Dad

cinder

Hi Everyone,

I just got an e-mail from Cinder. She's been very busy taking care of her dad. He's had a few problems physcially and she's pretty tired but pleased with his mental outlook. Here's a small quote from her message:

"Dad is doing very well, and his mood and outlook seem to be maintaining these days. I hope it continues. He is relaxing in between all the things I do to him, and I find him looking out the windows a lot. Just watching the season change. He seems peaceful...."

Just thought you'd all like an update on Cinder and her dad since she doesn't have much time to get here these days to give one herself.

Jean

• Replies 310
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks Jean!

Tell Cinder we miss her but we completely understand.

Kristen

• 2 weeks later...

Wow, Mom updates my thread and I don't have to be here or or nuttin'. lol

Thanks Jean, and thanks Kristen.

Dad is doing pretty well right now. He had an infection that is now dormant, and now a small ( I won't say ulcer) place that has appeared. His doc will call me tomorrow and talk about it. Lets hope that I can treat it here, and that it won't turn into anything other than what it is. A small...place.

When did all sores in my mind become ulcers? This is a little area that appears to be from all the BM cleaning that I do on Dad (Dad always has been full of crap). Anyway, I now am looking for one of those bio chemical things that hospitals use that breaks up..umm...stuff, then you can just wipe it away gently. Not that I was rough on him before, mind you. But now that I see this, I need to re-think what I'm doing, and how his skin reacts. I really hope that's all this is.

Dad had a suspected UTI last week, but his urinalysis came back as normal as it can with Dad. After the second bout with sepsis early this year and the full organ shut down, Dad's urine isn't really normal anymore. biggrin.gif It has high this and low that...but no sign of UTI junk. (that would be a high white count for those of you that make me type everything out).

He still needs a lot of suctioning, and he has an outer cannula change scheduled for tomorrow (full trach tube replacement). 2 weeks ago his feeding tube entry became inflamed, but I treated it and taped the tube down in a different position and it healed almost over night.

Anyway, lots of things to do with, and to Dad these days, but as Jean said, he's handling it all mentally, pretty well, considering the dementia and all. His doc is thinking of working with different meds to trigger more alertness and keep Dad more in the moment. He won't give me a definite though, that would be too easy. biggrin.gif

I've missed all of you. Support is still needed in Indiana apparently...lol

Cinder,

Good to hear from you again! All of us around here are going to join hands and chant you some support and maybe some thing to laugh at while we're at it. Thanks for the update!

Jean

Cinder, so good to hear from you, you are definately missed. Totally understand your priorities, but just know we think of you and we are always here for you.

There are some vaseline impregnated gauze, called Xerform, you can cut them to size. They are very good for skin abrasions.

Also they have new soft wipes..like the baby wipes..

Glad to hear your dad is doing mentally well and hope everything else heals properly and goes well.

pash.gifpash.gif virtual hugs to you

Bonnie

Hey Cinder!

I am glad you were able to stop by for a bit, it's always great to hear from you. And for Dad, I am sending positive energy your way. I hope it finds it's way through the corn stalks.

Aspen

Hey Cinder !

Just a note to let you know you are in my thoughts and prayers. Prayer is one of the things that keeps me going too. Sometimes I forget and ask God to let my actions be my prayer for the day. You are a good daughter, caregiver and friend to your dad.

MM

It was a stressful day for Dad. The nurse finally showed up to change his outer cannula (full trach replacement). She said she was the expert in her company for doing this in home, she said she knew what she was doing. She assured Dad that it would be over in a matter of seconds. What a liar.

OK, to be honest here, I like her. She has always appeared to be in control and she really does care about how Dad is doing. But

Hi Cinder,

You are one strong woman to be on this road with your dad! I loved my dad dearly but I'm not at all sure I could have done all the things for him that you are required to do in your dad.

I hope the women in your family get your day out tomorrow and that your dad gets a painless out patient procedure! Now get to bed and get some sleep!

Jean

Sorry for the traum to both you and your Dad, (and actually the nurse too). ALways hated it when something was SUPPOSED to be easy and painless and then you feel like a complete idiot..also I did procedures in the office so I could get a doctor in the room.

You are brave and a very loving daughter!

hope you get a day out and HAPPY BIRTDAY Cinder's MOM

When you come out WEST let me know!!!

Bonnie pash.gif

Hi Cinder,

You and dad are in my prayers. We miss you alot. Your dad is soooo lucky to have you as his rock.

best always,

Pat

Cinder, I highly applaud you and your concern for your father's health.

I read your post, I admire what you do for your dad. That is for sure, giving honor to your parents. I have to look at myself and be thankful my wife has done for me as you are doing for your dad.

