A New Direction in My Personal Therapy

Colin

Hi everyone, Since my 2nd week in the Hospital in May 2009 I've been on a misson to overcome my physical disabilities caused by my stroke. Everyone one of them and I am positive I can overcome most of them and have improved many areas by just being determined, stubborn and focused. For example typing this topic I force myself to use my left hand even though I can type faster without it. But it's getting easier each time I use it so I'll continue trying until I can type acceptably (for me). My biggest area of concern recently is my personal energy management and found that by jogging a 20 minute treadmill program that I can overcome the fatigue and mental clarity or (unclarity) issue, in fact it gives me about 4 hours of clarity and energy. So I do it everyday in the afternoon, it also helps me to improve my gait, because my left leg just isn't sure what it's suppose to do, I concentrate on what I think is the proper movement and repeat, I think eventually I'll figure it out but I'm still getting the benefit of improved stamina and stronger legs. Because of my wierd gait I get some muscle stiffness in my left ankle and knee , so worrying that I might injure myself I try to switch it up a little, recently I tried a TAEBO II dvd and it's like super therapy in as far as limb coordination and strengthening. I know there are many of us here that are not capable of this and my prayers are with you as I'm not here to brag on my progress but to give some information that could help another to improve. Of course I couldn't keep up with the routine but the basic 1 workout has so many leg and arm movements that work well for me I wanted to pass this on, I did not get the same clarity buzz as I get from the treadmill but relearning how to move my leg and arms again should be worth the effort. As I've said in the past I also use the TOTAL GYM every day to help stretch and strengthen my arms and use a grip device to improve my left hand strength. If anyone would like to speak with me about my routines I'll be happy to give you my cell number It'll probably be easier then typing. GOD BLESS YOU

Colin

thank you colin for that wonderful story of your determination , you are doing great work and a very good service to your body and you will get a major dividend for your hard workn and dedication , good job colin, and thank you for letting us know , and please keep us updated

Colin I also do the treadmill I walk at about 2.5 mph or briskly for 10 minutes and that seems to help me as well.

It is good therapy... I also try to get out a little also I can because i live in Florida.

Hi Colin!

Wow, what a wonderful job you have done for yourself, congratulations!! That's really awesome and impressive that you've been able to accomplish al of this.

Thanks fo all the wonderful help you gave me when i read your message, too. Now, If I had an opportunity to put it into action. I' m Ms. Gimpy at the moment so can't do what you're talking about until I get out of this cast, but I MUST get my mind wrapped aaround some type of exercise regime for myself at home; mainly to get the Family off my back about it, but I also know I truely need to do it. but, I also live in a world of chronic pain- - - I know not different from the rest of us in our world - - - but not to bore you now, I have numerous strikes against me to start with.

I did find a Yoga DVD specifically for Neck & Back Pain folks like me, I just haven't had a chance to start it yet with breaking my leg and my ribs last week.

Anyway, congrats again on your Marvelous Accomplishment!!

Thanks for the positive engery everyone. I love sharing and hope one day we'll all be strong enough to finally shout loudly "I'M BACK!!!!" i truly believe that we can and do start somewhere doing something to get back . from squezzing a ball while watching TV, or being able to safely getting across the room on your own. Whatever brings you back. It's like we're starting over. Songbird57 one day you'll stand in front of the TV doin "Downward Facing Dog" rejoice in the moment. GOD BLESS YOU.

Colin

Hello Colin, My stroke affected my left side too but when i try to jog on the treadmill I only last about 2 minutes before my left foot goes kaput! I mean it just goes numb, and then i just walk again till the feeling comes back and then I try it again and i start off really good you know its like a left limped funny kind of a trot like motion ya know what i mean? anywho no matter how fast no not fast no matter how slow or even slower i go my foot still gets numb. I like to run along the Waterfront also but it's kinda scary because I always feel I'm gonna trip and fall. Now just like my left foot my left hand kinda does the same thing but instead of getting numb it starts getting really stiff. i would like to talk to you about this If you don't mind, not sure how we do this???

