progress is slow

stroke recovery is slow but the main thing is slow or not its going on, i'm sitting here this morning marveling at the fact that my shower last night took 30 minutes when i first came home when whole showering( unassisted) needed 2 hours dedicate to it now i'm down to 30mins and i did not use the pull down seat. i call that progress and i'm so happy with myself today keep thinking 30 mins WOW. every tiny improvement is welcome, some thing to be gratefull for so hang in there we may have our own slow kinda akward way of doing thing but if it works hats all that matters.

jadegreen

Congratulations jadegreen, now that is positive thinking. You are doing great. Every little accomplishment counts in the big picture. Recovery is slow but when you look for all the accomplishments, they do add up and it makes it easier for us to see that our recovery is happening. By winning a lot of small battles we will win the war.

mc

Hi Jadegreen,

That's great! You do have a positive additude about things. Keep it up! But remeber it takes time and somethings are slow to come. But never give up!

Bruce Schwentker

so true, if u want to see improvement compare yourself to when you were in hospital or something, then you will see how far you have come :) and if its not happening for you despite all your efforts dont give up new connections are being forged all the time in your brain. comparing yourself to the you pre -stroke is not being fair to yourself is what i'm trying to say i guess.

Jade

Jadegreen: it is ironic that you made your post this weekend. I gave Bruce (I am caregiver) a can of bathroom cleaner yesterday to wipe his table off with. Next thing I know he's in the bathroom wiping down the sink and toilet: no prompting, no assist. I have been smiling all weekend. Yes we will take our baby steps and small improvements and rejoice in them. Good for you. Debbie

Jadegreen.

Congratulations. you have come along way. I can give a shower to my husband alot faster now than when he first came home. i am very happy about that

Ruth

Jadegreen: it is ironic that you made your post this weekend. I gave Bruce (I am caregiver) a can of bathroom cleaner yesterday to wipe his table off with. Next thing I know he's in the bathroom wiping down the sink and toilet: no prompting, no assist. I have been smiling all weekend. Yes we will take our baby steps and small improvements and rejoice in them. Good for you. Debbie

exactly, thank you for all your kind congratulations. i was thinking about my post later last night and hoped it did not seem like i was bragging or made any feel bad cos they do not seem to be making progress, when i say its slow i mean slow it took 9 years for me to yet to this point, every stroke is different as is the damage caused and sometimes as hard as u try it does not seem to be paying off but it is maybe not where you can see it. safety is a priority you will be bored silly listening to that from everyone doctors , physios etc, yes you may need to go outside your comfort zone sometimes but tired stiff muscles are not very cooperative...so baby steps , its a marathon not a sprint :)

JADE

• 4 weeks later...

Jade,

You have a right to brag!!! Congratulations on your accomplishments.

MJ

Jade, we do not think you are bragging and you are not making any of us feel badly because you are making progress. We rejoice in your progress and want to hear more. Just hearing of anyone's good day gives all of us hope and a smile. Keep up the good work. Debbie

wow Jade. That is sure something to brag about. Progress is very slow but we cant give up, You are doing great. I still see progress after 26 years when I work at it. With every year, looking back you will see a lot of things that are going better, not just physically but mentally too. Keep up the good work Jade,

mc

• 1 month later...

Hiya Jade....

Each little thing you beat, or get better at, is an accomplishment...

Example....I made a goal of mastering zippers...No tool, that time, just a "Dammit....I'm going to do this thing"....I got out of in-hosp rehab in the middle of Winter, and having some one zip up my coat got old, really fast...In the beginning, it sometimes took what seemed like hours....But I kept at it....

Buttons too....I mean buttoning them...I figured this kind of stuff is therapy for me, re: fine motor control...

Congrats on the shower time...keep at it....I have to work on that one....<G>....

It's a long journey.....I remember having to take a break, after getting dressed in the morning....I was so dang clumsy, that getting on socks, pants and then the AFO and shoes and shirt, I was exhausted....Everything I did, was two, maybe three times as much effort as before...

But....you keep at it...

I use day one, after my stroke, as the starting point or frame of reference...That sets my perspective...

Care...

hey jadegreen that is so true progress is very slow at recovery from a stroke slow but steady, and slow is better than not all all gains but i have always found that the more you work at it the more that you will notice it to be getting betterso just keep on working at it jade green and you will get there

WOW! A quarter of the time that's big deal and sure is progress.

It's great to see you recognize it as the great improvement and accomplishment it is.

Many of us only see returning to our prestroke self as the only goal

worth setting sights on and celebrating.

By taking time along the way to appreciate the difference our hard work is making

we become an inspiration to ourselves to continue the journey.

Kudos to you, keep up the great work!

Maria :friends:

Jade,

That is amazing to have done in a shorter time. Little things as that we don't think about but when they are made easier ,what a brilliant thing to happen.

Great job!!!!!

AH great topic. I have been thinking about it recently too. I came up with thinking there should be an expression "stroke slow" as before I got into computers I thought in terms in time as hours, minutes, seconds. now I have learnt of nano-seconds. WOW! Slow use to mean getting behind a driver that goes 25 in a 40 mph zone. Now I have discovered Stroke slow. Recovery creeps along and if you are not careful you can think you have come to a stand still, or a dead end. But if you keep inching along you will find, like the traffic going to the Rose Bowl on New Years you will eventually get where you are going. In Jill's book "Stroke Of Insight" she said she had to remind her self several times a day to continue the path. I find that is true too, but when I look back I see I have been making progress. It is just Stroke slow progress. Thanks for the topic. Good work in your recovery and not giving up

Sharon

Archived