My son and daughter, both married, and far away makes me glad to have my wife care for me as she does. I just don't know where I would be had it not been for her and the caring she has shown. I can't imagine me surviving in a long term facility or nursing home. I had enough in the hospital and rehab unit during the early stages of my recovery.

Hi Cinder,

It's great hearing from you again and to get the updates on your dad! We miss you here, especially in late night chat.

I want to rent you as an advocate when I have trouble getting stuff I need. But just remember.....there is always duck tape and it comes in all colors now, for those repair jobs when the medical supply people can't find the right parts to fill your needs.

pash.gif Jean

• 2 weeks later...

Dad is pretty much the same as the last time I posted. We have good mental days and bad. The bad days make me feel helpless. I can

Cinder so good to see you here. Was thinking of you and "dad" earlier tonight...."esp"??? There will be ups and downs as you well know and you are doing all (& I know More) than anyone could.

You know we are here for you and in our thoughts & hearts...

I like your new avitar..really cool....

Take care & pop in and keep us updated on you BOTH

best wishes my friend Bonnie cloud9.gif

Wow Cinder!

You've got a page 13 now!

While I am sure you are perfectly capable of removing the trech, and probably more capable than some professionals, you might want to hold out for the doctor. For some reason, they seem to frown upon people doing a medical procedure without a liscence. I know, PICKY PICKY PICKY.

I am glad to hear not much has changed, I'll happily take that. Remember to take care of yourself too, GET SOME REST whenever you need to and can. Little things like laundry and protecting your fortress from the attacks of wild beasts can wait until you're rested.

Take Care,

Kristen

Dad is doing well, physically. We finally got control of the place on his bottom. I used a skin barrier that I found at medical harmony.com. With that, it was the usual cleaning and positioning, and a dermashield bandage. Anyway, I am breathing a sigh of relief, to say the least.

I gave him a day of beauty yesterday. He got a haircut, pedicure, manicure

Hi Cinder,

When you get time, come on up to Michigan. I could use a day of beauty, too. Glad to hear that things---dad wise---are going well and thanks for keeping us updated. We miss you in the blog community and in late night chat but completely understand. Mark down the Chat Party on November 10th. If you can make it, all your friends will probably be there.

Jean

Hi Cinder Thanks for the update. There is a cream that is actually callede "Butt Paste" it was a compound made by a pharmacist. I think you can order it on line. It is used for babies bottoms mainly.

Glad things are going okay. Hope the nurse calls you soon...Does she have a back up or someone to call if you can't get her?

Good to hear from you!!!

pash.gif Bonnie

It was a rough day, following a rough night. Dad started vomiting very early this morning. His sugar spiked slightly, and come daytime, he also vomited up his pills. This alone was scary, but when I saw that he had very little urinary output, I

• 2 weeks later...

Since the last time I posted, Dad has made an ER trip (pulled feeding tube) and now has an ulcer. The ulcer is close to the spot of the original, and the one that followed a few months later.

I know everyone knows that I do all I can to stop this from occurring, but I feel guilty about it anyway. I guess it goes with the territory. That being said, I

Hi Cinder,

It sounds like you and your dad have had your hands full. I hope you're remembering to share the emotional stress of all this with your whole family. No one person can do it all and you're all in it together---don't ever loss sight of that. Also don't forget to come back here when you need the crew here at Strokenet. We give the best group hugs in cyber space.

pash.gifpash.gifpash.gifpash.gifpash.gifpash.gifpash.gifpash.gif

Jean

Cinder, sorry Dad has another ulcer.. Don't lose sight of the fact that you are doing the best possible. As we age our skin gets thinner and more fragile. I know you are looking into anything immanigable to prevent this.

You still make dad smile and you understand him that is what is important, and I know you are a great joy to him.

Hugs to you both,

Bonnie

Please know I wish the very best for you both....

Dad's ulcer is showing great improvement! It's still there, and he still has some pain, but I am breathing a sigh of relief that it looks like we will be able to continue treatment here at home, and bypass a hospital stay (and ensuing nightmare) all together. There has been a fight with sight infection, but it responds well to a topical antibiotic. Keep your fingers crossed. I am maintaining a Dermawound treatment (plenty of gauze) and re-positioning every 2 hours (in case anyone wants to know how we did it). I also increased his feeding, as nutrition goes hand in hand with healthy skin.

Dad seems more peaceful these days. He's not showing agitation and anxiety, which has been the norm for a couple of months now. I fear that the those feelings were from the pain of the ulcer, which had not yet made it's presence known, and Dad didn't know how to put what he felt into words. He just knew something was wrong. I wish I had.

I am decorating Dad's room this weekend for Christmas, which will be much better than the decorations that followed him floor to floor in the hospital and facilities last year. It's just a great gift for me today, to have my Dad here. I didn't think at this time last year, that it would happen. You go Dad!!

Archived