HI COLIN, I AM SO HAPPY YOU ARE DOING SO WELL,I COULD READ YOUR ENERGY AND HAPPINESS IN YOUR POST. I BELIEVE WITH YOUR DETERMINATION AND STRENGTH YOU WILL GET THERE TOO. SO KEEP UP THE GREAT JOB AND KEEP US UPDATED ON YOUR PROGRESS. WE LOVE HEARING SUCCESS STORIES OF OTHER SURVIVORS. I HOPE YOU ACHIEVE MANY MORE ACCOMPLISHMENTS. GO FOR THE GOLD COLIN.

CloseCall Not sure what's going with your leg and arm going numb, have you spoke with your PT or Dr. about this. Sounds to me like you are doing what I would do, but it seems very important to understand why you experience the numbness. Above aLL else we as survivors must think safety in our excercise programs and should be absolutely positive that we are NOT engaging in activities that will cause us more harm then good. One thing about my treadmill program that I didn't mention above is that I started walking 20 min for about 3 wks then increased to walking 5 mins then jogging 1 min then walk 1 min and repeat out to 20mins for 3 more wks and, recently I increased that to jogging 2 mins and walking 1 min, i do not Jog the entire 20 mins, Sorry if I gave anyone that impression. Please make sure it is safe for you to participate in this type of activity before undertaking and excercise regimen. Yes I know exactly what you mean by the "left leg limp funny kind of trot" That sounds like me...I keep hearing in my head " Run Forest Run". I even run up and down our driveway about 100' just to see if I can actually do it. But it's not all wine and roses, MON & TUES were exceptionly great clarity days (they are starting to come more frequently) but I'm dragging butt today. time for some excercise. God Bless you.

Be safe and keep up the good work

Colin

Congrats to Colin! You are so full of energy and happiness. What positive news, you give me hope. I don't think I'll ever get Ernie on a treadmill, and he certainly doesn't have your determination. I do, so, I'm the official motivator in my house. Keep up the good work, and keep us posted on your progress. It is a lovely story!

Many thanks,

Sara

• 3 months later...

great post and great work Colin, i soooooooooooooo identify with just getting across the room safely it made me laugh when i read it. thankfully i do make it safely 99% of the time , it takes concentration and is painfully slow but i get there :)

Jade

Hi Colin,

I think your goals are great! I go to a gym three day a week. I spend about 10 minutes a day on a treadmill myself. I find the treadmill a good workout myself. Congratulation on your in-divers.

Bruce Schwentker

Collin, Great news. I'm not able to use a treadmill cuz I do not

have rhythm in walking, so I walk outside.

Movement is what it is all about.

Jeannie

Wow, Colin! What a wonderful and positive post. I've been trying to exercise. Movement is not a problem at all. It's the fatigue, stiffness, and others that plague me after a workout. How do you exercise when you are dragging feet with fatigue? What is it that pushes you?

Have you ran before your stroke? I wish I had a treadmill, hehehe. I have hills and blind curves and no sidewalks. It's bad for a deaf person with one-eye blindness (not stroke-related).

I apologize for making you type more because I'm totally deaf. I haven't been able to exercise much lately because of my problems with vertigo attacks and the constant dizziness. I'm trying to get this under control, so I can get back into action.

I look forward to reading more of your workout experiences and what helps you to keep going. Thanks for your post.

• 4 weeks later...

Well sorry all for taking so long to respond, but thank you all for your kind, motivating words. My motivation is probably stubbornness, and it was incredibly hard at first, but I just keep after it. On 07/4 I got a chance to get into a pool, didn't think I'd ever swim again but I can move my left arm in that way now so I CAN SWIM. I did about 20 laps cause I was so excited about doing it I couldn't stop. When I did stop that was all my energy and I was done for the day. But within 1 week of getting in a pool everyday I know I could swim well again. SO i really don't think it's so much motivation as it is determination. I recently started using an iron gym device for pull ups, Sometimes I can do 3, Sometimes I just hang there for a 30 count, but in months of trying I'll be able to do more pullups and get stronger. Just keep trying to improve in little steps and the next thing you know you'll accomplish your goals. GOD BLESS ALL OF US.

Caring wishes,

Colin

Colin that is fantastic. I have been take advantage of the summer sun and swimming in the pool. I love the summer heat though it doesnt always like me.

