Laziness

CagedBird

as much as I want to get better, I just have not been motivated. As a young stroke survivor, I though I would get back to normal in a year as the doctors said. However, embarking on my 10th year as a stroke survivor I am realizing I still haven't accomplished goals I made as an inpatient back in 2001. as much as I want to get back to "normal" it just doesnt seem realistic. I wear my brace but instead of leaving it on at night, I wake up in the middle of the night and take it off because it hurts too bad. During the day I just dont see the point in wearing the brace. After an hour and a half my hand hurts so bad from being stretched out and as soon as I take the brace off, my wrist flops back down. I just wish I had something to look forward too because right now exercising seems pointless.

Katrina,

I disagree with you, I don't think it's laziness at all I feel it's a lack of knowledge on how important the exercising is for that side of the body to come back SOME, not all. You were thing it will all come back by itself since you were so young. Let me say, young or old, getting everything back you lost with the stroke is possible but not likely.

So the mind set has to be let me do all I can do as best I can for as long as I can, then see where I am at that point! Now, I know for a fact therapy is needed all the time. The brain was attacked so it can't control that side of the body.

Your only control is eyesight. If you couldn't see where you are putting your foot or hand, you would fall or not catch what you were trying to get your hand on to hold yourself up.

It's not your fault, some people can walk after the stroke, not me, you can, I can not!

Katrina.

Miss college graduate.

Miss 3.8.

You have papers from the state that say you are smart.

Go re-read your degree.

Make a cup of Lipton.

Call back in the morning.

You know you don't have a lazy bone in your body.

You know how proud we are of you. We love you. We support you.

wow i received 4 completely different responses. Lenny suggests I change my physical activity, fred suggests i change my way of thinking, dean suggest i give up on full recovery, and Laverne thinks knowing that i am smart is more important than focusing on full recovery.

well thanks lenny and fred for the motivation.

Dean are you telling me to just give up?

Laverne i know i did well in school but not even becoming President of the United States would be a big enough accomplishment to compensate for the things im not able to do

I know you guys dont have the magic password for full recovery. I guess I just wanted to whine and complain about things that seem difficult and near impossible to change :(

You-Rock.gif Katrina first off.. congratulations.

By all means I do not see a lazy woman before me. You have over come your disabilities to obtain a degree with an outstanding GPA.

I think I'm understanding your thought. In this past 10 years because you're not seeing the visual effects getting better that means you're lazy?

By all means, laziness isn't judged by physical activity per say You've kept your mind exercised which is what was effected in your stroke.

So as you may seem like laziness was involved, I see it as a keeping your brain healthy.gym.gif

Dear CagedBird,

I never meant to upset you. Having you refer to yourself as "lazy" upsets me because it

is so far from who you are. Face it, some of us may never "fully recover". But if we give up hope

what else do we have left? I'll keep you in my prayers. I still believe in prayer. My stroke

is not punishment. It is protection. The degree of protection my not be revealed in my lifetime,

but my God knows. My God doesn't punish by stroke. My God still loves me. He always has. He

always will.

Little Miss Katrina,

Gotta tell you sweetheart ~ Laziness alongside that video in the same post is almost laughable. Sorry you are not one bit lazy!!!

Maybe just a little discouraged, worn down, and tired from years of fighting an uphill battle. It's not easy staying motivated to fight a battle you're not quite sure you will ever win especially after having been fighting challenges all along like being teased and wanting to drive. Despite battling the challenges of your recovery all along you emerged incredibly victorious as the best and brightest of your class.

Perhaps you've also learned along the way that you can accomplish anything in spite of being disabled. Having finished school, you're finding yourself without a goal and place to focus your energy. Doesn't sound lazy to me...more type A. Graduation or accomplishing some major goal can be anticlimactic to those of us who always need to run on the hamster wheel. Most times it's never enough and we're always looking for the next challenge.

This site is jam packed with them.

You might see how "lazy" you're not as a little time moves on and you set your sights on a new goal. I'm thinking down the road Katrina for President. You know you have my vote and at least 8,000 other people here, not a bad start.

Love ya,

Maria :mwah:

Maria, I have to agree with you and I've told her so. I try talking to her as my little daughter or baby sister cause she has overcome a great battle and should be very proud of her accomplishments. She has a whole life ahead of her and walks way better than I ever have in the last 7 years.

