hard for me

KevinE

oh kevin, i am so sorry to hear that you are having a hard time have you tried your local church com,mmunity for finachial help?or what you need is a good solid sleep, maybe you should go see your doctor in order to get a sleeping pills that is right for you , just make sure that it is safe for you to take, and you have most likely alot of avenue to search out for help in the money situation, maybe govt. subsidyuic , disability insurance i am not sure of all the place that you can go as i am not an american, i would really like to be more of a help to you , good luck with solving your problems with your sleep issues ,

.Hi Kevin, sorry its so hard for you, it will get better though, it always does. I can suggest you keep active, walk. swim. go out, the more active you are, the more tired you will be to sleep at night. Try not to nap during the day, sometimes that helps too. As for the financial side, I can only wish you luck, sorry I dont have any suggestions for you there but Lenny had a few that might work for you. I know that you are not alone as the economy is very bad right now, but that too is ponly temporary as the economy goes in cycles. I can only hope this cycle ends before things get worse. Good luck and take care my friend. There will be better days ahead.

mc

kevin you can still enjoy the springtime despite your problems, find things you like to do being outside, you can probably still do them, just in a different way maybe. spring is a time for regrowth and the sunshine after a brutal winter for alot of places in the u.s. fatigue is very common after a stroke, first work on getting your sleeping issues resolved. to hopefully help with the fatigue. i could just sit out in the sun and fall asleep on a really good day. talk to your doctor about a good med to help you sleep. some people after a good workout like swimming wears them out and will help them to sleep better. i hope you can resolve your sleeping problem very soon for your continued good health. keep us updated on how you are doing.

Kevin !

Here is a bit of wisdom, a quote that you might like:

KEVIN.. HI THERE.. SORRY YOUR HAV... NING MONEY ISUES BUT THERE ARE THINGS TO DO THAT ARE FREE WALKING, READING, SITTING OUTSIDE AND LOOKING AT NATURE, TALKING WITH YOUR NEIGHBORS,ECT.. I KNOW ITS STARTING TO WARM UP HERE IN MICH, AND I LOOK FORWARD TO DOING THE THINGS I MENTIONED. JUST SITTING OUTSIDE AN OUR PATIO AND FEELING THE SUN ON MY FACEAS FOR MONEY PROBLEMS, I WISH I COULD GIVE YOU AN ANSWER BEST WISHES!! PATTY

Thanks All That was a confussing post but everyone seemed to get what i meant. I get myself out of the dumps and move on.

Its just a big adjustment in my life... Thanks for the positivr thoughts

Hi Kevin, This is a BIG adjustment that came quickly.... It is hard to take it all in at once. Life has certainly changed... but it does get easier. Spring and Summer are sunny and getting out in the sun will help get some vitamin D . You may have to do your activities slower or with some adjustments, but you can still definately enjoy life.

I try to think of this as a second chance. I'm still alive and there is much to enjoy. Have you applied for Social Security Disability? You do not have to stay on it permenantly if you get to the point you can return to work.. part time or full time.

Fatigue is a big issue. Please talk with your Dr. Naps are great also. In the beginning I often took naps to re charge. It is also a matter of trying to learn to pace yourself and not push to get Over tired. Your brain is healing and it takes a LOT of energy. I hardly ever nap now, but I do sit down and take breaks.

Some anti-depressant medications do help with fatigue also.

We have all been through this... and are in diffeerent stages of acceptance of dealing with this.. know there is a light at the end of the tunnel. :)

Bonnie

Hi Kevin~

like Bonnie said there is light at the end of the tunnel. I call it the tunnel

that leads you through your adjustment period. Some it takes longer tha n

others. Ther is light, a bright one, a joyous one! Keep walking or wheeling

forward and you will find it. I once was a swimmer before my stroke at age

46 yrs. old. I had to relearn alot as my body (right side slowly came out of

paralization) In rehab there was a pool & thry lowered my body into the pool

by chair. Now I can take my brace off & walk slowly down stairs & swim lengths.

(that took a long time to relearn so keep the faith) Water is very good exercise.

Keep writing & keeping in touch with us all as we care how your doing &

understand. :happydance:

Take care my friend~Nancy

Kevin,

Sorry you're so down. Fatigue is very common with stroke and does lessen over time, however takes a long time to get beyond. In the meantime you will need to make some adjustments as others have wisely advised. As you do, you will gradually see your stamina increase very slowly over time.

Right now plan short walks or activities with time for a break or nap to rejuvenate and rest. Pushing yourself will only serve to wear you down more and in the long run be counterproductive.

You can still enjoy spring summer and the outdoors, you just to do it a bit differently for now.

Hang in you will be fine ~ there are better days ahead you will see.

Maria :friends:

Spring is renewal time...and there is much beauty to be seen outdoors. There are many things you can do that do not involve finances...volunteer and meet other folks (if you volunteer in a hospital, most provide a free meal); take a slow walk and enjoy Mother Nature; go to the library; go to a chain bookstore, browse, and sit in one of their comfortable chairs reading; and etc.

There is a period of adjustment but it will get better.

Hi Kev....

The fatigue thing...It seems to affect folks a varying degree...

I even have a name for it...The Tireds...Days when it's an effort to even get your clothes on...Too tired to cook lunch or dinner...

They've become not as debilitating as time went on...

Also...goofy sleeping...Like being up now, 1:10AM, doing this post, when I should be sawing logs...<G>...!

At one time I was worried about finances, but with a little help from the Feds (SSDI,), and various cutbacks in expenditures, stuff has sorta sorted itself out...And I haven't even tapped the free stuff to do...

You put your finger on what you have to do....Get out of the dumps, and move on....I know that when I was down, I was a heck of a lot tired more often........Being down can get ya tired...

