driver's license renrewal

:congrats: on your ability to drive and for your sight 20 20 vision that is great to hear , i hope that you will have a very good time while driving and be safe my friend and go for it

Hi Julie,

I live in Michigan. I'm 6 years post stroke now but I started driving again about a year after my stroke. I saw my eye doctor first who told me that I had 20/20 vision with a very slight loss of pheripheral vision on the left but should be ok with my glasses. I've bee driving ever since. I do pace myself with respect to how far I'm going, when I took my meds, how I'm feeling etc. Since I live in a big city, I've been especially careful but really, I haven't had any trouble. So go for it I say!

That's wonderful news!

I think my peripheral vision is coming back. (Last visit, my ophthalmologist said "You've lost peripheral vision consistent with your stroke. Come see me again in a year." Gee, thanks doc.)

More worrying is that I'm slow to change focus -- somebody says "Do you know what this is?" and I have to ask them to point at it again because they had stopped by the time I focused on their fingers. So that's got to hurt my reaction time to changing road/traffic conditions, traffic lights, ... etc

I really miss driving and the freedom that goes with it. But I'm not going to try it until I'm sure I'm not a threat to myself and everyone else on the road, and I've a ways to go yet for that.

Every survivor who is able to get back on the road helps me believe that I will, too. Again, congratulations!

David

Archived