Keep doing what you are doing. That is wonderful. This was a set back to your health then.. now the only was is tyo go up. you're doing it

Congratulations Colin While you are going up I am going down down down I am back on a walker as I am falling entirely to much on the cane so the doctor said back to the walker and wheelchair or my scootie This done rignt as they cancelled my therapy and all due to cancelation of medicaid I do have a swimming pool available do you think that would be a good place to start? I think Taebo would be a bit more than I can do Anyway enough about me This is about you and I am so glad as it sounds like you are making some really good progress Karen

• 5 months later...

Wow Coming up on a year since I posted that last march. Well Taebo was too much for me to work with, I had to go back to walking (no more Jogging) on the treadmill because of the weird gait from my left leg and foot, but it was terrific for weight loss, I have virtually overcome my physical disabilites and continue to workout on the Total Gym & the treadmill everyday. The spasticity I complained of 1 year ago is non-existent It's gone, I have no more pain in my shoulder or arm. With determination and guidance I believe most of us can overcome the physical liaibilites of stroke. I am having some difficulty with my left toes when I walk, but I hope to overcome that as well. All good news right, not really, what I've experienced now is that most people don't relate the struggle of stroke rehabilitation to me because of my conditioning. I still suffer from confusion and focus but feel that my physical improvement is making it harder for drs. and others to believe my mental shortcomings and I now constantly worry about losing my disability because of it. I've tried no take multiple educational courses from Spanish to computers and have a difficult time learning and retaining anything new. I couldn't and really don't want to ever go back into the Corp environment especially in payroll as I struggle with accuracy and have no organizational skills.I'm sure I'll find an answer to that as well. Another issue that I struggled with a year ago was Chronic Fatigue. Well part of that was the medications I was on. I've since changed and sampled many only to find one that works well. I went from sleeping days at a time to having 10 time more energy then I could ever use. Now I'm Manic. talk about a mood swing. But controlled it's better then fatigue. So the Point is for me ALL OF THE HARD WORK AND CONDITIONING MADE A HUGH DIFFERENCE PHYSICALY. Not quite sure what to do mentally but each day brings changes, mostly good. So for those of you that are beginning this Stroke Journey I hope I answered some questions you may be having, if not please email me I'll relate my experience to you. Thank you, Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to all the wonderful people here. You've made such a positive impact in my life. God Bless us all.

Colin

Colin, that's great! I've been doing a fair bit of treadmill work too, but haven't noticed it boosting my clarity -- but of course each stroke is different and so is each survivor.

Of course, the treadmill is free of obstacles and has handrails. I haven't dared try for comparable distances on local sidewalks, until just recently -- I walked down to the railroad tracks, over to downtown, through the heart of this little city, and back home, somewhere between one and two miles, I think. And from downtown there's a bus that stops right outside my office, so maybe my wife won't have to drive me to work every day any more!

I share your concern about the joints and muscles in my left leg, especially climbing stairs. It's good to hear that you're getting positive results, and I hope I'll be able to report the same.

David

• 2 weeks later...

David I Pray you'll achieve your goals also. The Folks here are absolutely the best support group EVER. And i owe a debt of gratitude to each and everyone that read and posted to my comments. I feel such a closeness to people I've never met but one day hope to. I've since been officially permanetly disabled which should relieve some of the anxiety over what I'm going to do with the rest of my life and I started an Affiliate Marketing business and work with that 5-8 hours a day. So the Journey hasn't ended but it's a completely new adventure now.

God Bless All

Colin

• 1 month later...

Hi everyone, Since my 2nd week in the Hospital in May 2009 I've been on a misson to overcome my physical disabilities caused by my stroke. Everyone one of them and I am positive I can overcome most of them and have improved many areas by just being determined, stubborn and focused. For example typing this topic I force myself to use my left hand even though I can type faster without it. But it's getting easier each time I use it so I'll continue trying until I can type acceptably (for me). My biggest area of concern recently is my personal energy management and found that by jogging a 20 minute treadmill program that I can overcome the fatigue and mental clarity or (unclarity) issue, in fact it gives me about 4 hours of clarity and energy. So I do it everyday in the afternoon, it also helps me to improve my gait, because my left leg just isn't sure what it's suppose to do, I concentrate on what I think is the proper movement and repeat, I think eventually I'll figure it out but I'm still getting the benefit of improved stamina and stronger legs. Because of my wierd gait I get some muscle stiffness in my left ankle and knee , so worrying that I might injure myself I try to switch it up a little, recently I tried a TAEBO II dvd and it's like super therapy in as far as limb coordination and strengthening. I know there are many of us here that are not capable of this and my prayers are with you as I'm not here to brag on <b>my</b> progress but to give some information that could help another to improve. Of course I couldn't keep up with the routine but the basic 1 workout has so many leg and arm movements that work well for me I wanted to pass this on, I did not get the same clarity buzz as I get from the treadmill but relearning how to move my leg and arms again should be worth the effort. As I've said in the past I also use the TOTAL GYM every day to help stretch and strengthen my arms and use a grip device to improve my left hand strength. If anyone would like to speak with me about my routines I'll be happy to give you my cell number It'll probably be easier then typing. GOD BLESS YOU

