Online dating

CagedBird

Katrina, look at it this way;

If you couldn't play sports or video games because you just don't like them, you'd be just as unsuitable a potential romantic partner as some who who doesn't do them because of a limitation.

Yes, he probably was just looking for a "play date." You don't want to be that any how. You want a companion, a partner, not just a hookup.

Write this guy off as just another kid living in a man's body, trying desparately to cling to or recapture his youth because he is scared t odeath of growing up, growing old or taking on the responsibilitites of an actual adult.

You are WAY worth better than that! The right kind of man is out there. Keep looking. We all have to kiss a lot of frogs before we find our prince!

• 1 year later...

You are cute, Katrina! Holy cow!

I have now scared off two people.... Sucks for me, big time. My stroke just happened so I intend on getting better. It had better get better soon! RIght now, I don't drive, I walk badly, I talk dumb, I spill stuff all the time. I think that if I used any online site, the dude would cry when I walked (hobbled) in the room. I think Lydia is right (for me) - I need time because I don't even know who I am right now. It's too early for me. There's been time for you. Lydia is a smart lady - listen to her. Also, I think video games are stupid. I really do. Also, I have heard from many, many girls that a lot of guys on match com just want to sleep with the chick, and the dude saw that you weren't going to sleep with him off the bat. His loss.

Comments from an outsider...It appears to me this online dating thing is horrifying because the guy you meet wants to kill in many cases I see on the evening news!

I am a fan of online dating. IF its a reputable agency. Sometimes sites like that are the only means to "browse the market"

Rock out and have fun

• 2 weeks later...

Fred- I agree online dating can be dangerous. Well in response to the comment you made after my last one, I get too much anxiety when I go to the mall heck I get anxiety going in Wal Mart. I feel like everyone is looking at me and wondering what is wrong with me. I work in the soldier support center now. I see soldiers every day and lots of vets. I don't feel so out of place. So many vets with canes plus I know even the able bodied ones knows at least one buddy that got hurt in combat. I still get anxiety though. Every time I pass a man in uniform I look away or at the ground while trying to remember to straighten my arm and not limp. I guess I will have to stick to online dating and pray for no serial killers!

Lydia, girlmadden, and Kelli- Thank you for all the nice things you said! You all had such sweet words of encouragement. I have come to realize its not me, Most of the time its them. I live in a military town so lots of the guys are just looking for girls with no morals to have fun with. I guess they dont look for committed relationships due to the stressful unpredictable lifestyle of the Army or Airforce. It also doesnt help that they think they are human G.I. Joes and you have to be want to go to the gym with them and be in perfect shape just to get a 2nd date. ehh I dont care anymore. I cant make anyone like me. Their loss.

Caged Bird,

I feel your pain. I don't have anybody in my life right now either and to be truthfull not really looking because I don't think I'm really ready either. So now my life is like this, my old boyfriend who I broke up with a couple years ago is chasing me and I'm chasing this other guy so to speak who just wants to be friends. Then a long time friend broke up with girlfriend and now says maybe we should hook up. Nope don't think so.

It's a mess, but I have backed away from everybody because I need to take this time to focus on me and get my life together as much as I can before I go into another relationship. I already know that I need a lot of attention right now and that might not be fair to him. So when Mr. Right comes along and I just keep believing that he will hopefully I be ready. At first it was kinda lonely but I'm okaynow because me taking care of myself is all that I can handle right now.

As far as online dating, I'm not so sure about that because not being able to see a person's non verbal behavior makes a big difference because we say a lot without saying anything at all. So be careful with believing on the written word, people can really exagerate in most cases.

Pam

• 7 months later...

I was in the online dating world before my stroke and it was horrible , I was 120lbs5'8and wore 6" stillettos, I found nothing but players and users, now post stroke it is even worse, I even joined disabled dating websites and it was more of the same, I find that online dating is like entering the food chain, be careful.

Good luck and protect your heart.

God bless

I appoligize for the spelling mistakes, my left hand still does not function correctly.

, I was 120 lbs 5'8 and wore 6" stilettos,

This was me before the stroke to a tee. Don't get bothered but what was but work to be the best you now. You only have one life so with or without someone now, make sure to make it count!!

Archived