Cause of stroke What caused your stroke?

Gavin

Kind of curious, what caused everyone's stroke. Drugs, accident, stress, disease? Mine was caused by the blood vessels becoming inflamed and causing a clog. Not sure why anything became inflamed. But, I am always curious about this sort of thing.

It deoends on which doctor you ask. but for sure it was a hemorrhage & it happened 2 days after I gave birth to my son.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The doctor's couldn't pinpoint the exact reason for my stroke. I had a lot of risk factors, family history of heart attack, high blood pressure, high cholesterol, weight, I was on birth control and suffered from migraines almost daily.

i was told that the birth control pills thickened my blood even though i don't have any clotting factors. that was the only thing they could come up with. since then i've learned of a number of people having strokes as a result of the pill. i have also suffered from migraines in the past . connections? sorry for no capital letters but it greatly reduces my typing ability doing it with only the one hand. another reason why my family and i think it happened was to help my son. he was in the marines and in the iraq war when i had my stroke. the marines granted him a humanitarian tranfer,my husband is also disabled. i feel that if i didn't have the stroke he may have been killed or injured, for that reason, it was more than worth it.

mlp

• 2 months later...

my stroke was cause by freak sports accident. i was hit n head with flying baseball bat while coachin a h.s. game during my student teaching. ruptured artery n my brain causing subdural hematoma n subsequent brain stem stroke when i was 22.

I had 2, each a week apart, had I not been diagnosed with a pinched nerve the 2nd could had been prevented. My strokes were caused by the birth control patch, Ortho Evra.

I had an enlarged heart which may or may not contributed to the stroke. I had pnuemonia that week and still trying to get a doctor to admit that there is a pnuemonia/stroke connection. Anybody ever hear anything about this? I just recently lost forty pounds prior to the stroke. I was asympytomatic (without symptoms) I was taking one blood pressure medication, but not for high blood pressure, to help my heart beat smoother, with less work. I don't know if these had any caustive factors or not. I had one doctor say to me "It was just dumb luck". And my cardiologist when asked "Could you have prevented this?", he said, "No".

Oh by the way, I had my stroke on Nov 5th 2009. It was an ischemic type that affected three parts of brain that left me unable to speak. Thank God for email.

-phildogg

Bruce and I have been co-habitating for 25 years. On March 5th, 2009 he asked me to marry him. We were in a good spot. He had recently changed jobs, now working for a dear friend and respected cohort; me in Nursing at the same place for 17 years. Time to take me off private pay health insurance and work on a good retirement portfolio. On March 21st my sister and our two nieces arrived for the weekend to celebrate our niece and Goddaughter's 16th birthday. Bruce and I picked up our wedding rings at the Jewelers in the morning, then we went to my brother's for dinner. Came home here, the girls put in a DVD and Mary Beth, Bruce and I had a drink and went to bed. At 2 am March 22nd, Bruce got up to go to the BR and fell. From the streetlight through the window I saw the way he went down and just knew.

Cause of stroke: stress of deciding on marriage after 25 years-lol. Only kidding.

Blocked carotids: Left side totally blocked due to stroke, right side endarterectomy two weeks later. Heredity and smoking. No high BP, no high cholesterol, some family history. Complete physical two weeks prior.

The doctor's couldn't pinpoint the exact reason for my stroke. I had a lot of risk factors, family history of heart attack, high blood pressure, high cholesterol, weight, I was on birth control and suffered from migraines almost daily.

i was told that the birth control pills thickened my blood even though i don't have any clotting factors. that was the only thing they could come up with. since then i've learned of a number of people having strokes as a result of the pill. i have also suffered from migraines in the past . connections? sorry for no capital letters but it greatly reduces my typing ability doing it with only the one hand. another reason why my family and i think it happened was to help my son. he was in the marines and in the iraq war when i had my stroke. the marines granted him a humanitarian tranfer,my husband is also disabled. i feel that if i didn't have the stroke he may have been killed or injured, for that reason, it was more than worth it.

mlp

mlp,

Hi, I'm Susan and in answer to you question about the link to migraines andstroke, Yes you can have a migraine and a resulting stroke. The Neurologists call that type of migraine a Complex migraine and they are so bad they result in the stroke. that is what is thought to have caused my 2nd stroke. I've had 2 strokes, my first one was worse than the second one but my neurologist explained this to me when we were trying to figuse out what was going on prior to me having the first stroke. He said it was one of those common yet not very common thngs. I'm glad your son is home. thank his for his bravery and honor for our country, yours as well for your service in having him over there. Bless you all.

Susan

Dont know, all tests dont know.

On February 5th, 2010, my spouse Larry, had an ischemic stroke. In hospital all heart tests were normal. Left carotid completely blocked and right 50-60% blocked. No surgery recommended at the time until Larry went to rehab for 6 weeks. He had no high blood pressure, no high cholesterol but history of strokes and heart disease in family. He had been under stress trying to complete his work and permanently retire. The first vascular surgeon was apprehensive about the cause. The stroke affected his left side and the left side was totally blocked. Usually, it is left side blocked, right side affected. The vascular surgeon at the hospital Larry was taken to wanted to do a stent on right carotid artery after 6 weeks. He didn't even order further tests. We got a second opinion by another top doc vascular surgeon. After reviewing all previous tests and ordering another MRI & dopplar, he said he didn't think the stroke was caused by the right carotid. He said it may have been something in the brain. So, we are sticking with him and going for regular carotid dopplars every 6 months until he feels it necessary to do surgery. So far so good and hopefully, it will be the right move.

