MAKEUP

AnnfromWV

I have always worn makeup every day and found it to be too much trouble after my 10/22/09 stroke. I wear Mineral makeup, opening the jars, shaking some out and using the brush usually resulted in a spill or two (wasting expensive product). I have found that refillable brushes work wonderful. Just have someone put the product in the refillable brush handle, no mess, no spills and east to apply. Makeup may seem silly to some but it helps me to feel more like myself. I feel better when I look better. Hope this helps someone.

Ann :Clap-Hands:

And then there were two! I Always strive for the the natural look and dont you know that requires Mineral I would have never dreamed in a million years ...... I have got to get that a try. I dont think I can live without my kabuki brush doing the work and wouldtn you know Since my stroke was bilteral ins that both sides were affected the right side is definitely worse as that is where the worst bleeding was. I dont know how i Do it but I manage it took me almost two years to get it close to right though. Welcome Karen

Thanks for the tip Ann. I've tried the mineral make up. I'm with Karen most make ups just look too pancakeish. I did work on mascara on the opposite side for a very long time. Almost poked my eye out several times, but eventually finally got it down pat.

Don't give up there's much to be said for taking pride in your appearance and if it makes you feel good it's well worth the effort.

Ah yes - makeup!!

I had my RT eyelids sewn together in 2000, (No makeup needed there!) so my eye makeup tends to last double the time!! The paralysis I have is limited to that side of my face; it's been quite the journey figuring out what I can use easily, etc. (I applaud you for going the mineral makeup route. I had quite the time trying to use it and ended up giving it to my daughter.)

Susan :blush-anim-cl:

I TOO USED TO BE A MAKEUP PERSON, PRIOR TO MY STROKE WHEN I WORKED, BUT NOW I ONLY USE IT IF I AM GOING OUT OF THE HOUSE. I LIKE MARIA HAVE ALMOST POKED MY EYE OUT TRYING TO APPLY MASCARA, PLUS TRYING TO DO MY EYEBROWS, IT COMES OUT LOOKING LIKE A BULLSYE. I KID YOU NOT!!!, SINCE MAKEUP IS EXPENSIVE, I USE CLINQUE AND DONT LIKE TO WASTE IT IF NO ONE IS GOING TO SEE IT, IT REALLY DOESN'T HELP MUCH ANYWAY ANYMORE. I WAS NO BEAUTY TO BEGIN WITH. JUST MY OPINION. :)

I was never one to wear heavy make up. So post stroke my routine did not change. I absolutely need to apply eye liner to the bottom lashes, a little bit of blush and lipstick and Im done. Not much but to me it makes a big difference. Also I put on ear rings every day.

I often wear lounging robes around the house and if I do the above, I dont feel like Im wearing sleep ware. It makes a big difference with the way I feel, so thats what I do to feel presentable.

mc

The key to my utilizing Mineral Makeup is the Kabuki brush and what you want to do is turn your jar upside down Lid on and give a gentle tap now taking the lid off there should only be the smallest amount there. Now using the kabuki brush swirl to get some on the brush and then tap lightly again Then put the jar down and away from you so you cannot spill once foundation is on then repeat using Mineral Veil I have gotten so good at this even post stroke I can do contouring and blush and most of what I could do before Mascara is my demon I was so glad to hear us ladies sharing our tips with makeup as lets face it we all feel special when we have our Make up on and we are not surrendering that part of our femininity to stroke. I must confess it is difficult and when I am going somewhere I allow at least an hour for this ritual as lets face it It is a challenge Actually it is more than a challenge But as with everything else Repetition I am also almost 3 years post stroke and this was goal one when I was in the hospital I had to give up Mineral make up for a long time too I went to a different skin care and makeup for about a year and ahalf Now I can do it it just takes a lot of patience as does anything else. When I came out of the coma one of the first things my DILs did for me was have a make up day At that point I could not do my own at all and they did a makeover for me. I am also the one who bedazzled her cane with jewel beads that coodinate to the colors in my cane I have a Butterfly cane and so I chose the colors in my cane and added the jewels and yes they do fall off occasionally so I stay stocked in those colors My Motto is Let there be bling. Why not? Karen

hi ann and i know you are thinking why is he peplying he is a man he doesnt use make up , and you are right but you know i am just thinking about how hard it is to do everything else that you try, and i necer stop to realize that that would be difficulty to do, and i complain about shaving, ha!you see men can learn something new , thank you ann for for the lesson

Lenny, thanks for throwing shaving in the mix. Just be grateful you don't have to shave your legs. I've always been very anal about shaving my legs. It was always part of my daily routine and they absolutely have to be shaved every day. When I came out of the coma one of my first requests to the nurses was to shave my legs.

I still have to do it every day. Electric shavers just don't give you as close a shave as shaving cream and a razor, but it's a little tough to do in the shower with one hand and no balance.

