driver's license renrewal

I got my driving license renewal form in the mail today. I live in California. :hot: It asks if I've had a major medical occurance in the last 3 yrs. I had my stroke June 14,2007--so 3 yrs from THAT DATE!!!!! I have driven since my stroke, in fact I drove to my teaching job :cheer: for one whole school year '08-'09. I live in a :Zzzz: VERY small town. My hubby :nuhuh: won't let me drive on freeways or in big city like Fresno. And I'VE AGREED TO THIS CUZZZZZZZZ don't want to, but I would still like to be able to drive locally...so I'm not sure how to answer the question on the form. The physiatrist I had in the hospital didn't report me to DMV or restrict me :ranting: from driving ............. in fact he was a CRAAAAAAAAAAZY :dribble: old man who was gonna release me to drive myself home after only one week. :head_hurts: I don't want to get in :bow: trouble w/ :bop: my insurance or the DMV, but I do want to drive some too? What have :chat: you'all discovered in your DMV adventures :blah_blah: ?????? It seems like it's ALWAYS SOMETHING :growl: to deal w/, huh? :yadayada: :rolleyes: Thank you my friends!!!!! :hug: This is THE B-E-S-T place for help/ :uhm: answers!!!!!!!!!! :):D

congrats.gif

I haven't driven since mine; I miss it terribly still.

Susan coffee.gif

ditto susan.

the fact the you can drive is fantastic!!!

Hi Julie, my stroke was in 2005 and my license was never taken away from me. If I were you, I would select No on the question about a major medical occurence within the last 3 years. Because your stroke was more than 3 years ago. It sounds like you are ready to drive. It will be up to you to put "restrictions" on your driving abilities. I am 5 years post stroke and I still try to avoid the highway when possible, and I refuse to drive long distances. I know my boundaries and I work around them, you will do the same. Congrats!!

I got my driving license renewal form in the mail today. I live in California. :hot: It asks if I've had a major medical occurance in the last 3 yrs. I had my stroke June 14,2007--so 3 yrs from THAT DATE!!!!! I have driven since my stroke, in fact I drove to my teaching job :cheer: for one whole school year '08-'09. I live in a :Zzzz: VERY small town. My hubby :nuhuh: won't let me drive on freeways or in big city like Fresno. And I'VE AGREED TO THIS CUZZZZZZZZ don't want to, but I would still like to be able to drive locally...so I'm not sure how to answer the question on the form. The physiatrist I had in the hospital didn't report me to DMV or restrict me :ranting: from driving ............. in fact he was a CRAAAAAAAAAAZY :dribble: old man who was gonna release me to drive myself home after only one week. :head_hurts: I don't want to get in :bow: trouble w/ :bop: my insurance or the DMV, but I do want to drive some too? What have :chat: you'all discovered in your DMV adventures :blah_blah: ?????? It seems like it's ALWAYS SOMETHING :growl: to deal w/, huh? :yadayada: :rolleyes: Thank you my friends!!!!! :hug: This is THE B-E-S-T place for help/ :uhm: answers!!!!!!!!!! :):D

Hi Julie ~

If you've already been driving and you put restrictions on yourself

then if I were you I would answer the question honestly~You

have not had any major medical in the last 3 yrs. It's been over that

time. Usually the place where your in rehab will inform the DMV about your

stroke. In Oregon they are requered to. For me after 3 yrs in regaining

right side back except for lower leg & ft. my out-patient therapist began

training my brain & giving me the confidence :happydance: to go in & retake

the driving test. Mind you this was after nursing home stay for 6 mos.,

removal of AVM then back to nursing home to regain strength for rehab for

in-patinet care 4 3mos. then home & in-home therapy on to out-patient care

4 2 yrs. (the last was where they worked w/ me to retake test)I drive w/ left

ft. gas pedal as ft. & lower leg never regained control. I passed :goodjob:

small office & town. I only drive locally & in day. We moved back to Idaho

in small town. I'm requered to take seizure meds. permantly if want to drive.

My seizures came after surgery to remove avm.

