Cause of stroke What caused your stroke?

Gavin

My jeep hit a telephone pole and then flipped, none of the 7 airbags went off. The trauma caused my right interior carteroid artery to disect with 100% occlusion, did noght find out until three days later when I went in to er not feeling right, was the airlifted to a larger hospital. Luckily my daughter was in the car with me and was unharmed!!! The entire front drivers side of my jeep was ripped off including the wheel before it flipped and it split the telephone pole in half, I am lucky to have survived twice that week, one in the wreck and then again from the stroke. :) Funny thing is I swore to Emergancy response that I was fine, all weekend I sent text messages that were gibberash to people telling them I was great and did not need to go to the dr. I look ayt the messages now and they were combinations of numbers and letters, glad I finaaly listened and went to get checked, lol. (I'm kinda stubborn). Crazy how I can type half way decent buty my twxt messages are a mess.

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have Antiphoshillipid antibody syndrome. I have had 2 DVT's prior to my stroke while I was in my 20's. I have been on coumadin since then but my INR was subtheraputic so I had the stroke. I have other health issues like lupus which they think may have contributed to it.

• 2 months later...

According to the neurologist, mine hit because, of all things, I quit drinking beer. I was a pretty heavy beer drinker for years, and had long term high blood pressure I never knew about. I went about two weeks without a beer, no real reason, just didn't drink. Spent a day working in the yard and garden, burning off brush piles and getting the garden in. Came in at 5 p.m. to have a glass of iced tea and watch the news and the stroke hit. Didn't have a clue until I reached for my tea and my left arm stayed on the armrest. Doc said that quitting the beer affected my blood pressure, overloaded a capillary in my brain and caused it to collapse. So whatever you do ... never quit drinking beer! (Yeah, right ... almost three months post and I'm still dry. I'd love a beer, but I'm having a hard enough time standing. I can only imagine all the stumbles, trips and falls I'd take if I got lit now that I'm a cripple!)

Well mweland, that's interesting about the beer. My doctor actually tells me it's OK to have ONE drink a day, despite my statins, although I'm not the one that had the stroke. My husband, who did have a stroke, still has his happy hour glass of something most nights and I swear it does him good. Although he's in a wheelchair so no worries about falling, it doesn't affect him that much!

Mweland. Welcome. Bruce and I used to have happy hour on the deck every night. We have a good life, both well-educated, employed in very stressful areas and that was our down time. We also in those days, both smoked.

Bruce's alcohol of choice was a beer, mine wine. We had a traumatic experience this weekend, and we ended up out on our deck, at sunset. Part of this was Bruce evaluating the damage and results of the Tree landscapers. I offered him a beer-trying to get his mind off of what he just lost and a reminder of what we used to have. No go. He says it doesn't taste the same, only makes him more incontinent. My thoughts, altho sad, were good for him. A beer without a cigarette is just not the same.

While we all want to know the cause of the stroke, sometimes the answer just doesn't help. Go with your recovery and don't look back. Debbie, caregiver to Bruce, stroke March 2009.

• 1 month later...

Thanks for your insight, Debbie. I think we are getting to that point, no longer worrying about what caused the stroke but looking to the future to see how far my husband (Joe, ischemic stroke 9/25/12) can get in his recovery. Doctors couldn't find where the blood clot that dissected his left carotid and lodged in the cerebral artery came from, and they suspect he had been having TIA's for some time but didn't look for the cause. He also enjoys a beer once a week with his pizza, and I am just glad he is around to enjoy it.

Hi Gavin,

I had both HBP and cholesterol Just before my bleed My BP was running 200/100 since the i have spent a small fortune on Lipitor and Norvasc Both BP and cholesterol are downe to more reasonable levels so I must be dowinh something right. It has been 15 years since the ICH and no new trouble.

hoststephen

• 1 month later...

