakfast. Now I'm so tired, and I want to go back to sleep. Here I've thought for all these years that I was just lazy. I don't take a shower every day either, because if I did, that's all I'd get done for the day. Now I know it isn't just all in my head, and that it is real. Thank you Patty for putting this thread on here. :)

Patty, I'm tired all the time. After 4 years I just have accepted it.

Jeanniebean

Archived