I hope it goes smooth for you Julie. Keep us posted. :thumbup:

Your Friend ~ Nancy :hug:

Good luck. Mine was suspended due to my stroke. I was pulled over 2 months ago and charged with knowingly driving on a suspended license. This landed me in criminal court with drug and theft offenders. I asked the judge what am I supposed to do, life goes on and my bills and medical expenses don't pay them selves. I HAVE to work and that includes getting to work. He was sympathetic about the situation, he have me 3 months to square the license away. I will be 2 yrs post stroke and not 3. My next court date will be interesting.

Strokes + CDL == best kept secret. Don't let the DMV know. Even the DMV told me that, funny eh?

Hi Julie,

I got my License back in June 6, 2008. I had to get the car alterted in that I got a left peddle extention, some sideview mirrows. Then I had to drive. I tried to get my license one week but they said I needed some more pratice. So I drove for a week and went back and got my license. They said I drove better than most people who drive normally. I was very excited to get my license back. Although I got a speeding ticket the next year. Oh well I have leaned my lesson on that!!

Bruce Schwentker

hey julie, that is wonderful news i know that you will do fine julie , and i know that you areready for this one but wih the insurance issue alway answer the questions to the best of you ability as you want to make sure that you are in fact insured , i am still tring to get my lisence, but i have already been told by my cargiver that even if i get my liscense she will not drive with me so i have decided to not go for it

HI I KNOW HERE IN MICHIGAN YOU CAN RENEW FOR 4 YRS BY MAIL, THEN AFTER THAT, YOU GO IN PERSON TO TAKE AN EYE TEST THEN YOU GET YOUR PIX TAKEN AGAIN FOR YOUR DRIVER LICENSES.UNFORTUNATELY, I TRIED 2X FOR THE EYE TEST. I CAME IN WITH WALKER AND ALL AND SHE WANTED SO BAD TO GIVE ME A DRIVERS LICENSE SINCE I WAS 61, YOUNG, SHE TOLD ME I HAVE 5 YRS TO RETAKE THE EYE EXAM, ANY LONGER I WILL HAVE TO GO TO DRIVER SCHOOL AGAIN. BUT THEY DID GIVE ME A PIX LICENSES FOR ID, CHECK CASHING. DO WHATS RIGHT FOR YOU!!! I WOULD BE HAPPY JUST TO DRIVE SHORT DISTANCES LIKE YOU. BEST WISHES..... PATTY

Julie, Life's short, tell the truth and answer no, have fun, be safe, drive the car. Mike

I also live in CA. 5 years after stroke I went to renew my license and they noticed something wrong with my right arm. I told them I had a stroke 5 yrs ago. I had to go thru the process of filling forms, going for an interview, and having a driving test. I pasted. It was not hard and YES I had been driving for those 5 yrs prior to this.

I also live in Calif. I had to renew and the stroke was evident. I had to fill out forms, go to an interview and take a driving test again. The test lasted about an hour. We drove around several local streets. AND we got on and off the freeway a few times. I live near a beach town so we drove down near the beach where he observed how I did in crowded areas both cars and pedestrians. He was very patient and told me he had a close family friend that had had a stroke but had recovered after some time. It was over all a good experience. I thought I was a good driver, he confirmed it. My fear of having to face the situation was unfounded.

Julie,

Good luck on your renewal, you shouldn't have any problems passing the actual driving test in the car. They let me use one hand on the wheel. They wanted to see a copy of my medicines I take daily, that was it!

I live in CA too. I drove myself home after/during my stroke, which amazes people -- but I haven't since.

My driving limitations since are visual/perceptual. I had some left side neglect (which I believe is very much improved) and some loss of peripheral vision.

My understanding is that for me to drive again, I need to either pass the DMV eye test OR be given a "clean bill of health" by my ophthalmologist. My last communication from her said (might not quite be word for word, but very close): You have loss of peripheral vision consistent with a stroke. See me again in a year.

Umm, thanks, I don't think. My OT gave me some exercises to help me cope with the deficits, and I really hardly notice them most of the time. Of all major life activities from before the stroke, I miss driving the most -- and so for me recovery means driving again.

David

Hi Julie,

Go for it! The guideline was 3 years - you didn't set it, they did. You can answer it truthfully, you know your limitations, so why not? As long as you keep your precautions in mind, I see no reason to not drive. Congratulations on your new independence!