I sent her photos of the hand/wrist brace to wear while sleeping so she would be proud of her left hand. I think she got one. She has nothing to be ashamed of and I really wish I could walk like her.

Her story is a real success story about stroke survivors everywhere! She has my vote! :Clap-Hands: :big_grin: :cocktail: I want her to show her left hand in the pictures she takes, there is nothing wrong with it. She saw a photo of mine, I bet she said Wow! I haven't heard from her since!

Katrina that video should be motivation for you. Have you considered a career in public speaking. Congratulations to you for your accomplishments. Lazy??? are you kidding? Anything but sweetie. Find yourself a new goal. You need a goal to be motivated now that you achieved this one. All the best to you sweetheart. I know this is not the end of the road for you. I see you as having a great challenging career. The sky is the limit. You have your whole life ahead of you. Please keep us updated on what you are doing. We are rooting for you Katrina. You should be so proud of yourself. Go girl.

mc

• 3 weeks later...

as much as I want to get better, I just have not been motivated. As a young stroke survivor, I though I would get back to normal in a year as the doctors said. However, embarking on my 10th year as a stroke survivor I am realizing I still haven't accomplished goals I made as an inpatient back in 2001. as much as I want to get back to "normal" it just doesnt seem realistic. I wear my brace but instead of leaving it on at night, I wake up in the middle of the night and take it off because it hurts too bad. During the day I just dont see the point in wearing the brace. After an hour and a half my hand hurts so bad from being stretched out and as soon as I take the brace off, my wrist flops back down. I just wish I had something to look forward too because right now exercising seems pointless.

After the stroke, we are given a bunch of advice by our doctors and various therapists. They won't let you leave without giving you information on what you need to do. I know that you are fully aware of what you need to be doing. Post stroke recovery is not a responsibility we all ask for, nevertheless here it is on our laps. In my time since my stroke, I have classified our group into two types of people. There are the people who DO and the people who DON'T.

I am of the opinion that if you are a DON'T, you should seek help with a psychologist. Something in your head is preventing you from doing what you should be. It is hard yeah, it is painful yeah, seems like it doesn't help yeah. But, it is something that has to be done regardless.

There is benefit, even if you don't see it.

Dean are you telling me to just give up?

No, I think the idea is that you can't get back to your previous brain patterns but you can rehabilitate yourself to a new you. I personally haven't let go of getting back to full recovery but that is probably just denial on my part. I do want to get back to the activities I used to love but I am starting to realize I may always be at a beginner level. Kinda hard to take considering my physical activities were extremely important. I'm conflicted on this one Julia Fox-Garrison is a survivor who wrote a book and in it she talks about her medical staff telling her she was in denial about her ability to get back to her previous self. She ignored them and pretty much recovered.

Sorry, not much help.

Dean

• 2 months later...

I think this might help put some perspective on things:

Lazy

la·zy [ láyzee ] not wanting to work: unwilling to do any work or make an effort

1. conducive to idleness: contributing to an unwillingness to work or make an effort
  2. slow: moving slowly

Synonyms: indolent, idle, lethargic, languid, sluggish, slothful

Unmotivated

Adj.1.unmotivated - without motivation Antonyms: motivated - provided with a motive or given incentive for action; "a highly motivated child can learn almost anything"; "a group of politically motivated men"

Exhausted

a : to consume entirely : use up <exhausted our funds in a week> b : to tire extremely or completely <exhausted by overwork> c : to deprive of a valuable quality or constituent <exhaust a photographic developer> <exhaust a soil of fertility> 2a : to draw off or let out completely b : to empty by drawing off the contents; specifically : to create a vacuum in 3a : to consider or discuss (a subject) thoroughly or completely b : to try out the whole number of <exhausted all the possibilities>

Please don't confuse lazy or unmotivated with just plain exhausted and worn out. Lazy or unmotivated people don't earn degrees. Exhausted peole have moments where it is difficult to get up and accomplish things, not because they don't want to do them, just because, as the saying goes, the spirit was willing but the flesh was weak.

• 2 months later...

You are grieving right now. You thought it would all come back but it didn't. You are so young and it seems only fair that you would get it all back. The thing is, the doctors can't promise anything, but they wanted to give you hope. And now you are depressed, and that's ok. Grief takes a long time to work through. You might want to get on an anti-depressant to help you through it. I understand about hope, but sometimes acceptance sets us free. I'm sorry for you. You will keep improving slowly, but sometimes you just have to cry about the sadness that life brings us.

Archived