Julie

I had 2, each a week apart, had I not been diagnosed with a pinched nerve the 2nd could had been prevented. My strokes were caused by the birth control patch, Ortho Evra.

Im glad I went off that and to the Ring but I still had a stroke lol

Mine was a bleed too from a vessel bursting in the brain which I was told it was from HBP. They didn't operate to relieve the pressure from the build up of blood. I remained in the hospital for 4 months still came home unable to walk. It was a major, major stroke plus I didn't get to a hospital for nearly 7 hours to be treated!

I just went pass 7 years recovering on the 15th of this month. :big_grin:

• 2 weeks later...

Systemic lupus shriveled blood vessles in my brain. Bicuspid aortic valve (birth defect) has regurgitation & buildup - is throwing off clots. combination = embolic stroke.

Brain Bleed from High Blood Pressure! Then didn't get to the hospital for several hours.

• 2 months later...

We are all very glad we survived and glad to be here!

Dont Know

I had a congenital enlarged heart. I was going along just fine. I recently lost 40 lbs. and had a new job. Then, I went to bed on the night of November 5th, 2009 and woke up to a stroke.

A piece of platelet dislodged and blocked my blood. I am now on Plavix antiplatelet drug.

• 1 month later...

Kind of curious, what caused everyone's stroke. Drugs, accident, stress, disease? Mine was caused by the blood vessels becoming inflamed and causing a clog. Not sure why anything became inflamed. But, I am always curious about this sort of thing.

I thought, for sure, I had answered this before, but I guess not.

My strokes were the result of effects of systemic Lupus on blood vessels in my brain, plus clot material breaking off of the buildup on my aortic valve - which is malformed. I'm on preventative medications now, but there will be other strokes in the future.

Gavin, I have learned by reading responses that there are many causes for a stroke, making mine sound so "typical". Which is a good thing in a way, because it served as a reminder that I am not alone. Anyway, I'm not sure that the docs ever really knew what caused my stroke. I think they surmised, rather than knew, what caused it. For instance, right after the stroke, my bp was 140systolic, and don't know bottom number. But, I'd never had high bp before. I think my bp was elevated because I was absolutely terrified! My cholesteral was also elevated. My cholesteral was aways borderline, so, yes I believe it could have"crossed the border" into the high range. But,because I was "not responsive" the docs didn't know that my mother had a stroke from an aneurysm rupture 30 yrs. before me, or that I had worked at a high-stress job for about 20 yrs. o, given the fact that the docs put me on bp and cholesteral meds, I think the docs surmised that hi bp + hi cholesteral + smoking = stroke. And, they may be right, so I always take my meds, even tho I tend to believe that family history + hi sress + smoking = stroke. To tell you the truth, tho, while I have always been a curious person, I'm more concerned with dealing with it, rather than what caused it. Btw,I had a massive hemorrgic stroke in the pons. Happy Hunting, Becky

Gavin, I have learned by reading responses that there are many causes for a stroke, making mine sound so "typical". Which is a good thing in a way, because it served as a reminder that I am not alone. Anyway, I'm not sure that the docs ever really knew what caused my stroke. I think they surmised, rather than knew, what caused it. For instance, right after the stroke, my bp was 140systolic, and don't know bottom number. But, I'd never had high bp before. I think my bp was elevated because I was absolutely terrified! My cholesteral was also elevated. My cholesteral was aways borderline, so, yes I believe it could have"crossed the border" into the high range. But,because I was "not responsive" the docs didn't know that my mother had a stroke from an aneurysm rupture 30 yrs. before me, or that I had worked at a high-stress job for about 20 yrs. o, given the fact that the docs put me on bp and cholesteral meds, I think the docs surmised that hi bp + hi cholesteral + smoking = stroke. And, they may be right, so I always take my meds, even tho I tend to believe that family history + hi sress + smoking = stroke. To tell you the truth, tho, while I have always been a curious person, I'm more concerned with dealing with it, rather than what caused it. Btw,I had a massive hemorrgic stroke in the pons. Happy Hunting, Becky

Glad to see this thread is still alive. I started it over a year ago, read I never said what actually caused mine. Vasculitis, blood vessels in my brain became inflamed. Coming up on 3 years, I think 2-ish more and with my controlled blood pressure, I am back to a clean start as far as risk factors.

mine was a haemorrhagic stroke, as to why, no real reason was ever detected, high blood pressure being the main suspect. My left side was affected and 10 years on i still have no use of my left arm, my left leg recovered sufficiently to be able to walk around the house, until i twisted on my knee in January and broke it in two places, i can walk with my cane now even slower than before and i only do it under the supervision of the physiotherapist, falls rob you of confidence which is not as obvious as the physical evidence. I'll get over that eventually too. The breaks are healed now but the muscles are giving me grief- they are weak and inclined to be sore making me doubly unsure about getting up and walking with my cane even for a few steps, I guess I'm a wimp letting the fear get the better of me like this but i never ever want to find myself in the position i found myself on 17th January this year. I knew there was a long road ahead and exactly what it entailed. it was in a way like being right back at square one.thats my story.

Jade

Archived