With best wishes,

Sheila

I live in CA too. I drove myself home after/during my stroke, which amazes people -- but I haven't since.

My driving limitations since are visual/perceptual. I had some left side neglect (which I believe is very much improved) and some loss of peripheral vision.

My understanding is that for me to drive again, I need to either pass the DMV eye test OR be given a "clean bill of health" by my ophthalmologist. My last communication from her said (might not quite be word for word, but very close): You have loss of peripheral vision consistent with a stroke. See me again in a year.

Umm, thanks, I don't think. My OT gave me some exercises to help me cope with the deficits, and I really hardly notice them most of the time. Of all major life activities from before the stroke, I miss driving the most -- and so for me recovery means driving again.

David

Please be very careful when it comes to self assessing that hemianopsia (peripheral vision loss) has been corrected or improved.

What you likely also may not realize or notice is that it throws off your center of vision, so when you think you are looking straight ahead you are not. It goes far beyond the left neglect and just not missing things on that side.

You don't want to be going down the road thinking you're one place when in reality you are veering into oncoming traffic.

The only one who should really assess your eyes is a neuro ophthalmologist, not even a regular ophthalmologist.

Good luck and most importantly be safe.

Maria

David

Please be very careful when it comes to self assessing that hemianopsia (peripheral vision loss) has been corrected or improved.

What you likely also may not realize or notice is that it throws off your center of vision, so when you think you are looking straight ahead you are not. It goes far beyond the left neglect and just not missing things on that side.

You don't want to be going down the road thinking you're one place when in reality you are veering into oncoming traffic.

The only one who should really assess your eyes is a neuro ophthalmologist, not even a regular ophthalmologist.

Good luck and most importantly be safe.

Maria

Thank you. I hadn't heard of a neuro-ophthalmologist -- I'll try to get a referral to one.

I took myself off the road. "I wouldn't want to be sharing the road with any driver with my vision issues." I'll try to go back when I'm sure I can do so safely, and not before. And when others confirm that assessment...

My license expires next April and will have only been 2 years since my stroke. I can renew online though and I'm can't remember for the life of me if it asks you about a major medical occurence. I was driving right after my stoke though, I was in the hospital for 5 days and my sister drove me home and I immediately went back out to get some prescriptions.

GA took my license from me and require that I pay $500 for a test. That was 13 years ago. At the rate that I can save living on SS as I do it will be at least 39 more years before I can afford that test.

hoststephen

Hi Julie.....

At my renewal, I could have fudged the question because of a date time, similar to your situation....WI also qualifies as to affects you have in the same question...So...my stroke had happened more than a year ago, but I still had affects that could effect driving...

I told my Doc about it, and he explained by falsifying the question, in terms of my affects, I might have my insurance company leak out on me, should an accident happen.....

He filled out the required report and the Doc recommended restriction to daylight hours, no freeways, and a 20 mile radius from my home...

The WI DMV pulled my license anyway...

Care....

I self reported to MDDMV. and working with them was like developing a new program, no one had a clue about what they needed so I went through a course through PT and recertifed with someone who understood the circumstances. My understanding is that if you're involved in an accident and the Insur carrier discovers you had a stroke (not reported), you could be held liable.

• 3 weeks later...

Julie, you're a lot like me - You love the emoticons like I do! :big_grin: :party:

:congrats:

I haven't driven since mine; I miss it terribly still.

Susan :coffee:

I quit driving when I was 20 because my sensory processing disorder (undiagnosed) affect my ability to drive. It freaked me out, so I decided to not drive, and then decided to drop my license as it never got better and went with the state ID. I still have dreams where I would drive, but without the sensory processing issue.

• 1 month later...

Hi Julie,

I live in Michigan. I'm 6 years post stroke now but I started driving again about a year after my stroke. I saw my eye doctor first who told me that I had 20/20 vision with a very slight loss of pheripheral vision on the left but should be ok with my glasses. I've bee driving ever since. I do pace myself with respect to how far I'm going, when I took my meds, how I'm feeling etc. Since I live in a big city, I've been especially careful but really, I haven't had any trouble. So go for it I say!

Archived