Need some answers so confused

pal

Four weeks ago husband had every sign of another stroke. He is 2 years post right thalmic stroke and been doing really well. He had been working in the heat for 5 days and pushing himself. He started to go numb in his left side of his face and started to drool.arm became tight. If you can belive this he drove to urgent care to get checked out!! They sent him to hospital,did a cat scan, and transported to Kaiser for further tests. Anyway he never got an MRI intell 3 weeks later. We saw his nero on Friday and the MRI showed nothing. Also he said that his first stroke must have been small because the is no sign left on the MRI! I am so confussed and have tried to get answers. The Dr. said we will wait and see. Hugh? He was stumped and said he would get back to us as he needed to think about why his face is more numb and arm is tighter than before this last episoide. Called us back in 1 hour and said wait and see. I need answers. I have been searching for days ....maybe TIA? He couldnt say because MRI was clean. Can some one please leand a comment. Thank You Stressed Out Wife

I can understand your stress. I would push the MD for another consult. You really do want to know and I am not sure that I would feel comfortable just waiting.

I don't know how kaiser works. But, see about a consult.

Ruth

Pal,I;m glad he is ok. But why did he drive himself to urgent care? That is nuts. If you could not drive him and he thought having another stroke

call 911? I'm not judgeing. Just thoughts are going threw my mind.As for me

Dr. can only tell you what he sees in the MRI. hopefully he (Dr.) consults with other Drs. about your husband warning signs of another stroke.

As for my stroke story, My first stroke silent in 2001, second 2005 Ischemic. My husband stoked 2007 ischemic stroke. We live day to day

being aware of the symptoms. After all our bodies our an illusion as this world is also. Because I am Spirit. My faith is my strength.

Jeanniebean

Jeanniebean...yep I agree nuts. He didnt think and didnt say anything to me. I had been sick and I was asleep so he decided to go to urgent care to make sure!! When I got up luckly I saw he had been on web page to the urgent care hours. I put two and two together and flew over their. He has played hero all along this process however thiis has given him a little reality slap, he is young 45. The nurse in ER really felt for me as she said you just cant control some people. she new how upset I was. Any way thanks for the replys.

Well Pal,

Get yourself together, try and get answers from those doctors. Strokes vary so much and can happen anytime for so many reasons until in your husband's case I can't lend a comment, I just don't know. One thing for sure something is going on in the brain even if no one can see it on the MRI.

My thoughts have always been, the person or doctors reading these images got to know what they are looking for. The doctors have told me they don't see anything different then here comes another in and sees everything. One doctor said, "OK, now I see that", which make me think he didn't know what he was looking to see in the first place.

hi pal, my thoughts are getting a second opinion or having a neurological radiologist read the xrays. tia's dont usually leave any residual deficits. i would'nt wait either, thats why so many people suffer a stroke from incompetent dr's , sorry but its true. the medical community needs to wake up and not ignore stroke symptoms. we know what we feel when going to the er. mri's and cat scans are'nt perfect and can miss things. especially after having 1 stroke already. if he gets any worse get to the er fast. i hope you get the answers you need soon. keep us posted on what you find out.

Hi Pal....

Its a man thing....It is hard to grasp anything is happening and I had the "Mighty Quinn" attitude. I drove home in my company car after having stroke#1, stroke#2 happened 10 minutes later. I grew up depending on no one but me. It could be just his background and "strong head"......

I agree it should not have been done at all and I agree that I was stupid and put others at risk. But you love him anyway I bet.....

Well, my wife's strokes (Plural, she had a lot...) were all missed too....until a better reader looked at them. Better machines see more detail for example.

The "Open" MRI's, for claustrophobics, etc...do NOT have the resolution of the traditional MRI's for example.

Anyway - when its hot, as it was for your husband...it seems to set off SEIZURES that MIMIC the stroke symptoms.

So - Without a new stroke....the seizure SYMPTOMS looked JUST LIKE the strokes'.

Food for thought.

:D

Thank you for all your replies. Yes his nero did explain that with extreme heat the blood does slow down in the brain. We are keeping an eye on everything and I am not sure if a second opinion is the right thing to do because the staff at the hospital was telling us that we have there best nero,we our in this Kaiser merry-go-round and I think running to different doctors in the same group could become a problem. Now in a perfect world I would love to go to UCLA for a complete work up. I'm working on it. Saw a fantastic social worker today she works with stroke and brain injured patients. She is a huge help I let her know we need answers. She talked to us and will be seeing husband for 6 sessions because he is so depressed. I cant get him out of the pit, I think he is so lost right now. This is the worst time of our lives as we are losing everything and he is only 45. A very sad time and we are just barely holding on. The one thing is they have really pushed the Plavix. He also needs to take better care he is a very stubborn man and will not listen to me. For the sake of the marriage I have had to back off. He hates me telling him what to do. Thank you everyone for your input it helps to go somewhere where people get all this.

Pal

Hi Pal...

I'm gald yopu have gotten so many answers to your questions. I'm glad you found our sight. Isn't it great? I wish you all the best to come your way.

Bruce Schwentker

Archived