Hi, I had a blood clot that went through a hole in my heart and up to brain. Doctor's were never able to figure out why I has the blood clot. It's a weird thing, because it happened exactelly one month after I become engaged. I think that God was trying to slow me down and keep me from making a big mistake ( it didn't work). I had suregery to close the hole, and it's been ten years since my stroke and I'm been divorced and very happily remarried (that's the short of it).

Funny you say that, I swear he was trying to slow me down too. :) My mom would say he kept trying and I wouldn't listen so he slammed on the brakes! Now I listen, lol.

• 4 weeks later...

My doctors cannot tell me what caused my stroke- at first they thought it was my birth control pill, but my neuro doesn't think this was the cause, still doing tests to determine

• 2 weeks later...

Kind of curious, what caused everyone's stroke. Drugs, accident, stress, disease? Mine was caused by the blood vessels becoming inflamed and causing a clog. Not sure why anything became inflamed. But, I am always curious about this sort of thing.

Mine was caused by A-Fib. I went to bed having a bad episode of A-Fib and woke up in the middle of a stroke.

Brian

• 3 weeks later...

biggrin.gif Hi Gavin my strokewas caused because I was to physically fit. I gave up smoking in 2001 did the usual and pu on weight

So decided to get fit and loose those extra pounds the fitter I got the slower my heart started to beat which is normal except my slowedto much and as everybodys heart slows down when they sleep mine went to far so my blodd turned to sludge n my brain giving me a left sided hemeporisis on 0407204 I nowhave a pacemaker for my troubles but have got 95% of my functions back blahblah1.gif hope this helps n some way

host ged

how long before you got 95% back and are things continuing to improve?

mine was caused by a-fib and apperently i had 2 previous ones i was not even aware of. 1st paralyzed my hand then over a week it was up to my shoulder and then my left leg. i can't take drugs for a-fib because i am on asthma drugs. i take coumidin, asthma drugs, 5mg of lisinipril even though my bp is low. .....also take lorazapam for anxiety.

before stroke i just took low dose asperin and asthma drugs, never smoked, low colesterol, vegitarian, didn't drink caffiene or acohol.

linda

i went to hospital slurring numb paralyzed hand and told them i think i am having a stroke because of the a-fib. i was told go home you have carpel tunnel. if they would have done a ct scan i could have had a a tpa.

day 2 go to another hospital doc says he thinks cva or ms or tumor does a cat scan.........was told it was normal when in fact it was clearly there . docs changed shifts another doc sent home said i was fine even though the paralysis was progressing.

monday morning i have my yearly cardio check up my cardio doc leaves me in a room goes to the waiting tells my hubby to bring me to hospital 3 a larger teaching hospital.....they admit me right away have the ct sent to them which was clear and noted by the radiogist to keep me and repeat in 24 hours this is from hospital 2. in hospital 3 they did tons of tests lupis, rh, heart, brain ect.. released after 2 nights. no follow up. begged every rehab center to take me finally 6 months post i get admitted 2 days later they tell me i am too far advanced and want me to go home. i begged for a full week. told them i am always dizzy. sent home.being home just 2 weeks i fell

down stairs had an extreme break in my arm....because of the stroke no surgery to put pins in my arm ...cast it send me home. totally unimpressed with our healthcare now.

Linda,

I gotta comment here that in your situation it's a wonder you survived the stroke with all of what you endured at three different hospitals and the state of health you had ongoing at the time this all came about!! God is blessing you and I'm thinking the health system there is so much better than in the US!!!! Anyway read the comment I added to your post about going to work!!!!!

Ahneishia,

We all want to know what cause our stroke? could we havedone something to stop it from happening? It has taken me three years to accept that it happen to me, and it could have been worse. I pass out twice before I had my stroke. I kept telling the doctors that I did not feel" right", but they send me home saying my bloodpressure was a little hight, then my blood sugar was high. When I had my stroke, the doctor came in and said " yes, you had a second stroke" I did not know I had a first one!