Anyone have a solution or suggestion?

maria, i'm with you on this one too. its awkward to say the least. i use a shower chair and it is a tad easier for me that way, i'm closer to my legs without having to bend over. it does become alittle tricker to shave my affected leg on my left sometimes when my leg won't move into the required position needed to complete the underside. i know this is graphic detail, sorry guys. i've received several. cuts trying to coordinate this delicate procedure,LOL ive tried the elect razor too, not happy with results either. i'm open to suggestions, stopping shaving is not an option for me :D

I'm with the rest of you. One of the first things I did the day after my stroke, while still in the hospital, was to try and apply my make-up. It has nothing to do with vanity...but everything to do with appearing normal. And, your right...when you look better, you feel better. I have that down, probably as good as it's going to get, which is ok. As far as shaving my legs, I have to do this in the bathtub. I don't like it, but it is what it is. I have the worse time shaving my right arm pit...usually have to call my husband or grandaughter in to do that one. I tried it myself, since I can grasp with the all the fingers moving together, but I can't get the right angle and am afraid of cutting myself as even the smallest cut bleeds forever.. We'll get there, eventually. I can't put the backs on my peirced ears...any suggestions there...or do I go back to the clasps ones? A good topic.

This is a good topic. I am like Kimmie in that I used to wear make-up every day when I worked. Now I wear it whenever I go out or even to baby sit our grandson. One thing I always do every day, however, is put moisturizer on. It just makes me feel better.

Shaving legs...it was the first thing I wanted to do after my stroke in the hospital. It took me a very long time in the shower...but I did it.

Ann, keep on wearing the make-up as it does make such a difference.

hi ann and i know you are thinking why is he peplying he is a man he doesnt use make up , and you are right but you know i am just thinking about how hard it is to do everything else that you try, and i necer stop to realize that that would be difficulty to do, and i complain about shaving, ha!you see men can learn something new , thank you ann for for the lesson
Maria, Im the same about shaving, have to do it every day. I have a shower chair so I can sit to shave. Another trick I learned recently is instead of shaving cream which makes my skin dry. I now use cream rinse . It does the trick and leave my legs nice and soft. I happened to have a bottle of cream rinse that I didnt use anymore so I tried that and was pleasantly surprised at the outcome.

mc

maria, i'm with you on this one too. its awkward to say the least. i use a shower chair and it is a tad easier for me that way, i'm closer to my legs without having to bend over. it does become alittle tricker to shave my affected leg on my left sometimes when my leg won't move into the required position needed to complete the underside. i know this is graphic detail, sorry guys. i've received several. cuts trying to coordinate this delicate procedure,LOL ive tried the elect razor too, not happy with results either. i'm open to suggestions, stopping shaving is not an option for me :D

Rosemary, I wear ear rings every day and I also have pierced ears. Here is how I do it. I set the back close where I can feel it when I need it. I put in the ear ring and turn my head the way the ear ring wont come out. I feel for the backing and slowly bring it to my ear. I then fold my ear with the hand which has the backing, folding my ear on top of the ear ring stops the ear ring from falling out and stabilizes it so I can put the backing on. Hope this helps. I also hope my instructions were clear.

mc

As far earrings I have 2 holes in each ear. In the higher holes I have diamonds studs that

I just leave in. I have my husband take them out one a week to give them a good cleaning then put back. For the other holes French clips work well or earrings where the wire is attached on one end, feeds through and snaps closed on the other.

I'm pretty impressed Marie. I couldn't get studs on by myself if my life depended on it. In fact I had the second holes done about a year ago so I could make use of the studs because they were going to waste in my draw.

ahhhh vanity,huh? Yup, you bring to mind myself trying to shaveMY LEGS....i USE A STOOL AND HOLD A SHOWER HEAD TO SHOWER, BUT THEN my bumb arm hangin GETS IN THE WAY...."WHERE TO PUT IT WHEN IT REALY IS not NEEDED! iT'S REALLY QUITE COMICAL,except,sorry, I'm NOT laughing! Bah Humbug! :(

My hubby has to help me shave my armpits...ewwwwww... ^_^ .don't want to look like a Russian shot put lady!

Mineral make-up was my mkp of choice prior to Stella the Stroke. :unsure: I just leave the jars a little ajar and hope for the best....tried mascara---need it but too dangerous for me and cleanin up the mess from trying is AnnoyING! :wacko: :yadayada: :yadayada: :yadayada:

[My lack of balance and fear of falling, (More broken bones) keep me taking baths not showers, so shaving my legs isn't a problem for me. (Remembering to wear my glasses so I can see what I'm doing - now that's another story! :rolleyes: )

Susan :lush:

I'm surprised Kathy Saul didn't jump in on this one to remind us of how she learned from experience not to wax your own eyebrows or cut her own hair with one hand. She never did post a picture but I'll bet she did make a very cute eyebrowless crazy haired guinea pig.

Archived