TIREDNESS

oh patty, can i everrelate, i am tired all of the time, and i sleep alot, never use to be that way, but i can assure you that that is your stroke, but i must warn you patty, when you get tired don"t eat, when you are tirede it will cause weight gain, and that will not be caused from the stroke, nothing to worry just your brain telling you that your brain needs a rest

Hi Patty

I stroked 17 months ago and from what I see all strokes are different. I get very tired but not sleepy. By 6:00pm I usually quit for the day and just rest. As everyone else has said being fatigued all the time is normal. My wife was a nurse and she thought of something that kind of makes sense. She said you have nerve and blood flow problems to half of your body. Could your thyroid be affected by the stroke? I have a doctors appoint next week and will ask the doctor that question. My wife also said that there are two different thyroid test and to ask for the better test. Has anyone else had a thyroid test done?

Glenn

:huh:

I have Glenn. My thyroid is in the toilet. Actually a lot of things were. I was on some different medications, as this was found by a naturalist, but I haven't had the resources to continue with that particular doctor or the medications he had me on, because he didn't accept Medicare. :( I don't know if that's in direct relation to the strokes I've had though.

Its a nightmare no matter how much sleep you get your tired, there is no getting away from it!!!! but the hard part is trying to get peopl to understand just how bad it can be, i mean its not just tired a quick yawn and a stretch tired is it? .......... its a "im b.....y exhausted tired" ha ha ha and nobody but another stroke survivour can understand just how bad it really is!!!! so i suggest in my humble opinion, being a year on from my first stroke 6 months from the 2nd quickly try to get things done in the morning!!! get a cup of tea and put your feet up, then just do little bits in the afternoon, if it becomes too much go and lie down and rest and if it becomes to much then leave it, it can wait, because at the end of the day its not going anywhere and what is more important you or the mess!!!!! dont do too much you will just make yourself ill or if your like me!!! will end up bringing on a second stroke which will be bigger and much worse than the first one!!!!

Patty,

It has only been 20 months for you. It has been over 12 years for me and I am still tred all the time. There is nothing wrong with taking a nap when you feel you need one.

hoststephen

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Everyone,

Unfortunately this is my fifth stroke and I am so very, very tired. The doctors cannot figure out why I am having strokes as all my cholesterol and other numbers are great. I have never smoked or drank but I have had five strokes since turning 50 and I am 54. The problem of being exhausted is beyond extreme and with each stroke I get more tired. Also has anyone ever had restless leg as each stroke my legs get worse. They are not sure if it is restless leg since my mother has Parkinsons Disease and it is just in her legs so far and they think it might be Parkinsons in my legs too. What I don't understand as most doctors where I live here in Maryland don't understand why I am so tired and yet here on the stroke board everyone can relate how tiresome they are. I also have lupus and now they think I also have Chronic Fatigue Syndrome. I sleep at least 14 hours a day not counting the naps I take in between. Just getting my shower wears me out. My husband is my caregiver since he is home now all the time since he is retired. I don't know what I would do without him. My strokes have always affected my speech and the right side of my body. Thankfully the speech has come back. I always tell my husband I can't talk without my hands, trying to lighten the situation. I am very concerned when they cannot find the cause of the strokes but yet 5 in 5 years is bad. They are now switching me from Plavix to coumadin and I had to have Lovenox shots to tide me while doing the transition. I need a 100 oars to move my boat an inch and I have been through this before but each time I am more tired but don't know why. I like coming to the board as I never feel alone when everyone here undestands what I am going through. I started when I had the first stroke and have come everytime as soon as my hands work good enough to key and it also helps to practice my keying. Thanks for sharing everyone as it does help so much!

oh yes patty, i agree with you after my stroke it seems that i am tired all of the time, but patty i am sure that it is because of the stroke because to do anything takes alot of effort for you more so for you since you have had a stroke but i can insure you patty that you are not alone in your search for a myst needed rest , and yes patty i have had 2 strokes before and it was a blood clot as well but luckily it was oon the same place so i didn"t appear any defficit, but i now take warfarin in oprder to un clot my blood and it has work i haven"t had a stroke in 9 years so maybe you could ask your doctor if it could be caused by a blood clot good luck patty on your search for the cause of your stroke

I am tired all the time but I will not give in to the exhaustion. I cant i I am a firm believer that the only way to achieve is to do. I find that I have to Push past the need to give in to weakness etc In other words I will not allow this stroke to take away what life I have managed to claim for myself. Of course that only goes so far and I find myself in constant battle with the side that resents the implication that I am not trying hard enoug when there are things my body just cannot feel or do. Trust me I do understand Karen

• 2 weeks later...

hey patty, no wonder your tired, iyou have a very busy schdule, and when you have a stroke , you need even more sleep that is how you function best is by getting more rest patty, so don"t feel bad about being fatigue or tired all the time just get lots of rest so when you watch telivision you can feel more relax and enjoy the shoews, i am tired as well but it is a good tired because like you i feel that i have earned a good sleep , well all the best to you patty and i was about to say work hard but i am afraid, that you might just wear yourself out lolgood luck patty, and don"t worry about how tired you are getting all of the strolke surviver gets tired as well just keep on doing the great job you are doing patty

Hi,

I cannot imagine having a baby to keep up with plus working. I am more exhausted than ever after having my second major stroke on December 8, 2009. I had my first 2007 and three tia's in between. I am doing a lot of heavy resting and sleeping as I am purely exhausted. I do have hypothyrodism and lupus, along with fibromyalgia and chronic fatigue syndrome. After having my first stroke and being tired I understood more this second time, but this time I am so much more fatigued. Thank goodness my husband is my caretaker and he is so wonderful. He lets me try and doesn't interfere but is there for me to take over when I need to rest. He senses when I get tired and he just is never pushy and knows I am trying to recover and that it takes a lot of rest as he went through it with my other stroke. This tired is a different kind of tired. Anyone who has had a stroke knows it is a different kind of tired than you can know. It would be nice some day to be able to wake up and say I really feel good and that I had a great night's rest. It is really different. I have a good day once in a while and learn not to over do it because I know if I do I will need to rest more to try to recover from overdoing it. I have to spread out my energy bank as muh as possible. I hope everyone is doing well and take care of yourselves as only you know how you feel and don't let anyone tell you how you should feel or how tired you should be. Tell them until they are in your situation they have no idea how it is only people here on the stroke board know what it is like. That is why I like to come to the stroke board as we all have so much in common. Take care everyone and be good to yourselves

Archived