Parenting post stroke

I am a mother of twin 13 yo boys. It kills me to see them rely on their dad so much but I am grateful they have him. i leave him as much room as he needs and I do whatever I can. My boys are great to me. I was raised very strict and my husband very liberal so I don't approve of some of the things he lets them get away with but I have learned to let go and am thankful when I see them again safe. I have to keep remembering that he is their father and he will do whatever necessaray to keep them safe and healthy. Besides that, I remember what I did at their age and I turn a blind eye. We won't even discusss what I did in college. One thing I did learn was that kids are resilient and will adapt to any situation.

• 1 month later...

I am a father to three children, two girls 17 and 13, and a 12 year old boy. My oldest daughter has always been a challenge. She is extremely disrespectful to me and my wife. I was brought up to repect my parents and I guess I expected the same of my kids. My wife does not always seem to share this thought. When my daughter acts up she mostly blames me. She has told me "You're the adult, fix it."

About a month after my stoke my oldest daughter ripped into me saying I was lazy because all I do anymore is sit in my chair and rest/sleep. My birthday was June 2. She told me that I didn't deserve a birthday present. I never expect a birthday present but she really hurt me when she said that. I don't understand why she is always so mean. We've had her to counciling but we cannot force her to keep going. She knows that I have trouble with me speech now. When we have a conversion she talks fast and gives me little opportunity to reply. She treats me like I'm stupid and walks away. Some of my friends with older children tell me that some girls are rotten between the ages of 15 until their early twenties. I'm not sure how I'm going to deal with this until she matures.

My two younger children have been very understanding of my stroke. The morning of my stroke, my yougest daughter layed beside me until the ambulance came to take me away. My son has helped my recovery by playing catch with me. He doesn't care if I can't always get the ball to him. He encourages me to keep trying. I'm sure he is a little sad that I may not be able to coach him anymore. I've coached him for the past 5 years in various sports: baseball, football, and basketball.

• 1 month later...

I am a single mom and my girls are Steffi (20) and Lily (11). I use my iphone for appointments and stuff I can't remember. Steffi looks after me and lily since the strokes.

Archived