Xanax & Lexapro

LSL

Hi,

I have been on anti-depressants and anti-anxiety medication to help with my depression and anxiety. My Neurologist told me that when I get too stressed that it affects the weakest part of the body. In my case the weakest part of my body is my brain. I've had two strokes and too many mini-strokes to even count. At first I was told that I only neede the anti-depressants for a couple of years, that was in 2005. Now it's been 4 years, is that normal? My current doctor is telling me that he thinks that I still need the anti-depressants. I guess I'm just wondering if anyone else has had to be on these kinds of medications for long periods of time too. I'm still having the mini-strokes, and it is frustrating. Any comments are welcome.

Thank you,

LSL

Hi there: Just a thought, have your Dr's ever suggested you try Pain Management?

My Dr's don't like to give those types of meds out as people can get to use them as a "Crutch"

What I do is have a massage, things like that. That truly helps destress me big time.

I listen to soothing music and I go down to the water and sit and reflect. I try to do things to uplift me and my spirits. My Harley Boy is my biggest healer. :) :friends:

My Dr's do give me them when I truly need them as now with all the pain I am having with my feet. I have severe pain there and they are working on what is going on. I live in constant pain ever since my stroke with my feet. Massage helps me greatly.

I sure hope you can find the answers you are searching. Just hang in there. I know there are answers out there.

Just keep visiting us. We truly care about you.

I try to live each day as if it is like any other one. I know when I first had my Brain Stem Stroke and other strokes, I was afraid to live at all. Like when I awoke, I would think, Am I going to have one today. But, I had to stop that negative thinking. I don't know from day to day what my life is going to bring me. It is hard, but, DSL, I know you can be free from that and just enjoy your life.

I am going to keep you in my thoughts and prayers. Keep fighting the BIG FIGHT.....

I have read here where members are taking those two meds, some for seizures. I take citalopram but not regular cause I don't think I need it for what they say I got.

I'm on Zanax for 4 years now and I know I need to be on them. But I too get massages, do re birthing breathing and meditation. I believe in my faith but when the obvious is apparent signs are seen, a little magic is inquired. If it bothers know you that your on these medicines inquire with your doctor why are you on these. Let the doctors know you feel that you are not depress or for what ever they gave you at the beginning. My belief is we don't require our doctors to slow down and explain the reasoning behind a medication, the effects combining with the other medications we are taking. Since we hopefully are not seeing are doctors every week to report are problems to them, get a note book and write down your list of problems or happenings. This way what ever doctor you going to see you have the question ready and you can ask every doctor the same question and get the opions of all. I refuse to let a doctor treat me like in and out and on to the next person. It's you time and your dime.

Welcome to are cyberspace family.. Attitude/Gratitude

I as well take citalopram 30 mg a day. I've been on them for a year. My doctor and I have spoken about me going off of them. My doctor advised that there can be a rebound affect from being taken off them if they are needed with the retuirn of depression being worse than what it was iniitially.

Perhaps you can speak with your doctor about slowly reducing your dosage to wean you off of it as well as developing successful techniques for you to reduce any depressive thoughts.

One of my problems, and one of the reasons I believe they still have me on the medication is because I have spontaneous panic attacks. I'll even have them during the night while I'm sleeping, and they wake me up in panic mode. My heart will be pounding really hard, and I'll feel out of breath. And I've been having more headaches lately. My doctor told me to just take Ibuprofen for the headaches. Sometimes they help and sometimes they don't. It's like hit and miss. I know my doctor feels I still need to be on the medications, because I've asked him about it. I understand why he wants me to continue on them, I just didn't know if other people were being kept on these two meds for long periods of time. I appreciate your replies. I don't feel so alone when I'm on here, so thank you.

LSL

Hi LSL, I also have Xanax (alprazolam) I take one and a half before bedtime. I can take 1/2 to 1 tablet during the day if I need to. I take them about an hr or so before bedtime.. it helps my mind turn down for sleep. Sometimes if I am around a lot of people or anxious I take 1/2 during the day.