I think you'll find that as each part of your situation squares itself away, stuff gets a little bit brighter...It does take time, or as I like to say "Everything seems to take too long"....

Hang in there...

Care...

Kevin Have you applied for SSDI/ It is not the income you are used to but it is something. Finacial stress can be the worst. You know though Kevin we are not to worry all the worry in the world what will that add to your lifespan. I know a walk and the fresh and a spring day can remind you of what a wonderful creation the world is and it is all right there at our fingertips all we need do is open the door God bless and keep you. I know exactly where you are. You are not alone we are all right here to encourage you and give you a lttle nudge when it gets hard. Its never easy! I figure God had more faith in my than I did in myself or I would not be here. He never gives us more than we can bear and that is what me and the Lord have to discuss now and then When he has more faith in me than what I think I can bear There in lies what we must ponder. Since God is always right I need to kick it in gear. Hugs Karen

Kevin Have you applied for SSDI/ It is not the income you are used to but it is something. Finacial stress can be the worst. You know though Kevin we are not to worry all the worry in the world what will that add to your lifespan. I know a walk and the fresh and a spring day can remind you of what a wonderful creation the world is and it is all right there at our fingertips all we need do is open the door God bless and keep you. I know exactly where you are. You are not alone we are all right here to encourage you and give you a lttle nudge when it gets hard. Its never easy! I figure God had more faith in my than I did in myself or I would not be here. He never gives us more than we can bear and that is what me and the Lord have to discuss now and then When he has more faith in me than what I think I can bear There in lies what we must ponder. Since God is always right I need to kick it in gear. Hugs Karen

Thanks karen i am appreciative of ur message and perhaps i am just whining a little.

Life has changed for me dramtically but i do have a family and i will get thru thos somehow

However when it is changed it is changed for me. no more looking ahead for wants or material items

I am trying to hang on to the present material items as much as possible.

I am changing into just being glad to be hear. I will pray harder to god to give me peace.

I am happy with the new me so far. but i worry about my immediateely family.

also One day i hopefully wish to return to work. to make me fulfilled. I will also look into doing some online classes for mcdst support.

IN THE FINANCIAL AREA I DO HAVE lONG TERM DISABILITY INSURANCE 60 PERCENT OF MY GROSS FOR A 40 WEEK.

SO THE BASICS CAN BE THERE.

Thanks karen i am appreciative of ur message and perhaps i am just whining a little.

Life has changed for me dramtically but i do have a family and i will get thru thos somehow

However when it is changed it is changed for me. no more looking ahead for wants or material items

I am trying to hang on to the present material items as much as possible.

I am changing into just being glad to be hear. I will pray harder to god to give me peace.

I am happy with the new me so far. but i worry about my immediateely family.

also One day i hopefully wish to return to work. to make me fulfilled. I will also look into doing some online classes for mcdst support.

IN THE FINANCIAL AREA I DO HAVE lONG TERM DISABILITY INSURANCE 60 PERCENT OF MY GROSS FOR A 40 WEEK.

SO THE BASICS CAN BE THERE.

I know it is hard to let go of what we think is finacial security. I dont know if this will help you or not but your blessings and all that never were from anywhere but The Lord. If I were to look at the numbers in black and white Id be frantic!! Before all this I would have said it could not be done! What I have learned is I feel just as blessed as before if not more so. Somehow the worst of the Bills are paid and a roof is over our head We are so blessed and I mean that sincerely The Lord wont give you a stone for a pillow. Look at all the new friends you have that care for you really really care for youl Take it one day at a time. In a few months I will try to remember to check in with you I am sure that you will agree your life situations never were up to anything but reliance on faith always anyway Hugs Karen

• 2 weeks later...

Kevin,

I know it's had to think that you'll ever get better but you will! I know you will because it happened to me. I had to use a wheel chair at first and then I was able to walk with a four proned cane. I can even drive a car now. I have a lot to be greatful for my growth. May be I can't do what I use to do burt I can do some things with my left hand. So hang in there you'll do fine!!

Bruce Schwentker

• 2 months later...

yes you will Kevin, see my post on "progress is slow in the lighter side of strokes, you see no lighter side now but its coming, the tiredness will fade or you will cope with it better either way it improves.You are worrying about immediate family and they are probably worrying about you ;) its wasted energy. see your stroke as an opportunity to do things you wanted to do but did not have time because of work etc, take up photography, birdwatching or join a group in your area, i did and met some characters theres always a lot of laughter and the carer staff are wonderful, i have a whole different circle of friends now, the real friends from before i still connect with.

its a huge adjustment of course but you can be happy and fulfilled.

hugz Jade

• 2 weeks later...

I have always liked to swim. Two months after my stroke, I went swimming at the YMCA. I just basically did whatever I could do in the water. I just followed what my body wanted to do. I did not set any kind of goals, since I didn't want to get too much fatigue. I enjoyed it immensely. Just being in water is really healing. I think that's the most important thing.

If it's hard to stand in the water, why not use those floatation devices? I think there may be "swimming therapy." I'm thinking of exercising therapy of movement in the water that is mild and catered for the individual's abilities and whatnot. I'm not sure if there is anything like that. It's just a thought, since it might with flexibility through movement and stretching.

I do hope you can find the joy in swimming like you had before. I know everything is completely different now. After my stroke, I had my very first art exhibit. Now that's something that would be very exciting for an amateur artist. But I couldn't experience joy or excitement. I had no emotion whatsoever when I got the news of my upcoming exhibit. This was what tipped me off that my pre-existing depressive disorder had gotten worse by the stroke. I didn't feel the passion like I had used to feel when it came to my hobby.

These changes do take time to get used to, but hey, there is hope.

Archived