Sleeping and zocor

KevinE

Hello

Most of you all have seen my posts about sleeping.

I slept about 9 hours last night which is a good thing. The strange thing was i did not take my statin pill for cholesterol .

I wonder if the statin pill could be the one not letting me sleep.

If it is i will be trying to find another statin to lower cholesterol. Or maybe try the actual pill not a generic.

I am so happy to be able to sleep

Hey, I'm happy for you too! But, I took Zocor a long time and didn't sleep that much either. I don't think that was the reason for me, maybe for you. I got the sleep mask now but don't use it much.

I take Rosuvastain 40mg, which I think is Crestor, I still wake up all times of night. Mine is from my military service and my nerves these days!

Hi Kevin, maybe you could try taking it at a different time so it doesnt affect your sleep. If you are going to play around with the med, I suggest you talk to your Doc first. Good luck Kevin and maybe you slept out of sheer exaustion, but I am glad you had a good nights sleep. Good luck and please keep us posted.

mc

Hi Kev...

A fatigue situation has been often reported as a side effect of Zocor, also known as Simvastatin...

Fatigue is also a reported side effect of some BP meds...

Lisinopril, for example...

You can find out a lot of info by going to google, typing in the drug's name, and then side effects.....In fact, that comes up very often in the suggested search dropdown google provides...

Care....

hi kevin, it is tough getting your sleep pattern back on track after a stroke because of many contributing factors. gary provided you some good info. i take both meds he referred to. without any side effects. every person is different i know. there are so many meds out there and lots of times its a trail and error to find the right med for you. as each stroke is different and the other deficits it leaves us with. feeling bad from a med or not being able to sleep. is cause to try another med. usually statin drugs are to be taken before bedtime, because our bodies make cholesterol while we sleep. hopefully your dr will monitor you closely and help you to find a med for you that will allow you to be able to sleep. you know you can't function correctly without sleep. getting a few hours now and then helps but getting back into an 8hour sleeping pattern would make you feel so much better. do not hesitate to let your dr know of continuing issues with your meds. i hope you are able to get your sleep back on a nightly basis. please keep us updated on how its going for you. i wish you the best in solving this dilemma.

Kevin,

The biggest trouble I have is my sleep pattern. Mine really never improved, I think I just got used to it. I usually get only 6 hours of sleep a night. Which by the end of the week catches up with me. I usually am doing something at night and not really relaxing enough when it's time for a little sleep and I'm just too wired which makes it very difficult to fall asleep and the big one for me..... Staying asleep. I take my high cholesterol med in the morning. I might have to check what Kimmie was saying about taking it at night. Anyways, I know what you are going through and getting enough sleep can be tough sometimes.

Terry

still convinced zocor was the culprit had some good sleep last week. will keep playing with meds.

I have lipitor samples. some friends on here said lipitor was hard on them.

I am just curious

Kevin

• 1 month later...

Hey Kevin: Sorry for your sleep problem. We all need good solid sleep to repair our bodies as much as possible. My doctor put me on ambien (generic is zolpedem). I don't know what i would do without it. At least when I sleep I forget about all my physical problems..escape. But I'm not over medicating myself and I take it as prescribed and only 10 min before I get in bed. Good Luck. Just be awake when we host the chat. When is that getting back up again. I've tried 3 times and couldnt' get in; my java is up to date too. Now that would be an answer I would love, Maybe you know it. See 'ya. Leah :Zzzz:

That's an interesting side effect. I take Pravastatin (Pravachol) and I have good sleep. Oh, yes, I take it at night as it's more effective while sleeping when the body makes the cholesterol. Hope you get the meds sorted out. :D

• 3 months later...

Hello

I slept about 9 hours last night which is a good thing. The strange thing was i did not take my statin pill for cholesterol .

If it is i will be trying to find another statin to lower cholesterol. Or maybe try the actual pill not a generic.

i do not know if there is any connection between the two but i could not sleep for ages, i let it go for weeks before asking the doc for sleeping pills which he gave me ( hacion 0.25mg) i call them by lil magic green pills they work very well i'm asleep in no time and the dosage is so low there are no side effects the next day, i was taking zocor back then too i'm on simizor or something similar now, just a different name its still a statin, but i would not be without the lil green lads.have you asked your doctor for sleeping pills, there are hundreds out there there's bound to be one to suit you, and we need our sleep more than most to have enough energy to do battle the next day.Jade

• 9 months later...

Hello

I also was incredibly fatigued and didn't get to REM sleep so I switched my Zocor to the morning and my Zoloft to the morning. I started dreaming again. You probably should talk to your doctor about any changes to your meds,

Dean

hi kevin, and yes i agree with you getting a good night sleep is very good for you but just to be on the safe side kevin talk to your doctor about your theory, and see if you are on the right track and if this is safe for you you may need one to help your body fight your cholesteral, and even though you do get a good night rest it is better to be safe than sorry and just making sure that the side effects are minimal is not taking any risk and still getting a good night sleep it is a win win for all of you

Guest lwisman

There are many many side effects of statins. The percentage of people on this network who have had problems is high. In my own family both my sister and a first cousin had side effects. They are not a wonder drug.

Many people who have problems with these meds switch to the Red Rice Yeast supplement (over the counter) with very good results.

Niacin also lowers cholesterol. But like Dean said talk to your doctor as I am not one...=))

Kevin: take some time and get out your pharmacy inserts or go on-line. Look up every one of the new medications you are on. Look at the recommended time to take them, the side effects and any interactions with anything else you are taking.

Knowledge is power. You already figured it out yourself once and can do it again. Just don't make substitutes without your doctor's approval. For instance, Bruce's Zanaflex should be taken at night. Bruce has an incredible immune system. Yes, it helps him sleep, but by morning he is totally rigid again. PT begged his Neuro for weeks to let him take one, just on PT days one half hour before his session. He would fall asleep in the WC waiting for her, but I was right with him and his PT sessions went so much better. He slept all the way home, but I was able to wake him for him to make safe transfers and help me get him up the ramp. Prednisone needs to be taken in the morning. If it is ordered twice a day, second dose should be at 5pm, not at bedtime. Some tweaking may be in order, so get to work. My money is on you. Best, Debbie

Archived