I was so angry with the doctors, but I haded to let it go, my blood pressure was high, I could not walk, my speech was terriable, couldnot use a computre, I was a mess. Throught God, husband, friends,and my grand kids, I fought back. Now I walk,slow,but steadty, I use the computer, takes me a while, but Iam making it.

This web site has helped me alot, and I look for the postive. I watch what I eat, read, play with my grand kids,and let my angry at the doctors go. I thank God every new day that I made it. Keep coming on the site, join the chat room, hope to see you around.

Yvonne

The actual cause is still unknown. I went to the hospital for stomach pain was told my blood level was low and they had to admit me. I got a blood transfusion then the next day I was wheeled down to an endoscopy and when I got back to my room I couldn't talk the only thing that was coming out of my mouth was numbers but I thought I was saying words. I woke up 3 days later to a woman giving me a sponge bath in icu the next morning I found out that I had a stroke. Blood clot on left side and brain bleed. After that the journey began inpatient therapy speech physical occupational. Surely wasnt hoe i expected my life to be st 28. My life went in pause and I'm still fighting to get it back. I'm blessed though things could have been a lot worse. Still the cause is unknown.

• 2 weeks later...

i had a massive right side cva from a blood clot the doctors originally called it a cryptogenic stroke which is a stroke of unknown origin i am seeing a neurologist who suspected that given my age at the time of the stroke 59yrs and non smoker no high blood presssure or high colesterol he had me tested for a PFO

Patent Forman this is a hole in the heart that everyone is born with in most people the hole closes in on it's own i underwent a bubble test where air is put into the blood in the heart if the bubbles show up making it to the brain then the PFO exists and most likely the cause of the blood clot I will be having the hole repaired I'm just glad that the reason for the stroke has been found my name is Bill

• 2 weeks later...

the cause of my brain damage/stroke was a golf-ball size berry aneurysm on my mid cerebral artery that burst sometime after horrendous straining trying to help my husband stand a telephone pole size pole at the end of our lane for a gatepost so I had a lot of fresh blood to kill brain cells in a large area. this was the biggest giant aneurysm my neuro had ever seen & was concerned about the repair - it came down to fix it & stroke - or die. due to the size of it he had to clamp off the mid-cerbral artery-cutting blood to areas served by the MCA for the surgery which ended up being 13 hrs as he'd have it fixed - unclamp only to still leak - close up try again - picture still leaking etc. re open try again -- 13 hrs later-- success. Brain was so swollen had to leave out a boneplate to save & replace when all swelling was down 6+ weeks in ICU bone replaced 3 mos later - in hosp 6 mos.

Doc figured it had to have been growing all my life to get so big - no warning signs.

Risks: heavy smoker & drinker.

Susan from Alberta Canada

• 3 weeks later...

I had an Ischemic Stroke, 36 hours post hospital d/c, after successful Cath Ablation procedure to tx A-Fib....still in normal sinus rhythm! Right frontal lobe took the hit.....Dr. hypothesis='new' blood thinner medicine did not work.....was ineffective as an anticoagulant....so....clot formed from normal healing of procedure, lifted, and caused embolism. Now, I've been on the tried and true "Coumadin".....Will not use anymore 'New' medicines, until proper testing, and proven efficacy is established!

• 3 weeks later...

Well mweland, that's interesting about the beer. My doctor actually tells me it's OK to have ONE drink a day, despite my statins, although I'm not the one that had the stroke. My husband, who did have a stroke, still has his happy hour glass of something most nights and I swear it does him good. Although he's in a wheelchair so no worries about falling, it doesn't affect him that much!

i don't mean to hijack the subject, but my dad used to live with me. he was a heavy DRINKER and due to a on the job accident was paralyzed inn a wheelchair. he had a electric scooter and had the habit of stopping and and not turning the chair off and it would move when the joystick was moved again . i don't know if it was drinking or if he just fell asleepas he would on my lania out by the pool but i came home from work one day in January 2009 and found him facedown in the pool scooter on the pool bottom. so if you have a wheelchair or scooter be aware of what could happen.

Archived