I am also on an anti-depressant, it also helps to adjust your internal sleep clock, and it helps with some central nerve pain .. I have been on it about 3 or 4 yrs..

many times with brain injury.. the little bridges that help send emotional signals, and the seronotin and other "brain chemicals" are interrupted from the injury to our brain during sroke. So the anti-depressants help with mood and getting enough brain chemicals..:)

Bonnie.

hi again lisa, i replied to your other post before reading this one. i have been on antidepressants since my stroke 7years ago, i also am on a mild tranquillizer i take at bedtime and a mood elevator which really helps me. i feel more motivated and happier about my life. i had to try several antidepressants before i found the right one for me. maybe yours need changed or dosage changed. why do you continue to have these ministrokes TIA'S. i would be questioning my dr about that. be an advocate for your healthcare, ask questions demand answers that you can understand. don't let the medical community walk all over you. speak up and get help. they are not happening for no reason. i am no dr but i think you need to be on something to help you. find another dr, if you are not happy with the one you have, you are paying him/her after all. good luck and keep us updated on how you are doing.

Hi Lisa....

I have been on antidepressant since day of my stroke...First Lexapro, and then switched to its generic predecessor citalopram, so I could prevent Big Pharma from getting *too* rich on me...<G>....!

It almost seems to be SOP for surviving a stroke...

I also take diazepam as needed for leg jerks by my affected leg, but not on a continuous basis...

The depression rebound is a very common response to discontinuing abruptly many of the antidepressants...

I'm a few months short of two years post stroke, and I did query my Doc about discontinuing the antidepressant...Though I'm not having panic attacks or anything like that, he advised that I continue, and so I have....

I am gonna do a research on antidepressant side effects, citalopram in particular, for my next visit, and mention to him again, noting any of them I think are present...

Kimmie's spot on....do your research about things as completely as you can, so you can set up a dialogue with your Doc(s)....

I've found them appreciative of being a informed advocate for your health.....

Care...

I've been on antidepressant (Prozac) for 7 yrs. I was severely depressed with the thought of suicide.

Since I was on the med, my depression went away complwtely. I've been on happy mood since then. I've never thought of stopping the med and my doc encouraged me to keep taking the med.

But my big problem is with the antianxiety med (Xanax). I've been taking it for six years. It is really magical med though it has narcotic effects. If u take it too much for too long, u'll get addicted to it. That idea constantly bothered me. When i asked my doc if it's really ok to take it this long, he said the amount 0.25mg/day I'm taking is the minimal amount and it wouldn't cause any problem.

The reason I began the med was that I had severe body shaking right after I was under big physical or mental stress to the extent that I can't even drink or eat not to speak of holding a glass of water.

The doc immediately let me take two tablets of Xanax and in 30 min, the shaking stopped. Thereafter, my doctor ordered me to take one tablet [0.25 mg] once a day indefinitely. He advised me to take two or three tablets whenever I have the shaking episode. Once in a while, I had the shaking episode and the med worked mitracle. I used to take just two tablets plus the regular dosage of one tablet and the shaking stopped in lerss than 30 minutes. Some time ago I found two tablets wouldn't work so increased to three tablets Recently I found even three tablets didn't completely stop the shaking. I might have to increase the dosage again. I'm afraid that I have already been sddicted to this med. I'm going to visit a neurologist for consultation with this issue one of these days.

Try not to be upset about it, you are certainly not alone. Narcotics are notorious for dependency; I just stopped taking a pain-killer because doubling-up started not to work and I was unwilling to increase the dosage yet again. Maybe a change in medication would be appropriate, yet I would think after a while you might run into a similar problem. Time to talk with your doc!!

Susan :)

Hi Susan, Lisa...

Lisa....fortunately, neither of the topic meds are narcotics.....

Lexapro is escitalopram, and Xanax is alprazolam.....The first is serotonin uptake, the second is a benzodiazipine....

Lexapro can have the rebound effect when dicontinued abruptly, i.e. depression....

If Xanax is taken long enough and high enough dosage, not only can it have a rebound anxiety effect, but there can be withdrawal symptoms....

Definitely talk to your Doc before changing your regimen....

Narcotic painkillers are famous for their addictive effects... And rightly so.....If used regularly fro a period of time, the body can develop tolerance to them, and they have to be stronger to have the same effect that they had....

The problem in the stopping usage of them is severe withdrawal effects...Street slang is "having the joneses" or "jonesing"....

Must be pretty common, I saw the phrase used in a "House" episode...<G>....

The best thing to do, again, is talk to your Doc about your concerns....

Care,

• 1 month later...