Colin

Hi everyone, Since my 2nd week in the Hospital in May 2009 I've been on a misson to overcome my physical disabilities caused by my stroke. Everyone one of them and I am positive I can overcome most of them and have improved many areas by just being determined, stubborn and focused. For example typing this topic I force myself to use my left hand even though I can type faster without it. But it's getting easier each time I use it so I'll continue trying until I can type acceptably (for me). My biggest area of concern recently is my personal energy management and found that by jogging a 20 minute treadmill program that I can overcome the fatigue and mental clarity or (unclarity) issue, in fact it gives me about 4 hours of clarity and energy. So I do it everyday in the afternoon, it also helps me to improve my gait, because my left leg just isn't sure what it's suppose to do, I concentrate on what I think is the proper movement and repeat, I think eventually I'll figure it out but I'm still getting the benefit of improved stamina and stronger legs. Because of my wierd gait I get some muscle stiffness in my left ankle and knee , so worrying that I might injure myself I try to switch it up a little, recently I tried a TAEBO II dvd and it's like super therapy in as far as limb coordination and strengthening. I know there are many of us here that are not capable of this and my prayers are with you as I'm not here to brag on <b>my</b> progress but to give some information that could help another to improve. Of course I couldn't keep up with the routine but the basic

workout has so many leg and arm movements that work well for me I wanted to pass this on, I did not get the same clarity buzz as I get from the treadmill but relearning how to move my leg and arms again should be worth the effort. As I've said in the past I also use the TOTAL GYM every day to help stretch and strengthen my arms and use a grip device to improve my left hand strength. If anyone would like to speak with me about my routines I'll be happy to give you my cell number It'll probably be easier then typing. GOD BLESS YOU

Colin

Hi everyone, Since my 2nd week in the Hospital in May 2009 I've been on a misson to overcome my physical disabilities caused by my stroke. Everyone one of them and I am positive I can overcome most of them and have improved many areas by just being determined, stubborn and focused. For example typing this topic I force myself to use my left hand even though I can type faster without it. But it's getting easier each time I use it so I'll continue trying until I can type acceptably (for me). My biggest area of concern recently is my personal energy management and found that by jogging a 20 minute treadmill program that I can overcome the fatigue and mental clarity or (unclarity) issue, in fact it gives me about 4 hours of clarity and energy. So I do it everyday in the afternoon, it also helps me to improve my gait, because my left leg just isn't sure what it's suppose to do, I concentrate on what I think is the proper movement and repeat, I think eventually I'll figure it out but I'm still getting the benefit of improved stamina and stronger legs. Because of my wierd gait I get some muscle stiffness in my left ankle and knee , so worrying that I might injure myself I try to switch it up a little, recently I tried a TAEBO II dvd and it's like super therapy in as far as limb coordination and strengthening. I know there are many of us here that are not capable of this and my prayers are with you as I'm not here to brag on <b>my</b> progress but to give some information that could help another to improve. Of course I couldn't keep up with the routine but the basic

workout has so many leg and arm movements that work well for me I wanted to pass this on, I did not get the same clarity buzz as I get from the treadmill but relearning how to move my leg and arms again should be worth the effort. As I've said in the past I also use the TOTAL GYM every day to help stretch and strengthen my arms and use a grip device to improve my left hand strength. If anyone would like to speak with me about my routines I'll be happy to give you my cell number It'll probably be easier then typing. GOD BLESS YOU

Colin

Archived