Hi again. I know that Xanax isn't a narcotic, because I am allergic to all narcotics. I would've been having terrible reactions to them if they contained even a little. With my recent episodes with more TIA's and depression, and can see why the doctor still has me on these meds. If I had to go into the ER each time I had a TIA, I would be in terrible hospital debt. Of course, I never know when one will hit, and I've even had them hit after taking my regular dose of Xanax. My stress level was getting way out of control again, and I'm back to trying to overcome it once again. Whenever I go into the ER, because I can't get my headache's or TIA's under control, they give me a shot of Ativan. Within 10-15 minutes I can talk normally, and my headache will be gone. My doctor tried to give me the Ativan in pill form, but it didn't have the same control over my TIA's as Xanax did. So, the doctor resumed the Xanax again. I take 1 mg of Xanax 3 times a day. There are some days when I feel pretty good, so I only take 2 pills. Lately though, I've had more down/stressful days, so I've had to keep with the 3 pills per day. As long as I don't have as many TIA's, I know that the medicine is working, and I'm decreasing the chances for more brain damage.

Right now I'm all about coping day-to-day. I realize that without the medication I wouldn't be able to manage my stress. So, for now I'm going to stay the course, and take things one day at a time. I do appreciate your post's and comments. As I've read more on here I feel more at ease, and I'm ready to accept my limitations. I'll do as much as I'm capable of, which at the moment isn't much, but I refuse to give up!!!

I wish all of you a Happy Holiday Season! :)

Thank you,

Lisa

I take extended release Xanax. (1 mg in the morning and 2 mg at night.) Twice a day. Dosage is higher at bedtime. After my BSS one of my deficiets is anxiety. Extreame anxiety. I have trouble with noise and crowds. My work place is very loud and fast paced. I have basically been on this medication for a little over two years. I don't like it but it's part of my reality. Without it I would be unable to return to work and my quality of life would be severely effected. Sometimes even the Xanax is not enough and I have a prescription for Ativan when needed.

Terry

I'm on both!?!?

I'm on the extended release Xanax also Terry. A bit more expensive, as Medicare doesn't cover anything in this drug family, but it has been worth it for me.

• 1 month later...

Hi Belle.....

Strokes come two primary ways, and in both cases, the brain cells die (the stroke) from lack of oxygen...

Ischemic stroke is caused essentially when a clot of some kind blocks an artery (incoming blood...veins are outgoing) and the blood supply and therefore oxygen, is cut off from an area...No oxygen...the brain cells die, which is the stroke...

Hemmorhagic (sp?) strokes often come due to an aneurysm....Think of an artery bulging like a balloon and then popping...An area of the brain is again deprived of blood oxygen and dies...

Last I read, 80% of strokes are ischemic, or the blockage types...20% are the bleeding type...

The bleeding type can be fixed by surgery sometimes...I've a friend who had an aneurysm go in her head....Fortunately, the extreme headache she had, got her into the hospital fast, and surgery in time...After 6 months of rehab, she's fully recovered....

Anyway....only *some* strokes are related to an aneurysm in the brain...

Care...

Belle,

I had an aneurysm which ruptured thereby causing a stroke. Had it been detected earlier and repaired before it bled and caused damage to my brain, there would have been no stroke, I would have simply had an aneurysm. Not all aneurysms are strokes. Infact those of us who have had strokes resulting from aneurysms are the quite blessed. Most undetected aneurysms that reach critical point are fatal. If you're a fellow survivor of one, despite the subsequent stroke and all the challenges that go with it, we are truly blessed.

Maria :friends:

well i know that when you have a brain attack as you did when you had a stroke being depress is i am sorry to say your brain not able to work like it use to in order to deal with the problem that you are having the only remedy that i can suggesrt to you is not apill but to try and remain positive because you do get better from a stroke just think positive thoughts and don"t let yourself get tiredor fatigu, and if you do all of that you should feel preatty good dealing with a stroke takes alot of positive energy, and don"t think about what you can"t do think about how far you have come , and the medication that you are on keep taking it untill you talk to your doctor about going off as it is very dangerous to go off of any medications with out the doctor approval and the doctor is right itthe depression is cause by your brain not able to cope with what you are dealing with so think good thoughts good luck with your recovery i know that you can do it and above all don"t be to hard on yourself always try to remember that your brain is tring to help repair itself by finding new connections and you can help that process by being good to yourdelf thinking positive thoughts

Archived